Besides Arsenal, What to do in London

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by arsenlmc58, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester
    South bank around Tower bridge / London bridge is an interesting place to wander around. Design Musuem, HMS Belfast, Borough High Street (great old coaching inns), Borough market, Southwark cathedral, Tate Modern - all in walking distance of each other. It just south of the City, historic centre of London. Lots of the streets have really old names, indicative of what used to go on there. If the tide is out you can get down to the river shore in places and go mudlarking (Thames equivalent of beach combing). I found an old clay pipe down there one time.

If you want to get out of London on day trips - Oxford, Cambridge and Bath are all historic cities. Bath has a lot of Roman stuff. If you like the sea, Brighton is interesting. Has the Pavilion (sort of royal folly), and The Lanes are good for junk/antiques.

All of these are within 1-2 hour train ride. Prices will vary but are usually cheaper if you book in advance and don't travel at rush hour.

2. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gettin piss drunk with Judy is always a blast as well!:D

3. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    But.............. that's south of the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :eek: :eek:

4. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester
    I know, hence I recommend this first

:D

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll vouch for Bath. I spent a couple days there two years ago and had a great time.

6. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    the might be the strip club that inspired the song "Lola". i know the club that did is in that area.

7. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
    I'll vouch for getting drunk.

8. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    shocker there.

good thing you weren't at the Globe on saturday. 2 goals from set pieces!

9. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
    At least neither was from Cygan. Double shots!

There are a couple bars/cafes in London with spectacular views. One at the top of the Tate Modern, overlooking the river and St. Paul's, the other at the top of Waterstone's book store on Piccadilly overlooking the city.

10. pebipo

pebipo New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    They already have a bomb: spurs!:D

11. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recommend the Spearmint Rhino. ;)

12. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    every 2nd friday of the month is best, when Foxxi is on hand..

...alledgedly:p

13. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong

I did the Musuem but not the Cutty Sark. The Museum had two highlights--the 'Longitude Clocks' which were built in the 1700s (read the book--amazing) and the model ship collection, which was kind of neat.

14. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Oh so many things to do...where to start.

1) London Eye. It's one of the few tourist attractions that attracts just as many locals as tourist, I think. You get a great view, but not for those afraid of heights.

Along with that, I'd recommend and evening walk on the Thames. Start at Big Ben, over to the Eye, down to the Diana Bridges at Charring Cross. You'll get a good view of St. Pauls.

2) Just past Harrods is a street called Beauchamp place (about two blocks away).This is a great little street of stores and restaurants for the locals in Knightsbridge. There is a great pizza place there (downstairs) called Ginos or Pizza Pomedero or something, and there is an excellent Lebanese place down the end of the street (eat at the bar, save a few bucks).

3) See a lower division game. I like QPR and attend matches at Loftus Road whenever I can, but you can also go to West Ham, Millwall, Leyton Orient, Brentford, Crystal Palace, etc. Kind of neat to get out to other places.

4) Get out of London. Every hour--express train to Cambridge from Platform 9 (not 3/4) at Kings Cross (goes past Highbury too). Take the Oxford Tube (bus) from Hyde Park to Oxford, also every hour, about an hour ride. Bath is nice too. If doing Bath, I'd recommend a rental car. Hit Bath and Stonehenge and Oxford all in one shebang.

5) Tube Museum, Imperial War, Maritime Museum--good guy museums. I also once went down to Portsmouth to see the HMS Victory, which was kind of neat.

6) Notting Hill, Camden, Grenwich markets. All kind of neat. If off to Grenwich and the Observatory, take a boat down the river. Kind of fun.

7) Hotels--LASTMINUTE.COM. They are contractually the lowest price for many major hotels, even lower than that which the hotel can offer. I was renting hotels as often as every three weeks awhile back and that was the place that always saved me money.

Related to this: tripadvisor.com. AWESOME reviews of hotels from real people, not corporate shill-type travel advisors.

15. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to Loftus Road a few years ago when Fulham were temporarily playing there and it was a great experience-I'm sure it's much of the same for a QPR game. I also went to the New Den for Millwall-Palace and it was another great experience. I made the mistake of taking the tube to the game though and you have to go through some shady neighboorhoods to get to the ground If you're going to Millwall take the train to the South Bermondsey station. Both amazing experiences.

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a good thread to move to the tickets and travel sub forum. Lots of good advice in here.

17. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    i never understood that until now :)

18. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've got a hotel review and some trip reports at tripadvisor, as well. Same name.

I enjoyed all the museums, Victoria and Albert in particular. Cabinet War Rooms is worth the price of admission (also has the Churchill Museum).

19. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  20. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Besides Arsenal, What to do in London?

Women :p

Thats a pretty obvious joke - i hope nobody mentioned it earlier in the thread.

21. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well then don't let Rick choose the spot, or you'll end up in a gay bar. :p Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

22. goonersf

goonersf New Member

Oct 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday, Feb. 6th, the night before the second leg of the Champions League at the Grove, The Rifles are playing at the Astoria.

They're a young, up and coming band, reminiscent of The Jam. I'm going and I heartily recommend them.

http://www.therifles.co.uk/

23. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Astoria is a great venue. Been there so many times when I was a teenager. It's a pretty simple venue but its one of the best one of its size. Not a huge fan of Brixton Academy.

24. goonersf

goonersf New Member

Oct 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just be informed The Rifles is sold out. Sorry for any confusion my post caused.

25. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    of course not :p .Seinfeld rules !!!