Best 11 Right Now

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LuckofLichaj, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I would start him against Uruguay for certain. We begin the group with Bolivia, and then Panama, and then Uruguay, and winning the group is probably essential to avoid Brazil in the QF. So I'd plan to start him against Uruguay and probably the first match against Bolivia. I'd rest him against Panama if we got the win against Bolivia. He's capt #1. Pulisic is capt #2. Ream #3.

ifsteve and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #12227 IndividualEleven, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Goalkeeper aside, that would seem the strongest generic lineup. It would certainly be a strong candidate for use against one of the majors. Adams, Maloney, and Johnny all start in double-pivots.

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I’m not really worried about back line depth. I think trustee and CCV provide adequate cover, and I think that Scally played better than most people here think he played in the last match for the national team.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think right now we're a solid team with several players in good form. We should aim to a semifinal run at home, only Argentina and Colombia are clearly better than us and Uruguay is quite even (Bielsa is a factor though). Brazil right now is beatable, but their prestige may be too much for our young lot.

5. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m bored.
    As of right now:

BOLIVIA
    Wright
    Puli Gio BA
    TA DLT
    Jedi Ream CR Dest

PANAMA
    Pepi/Sarg
    Puli* BA* Weah
    JC Musah/WM
    Jedi CCV CR Joe*

URUGUAY
    Balogun
    Puli Gio BA
    TA Mus/DLT/WM*
    Jedi Ream CR Dest

I know most won’t agree, but this is my take. And for those that love putting WM and Weah in every lineup, these are my first guys off the bench.

6. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Who's BA? Bruce Arena? Isn't he a tad old and out of shape?

7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    i give hint: he has a bro named Paxten

RossD repped this.
  8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Aaronson for me is way behind Weah on the wing and third string at ACM

laxcoach, RossD and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the logical take. But 'creative' lineups are a thing on BS and thankfully not with good coaches.

Calling BS repped this.
  10. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MMA was also the ‘logical’ choice for the World Cup, but only really worked in 1 out of 4 games. Good coaches use creative lineups all the time and get good results. And this isn’t as “creative” as you may think. Only two positions are out of what 99% of people on BS would want, and in those two positions you have arguably the best current in-form players.
    Which traditional CM or CAM/wing currently start in a big 4 league more than those two?

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #12236 Excellency, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    based on what? Just curious

Edit: Brenden has 8 goals in 40 appearances for USA. Iirc most of those would be sub appearances.
    Weah has 5 goals in 37 appearances and I assume most are as starter. Not trying to "create" anything here. Just saying.

I value Weah and have him as locked in starter at RB for Copa, especially after his flawless appearances at rwb for Juve.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Balogun is not in good form. He's had two good games (Coupe @ Rouen & L1 @ Metz) this year. Otherwise often he's just a number on the field.

13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I don’t know how things are going to look for us @ the Copa. But I hope Greg just keeps it simple. Identify your best 15 or 16, and play 11 of them each match in the positions where they can be comfortable in a role and dangerous to the opponent. Use rotation so as to control the minutes of the top players who can’t go 90x3.

14. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Scally first choice to replace Dest?

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think we’re going to learn a little bit about Gregg’s ability to adjust tactically. Without Dest we are nowhere near as press resistant. Especially with the MMA midfield and especially without Ream. Right back depth has stagnated…should be interesting.

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I don't think MMA is our first choice midfield. Reyna has started pretty much every match for which he was available since the WC.

There are several ways to go if Dest is out this summer:

1) Scally

2) Some other fullback: Jones, Reynolds, Yedlin, Moore. No great choices.

3) Someone who primarily plays a different position: Weah, McKennie, Musah, Adams, Richards

It is going to be interesting. I think Gregg will try the first two options first but end up going with the third one by the elimination round of Copa.

tomásbernal repped this.
  17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I mostly mean building out of the back…without Serge we look pretty terrible in the build out. We look a little better with Ream in there, but if we are not dropping Reyna deep to pick up the ball we get into trouble. Adams can’t do it, maybe Johnny would be a little better. McKennie is serviceable if he drops deep. Musah can carry it obviously.

I’m suggesting that Gregg’s idea of possession to maintain shape and rest defense deteriorates into us getting our asses kicked against good teams if we don’t have enough technical players in the build up. And Serge is the main outlet. We can’t really replace that without dropping Reyna deep.

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna dropping deep and running into Ream is no help.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna dropped deep to help deter the Mexican press in the NL final last month. It worked very well I thought, as it allowed our team, as a unit, to move up the field with confidence. It's the reason that I always have valued Darlington Nagbe as a player (though I think Nagbe is perhaps the best American player ever in this point of valuation--no one can take the ball off of him, so go forth the rest of you!).

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I agree. If Ream is back there we can at least build through the middle and move Gio up the field. Until we get countered and have Luis Diaz running at Tim Ream.

I think a backline of Robinson-Robinson-Richards-Scally would be a turnover machine.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    1. Weah: mostly played fullback last season. He wouldn't be playing out of position. Might actually be better than Dest.
    2. Brooks Lennon: is having a phenomenal season. Should be brought in for the friendlies to gauge whether he is athletically good enough.
    3. Adams or McKennie: we're not exactly thin in central midfield.

Scally should be at the Olympics
    Jones has fallen off. Has he been playing with an injury?

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I don't know how we're going to replace Dest in the Copa. Obviously with Scally. But this changes everything.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Good shout, I like any of Weah, Adams or McKennie over Scally.

tomásbernal repped this.
  24. tefftlon

tefftlon Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 11, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I hope to see that's more "Best 23" than "Best 11" is starting:

Pulisic - 9 - Weah

Then around 60 minutes, switch to:

Wright - 9 - Pulisic

I'm not even 100% sure Weah should still be the starter, but even this in reverse will be tough for opposition to handle.

As for RB, I'd lean going with Scally but think Weah, Reynolds, Lennon, or Yedlin all have been playing well enough to warrant serious looks. Hard to decide who, but that's where I'd go.

25. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks big time if Dest is out. But if that happens then I am moving Weah to RB for a number of reasons.

1. I do NOT want to take Adams out of the middle of the field. He's too valuable there.
    2. I don't want to go to COPA making a domino of moves. Want to keep guys playing where they are currently playing or at least played recently.
    3. Moving Weah back to RB opens up a spot up front to put two of Sarge, Wright, Pepi, or Balogun on the field together.

I much prefer Dest out there but there are some solid ways to handle this.

Bajoro and Marko72 repped this.