Best 11 Right Now

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LuckofLichaj, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That's my point. If he gets a move and if he plays well is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

There are at least 5/6 left backs ahead of him.

The next international break is in August/September. Not getting an England call up for those games
    As previously explained. Southgate likes players who have come through the youth team.

Chances are about 1 in a lot. Berhalter will have plenty of time to cap him.

The idea that Robinson is going to file a one time switch to be the fourth/fifth choice left back is idiotic. Especially as he keeps saying that he enjoys playing for the US

You all just seem to want to find excuses to bash Berhalter

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You mean Omar or Herc? Though Jesse's in trouble, you should have worried more I guess.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst case scenarios do occur on occasion. Not very often, though, for a reason: because, of all the possible outcomes, they are the worst conceivable outcomes (as implied by the phrase itself).

Also, I'm quite certain that not "everybody" told you that we must let Gonzalez "settle in". You're so stuck on this, and if I felt like reading through that thread again I bet I'd find one person who said that specifically.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    #4054 yurch10, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    I didn't mention berhalter.

(edit - guess i did, but certainly not bashing. crux is Robinson.)

5. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Jonathan

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CZM4 posted this in the YA Antonee Thread. At least offensively... he is by far the best in the ECL:

7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Dest is one of the best offensive RBs in the Eredivisie

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a thought in the YA Brooks thread after his disastrous red card in the Europa League game today that sent Wolfsburg home. JB seems to play solid for several games and just when you think he has it locked down he will have a terrible one. I watched all of his minutes this year and he played well for a significant stretch but struggled towards the end of the season. Typically, the idea is to pair JB with an extremely athletic CB so that he can cover Brooks when he fails to make tackles against speedy ball-handlers. Long has been that guy in the past but I am not sure he has the wheels to play it now after the injury. I would be interested to see what our team would look like with 3 young and athletic CBs and wingbacks:

CP -------------- CF* ------------- Morris
    Gio ----------- Adams --------- Weston
    Antonee ------------------------------ Dest
    -- Richards - Sands - Blackmon --

I know this is a really young lineup in the back and it isn't terribly tall... but if we go with guys that are young, athletic, mobile and have fairly good ball skills it would help us play out of the back and make it tougher to beat one-v-one. Perhaps this just has more to do with the type of CBs coming up through our youth teams. There are not a lot of giant guys like Brooks. Mark McKenzie is another example of a young US CB that could fit well into this system. I kind of like 3CBs when they can actually distribute the ball well and can dribble a bit.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4060 glutton4Bolts, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    yes... I am recommending a 5-3-3. Yikes. With the extra man there is no way we would miss out on the WC this time. Going to have to rethink.

MPNumber9, Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  11. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah let’s drop the Keeper! It’s gonna be the next big thing!

Bajoro repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I could see this mistake being made fun of for a while but whatever. Have your fun. Gives me a chance to research the types of formations possible with 3CBs.

Bajoro repped this.
  13. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol ya I’ll drop it. The MAIN reason I’m opposed to a 5 man back line is because none of our defenders (to the best of my knowledge) currently play in a 5 man back line system. You’re asking them to not just learn, but perfect the 5 man back line in NT camps. Not a good idea IMO.

I’m in the camp that thinks we should play our NT in formations that the players are used to playing with their clubs, not try to reinvent the wheel. Either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/11/22/analysis-three-at-the-back-formations/

3-5-2 or the lesser used 3-5-1-1. Interesting part about the defensive shape of a 3-5-2... it seems to play slightly ahead of the other two center backs which might be perfect for Sands.

The US is super weak at CF IMO... but I have a hard time thinking about offenses w/o a player that can be counted on for hold-up play. If CP plays one of the forward positions then the other forward would have to be able to hold up the ball. I guess Morris could hold up the ball.... but I might be in favor of putting him on the bench for substitution and putting in Sargent/Altidore. Looking at the 1st image I think I would go:

------------ Sargent/Altidore (9) ----------
    --------- Pulisic (10) --- Gio (11) ---------
    Antonee (3) ----------------------- Dest (2)
    ----------- Weston (8) - Adams (6) ------
    Richards (4) - Sands (5) - Blackmon (16)

15. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I still just don't get the 3 CBs idea, and your lineup proves the reason. Our CB group is probably the worst positional group in our pool (maybe LB/GK, but it's close), yet people want to play THREE of them. We have like one good one, and he's only good 75% of the time!

Not only are we talking about playing 3 CBs, but we're putting out best player over the last 18 months on the bench (Morris) to allow a poor CB to step in?

I prefer Sargent, a player doing pretty well at striker as a 20 year old in a top 3 league, but either him or Jozy are pretty good with their hold-up play.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I struggle with these kind of setups with our pool because:

• We're not deep or with a top player at striker, so having two is not a big positive for me
    • We're not deep at CB and most of our CBs don't play in a three back system at their club -- none of the above listed do though they are quick enough to do so
    • Wingbacks require an incredible amount out of the player. It's not enough to be offensive -- you are required to provide offensive width and defensive width and buildup all game. There's just an incredible amount of work and stress on that position. I don't love either of those guys as full wingbacks.
    • I think we're pretty deep at winger and will be pretty deep in much of the midfield and we're actually reducing the number of those players on the field for an extra CB.

Patrick167, glutton4Bolts and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  17. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really don't have difference-maker in goal these days so why not?

18. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not the first and as long as there is a USMNT N&A forum, you will not be the last.

Konut repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and yurch certainly raise valid reasons for why we may not want to go this direction. But I brought this idea up for one of the same reasons you guys said we shouldn't... more specifically, that we are weak at CB. The CBs in this system seem to be a bit different in that they can be filled with either athletic CBs or tweeners... In my case, Blackmon is not skilled enough on the ball to be a good right-back at the NT level. If he were tasked to run down balls over the top and asked to deliver thru balls to move forward then I think it maximizes his potential. Sands is a tweener CDM/CB and in this formation he can do a bit of both as he would play in the center. Heck... he does that now for NYCFC all the time. In the end I posit that we are weak at CB... but maybe that weakness is related to the formation we are playing. Richards is literally the only young US CB out there that I have any faith in to grow into an above average CB in a two-CB system. I may be grasping at straws... as a matter of fact... I am positive that I am. But staring down a USMNT with an up-and-down Brooks and ? has me worried.

gogorath repped this.
  20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The current top group of players has a natural fit for Dest on the field. Not as sure about Robinson unless a strong 2-way player is platooned in front of him. Robinson’s role with this group may be as an defense to offense change. Cannon is more than solid in both aspects of play and seems like a good fit too.

It’s a good problem to have.

I’m not as worried about these guys defending as I am worried about the guys in front of them creating and finishing chances.

21. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    We do have some capable young defensive midfielders that could help mitigate some of our weakness at the CB position. TA seems ideal both in skill and temperament to sit back and disorganize opposing attackers before they become a problem that our CBs need to deal with. Of course he needs stay healthy, but more importantly, actually has be played in that capacity for that to be effective.

22. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Just CM in general...pretty much one of the pool's biggest strengths now. I only caught a bit of the MLS tourney, but seems like various posters/twitter feeds have posited that the following are in some way ready for NT minutes (or close to it) - Sands, Aaronson, Williamson, Yeuill. Then still have Pomykal. In Europe we have Adams/McKennie/Holmes/Reyna/Morales.

I'm probably missing a few, but it's a pretty loaded positions. Sure, some are too old, too average, too young, but that's 10 guys who are at least on the periphery.

Remember this one for when Trapp/Bradley get called in again, or when Yeuill is inked in as a starter...

If we could get this type of depth in central defense, maybe the 3 CBs idea wouldn't be so crazy!

glutton4Bolts and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  23. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    It seems to me that CP has played better for Chelsea when he’s been partnered with a dangerous, overlapping LB. it allows CP to slide more central and the opponent’s RB has to make a choice of sliding in w/ CP or stay wide and not give up the wing to our LB.

NietzscheIsDead and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... CDM seems to be a position of strength for us and in this formation you can have two of them when you are defending... Adams and Wes. When attacking Adams could stay back and Weston could slide forward in a more box-to-box role. Also, with Sands having good CDM skills playing the center CB role I could even envision him interchanging with Adams if necessary to play out of the back. In the end, that is really what I am after here. What formation based on our set of players maximizes our potential to play out of the back w/o getting burned. Because JB is going to make them do it. In this formation you have two options up the middle filled w/ two of our most skilled players/passers/defenders and two wing-backs on the outside that can handle the ball well. Add in that fact that you would have 3 CBs w/ good ball skills and speed which creates all sorts of passing triangles to move the ball out of the danger area.

25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    We have the central midfield talent to be really aggressive in covering defensively for marauding wingers. Also, Berhalters system is intended to allow defenders to overload as well. We just need a center forward who can finish what Pulisic,Robinson, and Dest put in the box.