Best 11 Right Now

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LuckofLichaj, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Weah has a long way to go before he reaches Morris' level of technical skill/consistency/defensive contribution but he can always try ! A flash here and there will not cut it in a tournament like WC. Nobody can say he will not get his chance when he is playing in ligue 1. Now just have to see it.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's a lotta cooks in the kitchen !

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sargent is good at running slants into positions that open the midfield; Morris actually gets behind cb's - a little like Haaland, dare I say. You don't see it so much in Seattle where they like to use Morris as a winger.

If you don t have anything better to do, watch these extended highlights of the MLS Cup game and you'll see how Morris is bottled up on the left wing. At 1:34 an unfortunate pass gives Morris, who is now in the center, the chance to jump on a pass and blow by Toronto's full back Auro who is no slouch defensively. You can expect to see Berhalter use Morris the same way for Nats so don't expect too much from him. Note on Morris: I always felt he had more speed on natural surface than the pitch in Seattle.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Coton has a solid rep as a good-for-nothing. Howard wouldn't be by far the first guy to write about him in bad terms. There's a reason his own autobiography is titled "There To Be Shot At" --and he's not meaning just his time as GK.

As Head of Recruitment in Sunderland he's one of the most hated men around:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/tony-coton.1490810/

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for leadership but for play. Sargent's coach is complaining he's not following instructions
    Jordan is only 25 until October. 27-28 should still be explosive.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to who in the pool was a speed player since the poster said Morris wouldn't be speedy forever.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Curly Doyle's 2022 squad projection--

------------------------------Sargent,Pepi--------
    ------Pulisic,Morris---------------------------------------Reyna, Weah
    ------------Aaronson, Ledezma--------McKennie, Pomykal
    -----------------------------Adams, Yueill
    ---Robinson, Vines-----------------------------------------Dest, Cannon-----
    ----------------Brooks, Richards, Long, Robinson----------
    -----------------------Steffen, Turner, Ochoa

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...-daydreaming-about-2022-us-mens-national-team

8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah is flagrantly more technical than Jordan. Try watching the games in HD, or even on TV. Also, Weah ran his socks off in the U20, his defense really stood out against France so I doubt his defensive contribution is in question.

Patrick167 repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    here are the defenders and right midfielder) on france's u20 team that Weah faced:

Zagadou - plays for the senior team at BVB in the same season as the USMNT game
    Kamara - plays for the senior team at Marseille
    Ndicka - plays for the senior team at Eintract
    Basila - plays for senior team at Nantes
    Fofana- plays for senior team at Monaco

This defense is materially better than any in MLS that Morris has gone up against so I think it's deeply unfair to call it a U20 team.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Has Weah kicked on, since the U20s?

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Not sure I know what this means. I am pretty pessimistic now about Weah given his injuries but he was in a good position to be one of our best attackers before he got hurt.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does that have to do with technical ability? He’s clearly more technical than Morris. That’s not to say he’s a better player.

14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not writing off a 19 year old over a couple of hammy tears. He's not coming off a knee injury or hip etc.

I bet he's a 50 cap guy for us.

Deadtigers, gogorath and DHC1 repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Michael Owen says 'hi'.

16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    89 England caps and 40 goals. I'll take it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I will happily eat crow if he become a multi-year major league player and contributes at that level for the USMNT. More than happily. :)

50/50 Ball repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Aged 18, Owen won the Premier League Golden Boot. His hamstring injuries cost him GOAT status. Weah is 20, has ruptured hamstrings on both legs, and folks go on about his U20s.

STR1 repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Most people go on about his abilities - as demonstrated with the USMNT, at the U20s, and in flashes at Celtic and PSG - but YMMV.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #1870 IndividualEleven, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    No doubt, Weah had shown flashes of ability, which was why I placed on my 'B' team of projected World Cup rosters.

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I responded to the below. I have never for a second thought that Weah's skills were in question until this. This is like somebody asking if Jordan is fast, these are not open questions among reasonable people.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The problem with Weah is a little like the problem with Ledezma.

At this stage of the game, we really need to get beyond "shows promise" level of criticism and take a circumspect attitude towards some players based on their inability so far to overcome the weaknesses in their game.

Will they learn to play or end up like Yedlin who doesn't appear in Curly Doyle's lineup above, in spite of being a starter for Newcastle in the prem? Yedlin doesn't appear in my lineup either because we have Dest to start at rb. I put Cannon in same group as Weah and Ledezma: Please show me a "complete" game, that is, show me you have enough tools in the belt to get the job done. I can't watch Yedlin's balloon crosses and frequent naps at the far post anymore. He may be fine for a club but going into a tournament where we expect to face at top 8 team, I'd rather have a player of a different character like Dest.

STR1, Bajoro and majspike repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Has every person with hamstring injuries dropped off a cliff.

It's always a possibility that that happens, but more people recover than not. I'm not sure why this should preclude Weah from being in someone's theoretical Best XI.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You know you've reached the end of the discussion on BS when these words are written: "it's always a possibility...…….."

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Weah has ruptured and required surgery on hamstrings on each leg. That's an extreme subset of 'hamstring injuries'.

I have no idea how he'll come back, but for now, it makes little sense to project him as a WC'22 player.