Besides Arsenal, What to do in London

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by arsenlmc58, Jan 16, 2006.

1. muhardom

muhardom New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    New York
    yeah that was awesome.
    As for night life I recommend Hoxton (I know, I know) Old Street on the Northern Line. Club 333 used to be good 4 yrs ago and depending on the night but if you get to Hoxton you'll find something good. Also Brick Lane is right there and the curry is amazing. Does anyone know the best on on Brick Lane? I'll be in London in two weeks and I do love a curry!

2. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    :D

Completed a pub crawl on that line once.

3. muhardom

muhardom New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    New York
    I just like going round and round oohh'ing and awe'ing. The best pound ninety you'll spend.

4. GJ40

GJ40 Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Apex
    No trip to London is complete without visiting a few great pubs:
    • Churchill Arms (Great Thai food in the back restaurant)
    • Blackfriar (Great atmosphere)
    • Gunners Pub (Enough said)
    There are a lot of pubs in London but they're not all the same!

I'd also try to catch a reserves match and leave time to stop at the Red Lion on the way from the tube to the ground.

Enjoy!

GJ40

5. muhardom

muhardom New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    New York
    Is the Churchill Downs in Holland Park. If so it is amazing Thai food.

6. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of pubs in London are part of a chain, so try to avoid those as the food is crap. Take some of these suggestions and stay away from large shinny pubs near touristy spots.

7. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Has anyone done the Maritime Museum or Cutty Sark in Greenwich? We drove through to the Charlton match and both looked like they could be pretty cool, but didn't have time to get to them.

Towers of London was cool as well as Westminster Abbey. Changing of the Guard at Buckingham is cool for about 30 minutes.

8. muhardom

muhardom New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    New York
    Also if you're in Chinatown there's a place called Lee Ho Fook on the corner of the short end of the T (inside the gates) it has amazing Duck and rice. My dad's been going there for 23 years and it's the first place I go when I get to London.
    Address: 15-16 Gerrard Street, LONDON, W1V 7LA
    website that has it listed: http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/info_restaurant_3392.html
    google maps it and it's on the east side of the small street (dean st.) coming up from gerrard st. right on the corner of dansey place and dean st.
    it's soo good!

9. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    we ain't gettin' no duck and rice when we get there Dom :mad: ;)

10. muhardom

muhardom New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    New York
    well you'll just have to go hungry then!!
    it's amazing.

alright alright Mickey D's it is then!

11. art'n'sue

art'n'sue BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 2005
    Drink Beer..............

Oh and see the Tower of London, drink beer, Imperial War Museum and Cabinent War rooms, drink beer, British Museum (the 5000 year old dried up mummy is what I felt like several mornings after drinking), Drink beer, St Paul's Cathedral (actually I think climbing to the top of St Pauls for the view is better than the London eye 'cause there is no glass for pics, and it gives you a good workout), drink beer, Covent garden, drink beer, eat Indian food, drink wine?, ride the city tour double decker and jump off at your favorite pub and drink beer, eat Fish'n'chips, and maybe even a Spotted Dick (my Wife had to try on of those), try to see a play/musical, try to see a concert at the Royal Albert Hall, take a day trip out to Stonehenge.
    Oh yeah and Drink beer....

12. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes. The Maritime Museum was quite good. And it's also right in front of the Greenwich Royal Observatory, so you can take them in at the same time. The Greenwich Meridian runs right across the Observatory grounds, and they have a line marking it, so you can jump back and forth between the eastern and western hemispheres if you wish!

I did the climb up St. Paul's Cathedral and it was well worth the climb for those who like to do such things.

Also, I recall when I've been visiting that St Martin's-in-the-Fields church on Trafalgar Square had some nice free concerts available.

13. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    It's not on Brick Lane but if you want what is, IMO, the best curry in London then you have to go to Chutney Mary's - it's not cheap but the food will blow you away....

http://www.chutneymary.com/

In general for ideas on this thread I'd recommend a trip to Oxford if you want to get out of London for the day. Transport links are excellent and it's a beautiful and compact city to visit if you want to bask in "olde worlde" nostalgia

14. Montreux

Montreux New Member

May 26, 2003
    RI
    I think he means he's gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein, if I understand him correctly.

15. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Plus you might see a werewolf there.

16. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a real place? All these years, had no idea.

I learned something. It is a good day.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Harlequins are in Divison one, and the Heineken Cup group stages end next week. No London club will make it.

London Welsh is the best rugby club in London to actually watch a game at, since you can stand almost on the pitch and the hwyl is better. No Jeremies in their Land Rovers and prawn sandwich types. ;)

And fuhgeddabutit with Six Nations tickets - England, Wales, and Ireland are totally sold out at this point and Scotland's nae worth botherin' at this stage.

18. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    My forthcoming UK trip in March is as follows: Saturday and Sunday, my GF and I arrive and do the standard touristy stuff (I'll be following her lead since she used to live there in her college days). Monday, we're catching an early train to Cardiff and seeing the Castle. Tuesday, we're catching an early train to Tenby and seeing the city walls and the ruins there. Wednesday, we're going to Torquay and staying with some of her family until Friday, when we're pulling a rush job to see her grandmother in Somerset, see Stonehenge, and make it to London. Saturday, 1 April, my GF goes shopping all day, and I'm seeing Arsenal v Villa. :D Sunday, we go home.

19. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i am so taking a picture of that.

I've been to London twice, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do this time. I've done most of the big touristy things. might do the imperial war museum again. Haven't been to St Paul's yet, so I think a trip to that is in order.

20. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Pop across to white hart lane and plant a bomb ?

Just an idea you understand, I'm not actually suggesting you do it... ;)

21. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    The best fun any tourist can get in London can be found in Oxford Street. Starting from Tottenham Court Road station walk towards Oxford Circus at a steady pace. Every 20 yards come to an abrupt stop so that all of the silly English people (going about their normal busy lives) walk into the back of you. To get the full enjoyment it's important that you don't apologise.

You should spice it up by inventing different reasons to stop. Looking into one of the shop windows or pointing at an imaginary point of interest in the distance are great japes. When you get really confident stop an oncoming local to ask directions to "lye cester square" or something similar. Remember to ask in a very, very loud voice as the locals won't understand you otherwise.

When you have mastered these tricks go for the ultimate - a converstion with a limey. Always call Britain "this little old country"! Try to find a Scot and call him English. A customary reference to "warm beer" and use of the word "quaint" always goes down well!

;)

22. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did that! It was a blast!:D

23. Irelandboy

Irelandboy New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    North
    Do any Gunner locals know what Parkside Hotel is like in relation to Finsbury Station and Highbury? It's on the Seven Sisters Road. I've booked into it.

24. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I stayed there when I was in London a few weeks ago.

It's not the greatest place in the world, but is in a good location for Arsenal fans.
    You are smack dab in the middle of the Finsbury Park and Manor House stations (each is about a 5 minute walk - you're better off just going to Finsbury Park because it has more transfer points).
    Also, you can walk to Highbury from there - it's only 15 to 20 minutes away. It also puts you very close to a lot of pubs, including the T-Bird, The @ Club, and the Twelve Pins.

25. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Plus the Hare Krishna's may ask you to dance.

On another interesting note, around the corner is a stirip club or something b/c a scantily clad lady sits in the doorway. At least a bit of a free show.