News: Bernardo Silva: Ten Levels of Reincarnation

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by JoseEmidio, Apr 19, 2015.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He's the player of the tournament hands down. William is the only other contender.

2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nearly everyone did, a class team performance :D

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes 2 MOTM each, Bernardo got the first two games and William the next two. If they both play like today we nearly half way there. Though Sá and Oliveira (CB) have been huge to0.

4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Huge Benfica overtones but still (if your not a Benfica fan) a nice 30 min interview/special (in Portuguese) on Bernardo at the end of the season before the Euro U21. Seems like a really nice guy.

5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2A08FAB600000578-0-image-a-16_1435426640825.jpg

First goal against Germany (video to come later).

6. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He style of play, with the ball glued at his feet reminds me more of a young Platini than Messi or Rui Costa.
    The guy is one of the best youngsters i've seen, i dare to say that he is better than Ronaldo at this age.
    You can call me an herege, but if you remender correctly, Ronaldo at his 20's were more focused in incessant dribbling past every oponent, sometimes causing troubled counter attacks. He become this score machine when he was 24-25 years.

Bernardo is more vertical. More focused in the game, than show his skill.

No, i dont think he will reach Ronaldo level (for me the best player ever for Portugal), neither Eusébio level, or that even matter Coluna level (which i think was better than Figo). But he can reach both Figo and Rui Costa level without any doubt.

---Z--- repped this.
  7. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    You're getting ahead of yourself. Ronaldo was starting, at 19, for a Portugal team that that had the best wingers in the world. He started ahead of Simao. At 19. Youngest player to ever play in a Euro final.

But none of this devalues Bernardo, because his trajectory is matching that of Figo's, and we know how he turned out. Best player in the world. It just so happens that Ronaldo is an arguable Top 10 player of all time.

8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Statements after that 5-0 game in which Bernardo said this is something you tell your children and grandchildren about.

"Estamos muito contentes, porque a seleção não estava na final há muitos anos. Esperamos poder fazer ainda mais história na final. É daquelas coisas que se contam aos filhos e aos netos. É um orgulho fazer parte desta equipa", afirmou Bernardo, bastante aplaudido quando foi substituído.

"É fantástico para mim ouvir os aplausos do público. O mister Rui jorge tem as suas opções, não sei se o fez a pensar na final. Importante é que ganhámos 5-0. Jogamos todos os jogos para ganhar, independentemente do nosso adversário. Somos uma equipa muito humilde e ao mesmo tempo muito otimista", sublinhou.

9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo might have been in the A team earlier but Bernardo is more mature than Ronaldo at 20. Frankly I think he is more mature (overall) than Ronaldo right now. Wether or not he gets to Ronaldo level which is probably top 5 ever is another discussion. I agree with Bengoechea that he could reach above Figo and Costa and he is a player that would fit perfectly in that side (comparisons with Eusebio and Coluna are more difficult being around 50 years ago). I hope that he can somehow become better than Ronaldo as I vastly prefer Bernardo but he has a very long way to climb for that to happen. Even if he 'only' gets to below Costa's level he will still be one of my favourites.

10. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I don't dispute that Bernardo has more wisdom than Ronaldo had at the same age, or even right now. He's intelligent on and off the field. But in this sport, talent is still the most important factor and the fact is that nobody, outside of Eusebio, had comparable talent at the age of 19 that Ronaldo had. At 19 he started for Manchester United in an FA Cup Final, a game where he was Man of the Match.

Could Bernardo surpass Figo/Rui Costa? Certainly. I don't see him touching CR7 level. But I have no problem with being proved wrong.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  11. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo was fantastic at 19, dont get me wrong, and technically better than Bernardo.
    What i mean was about the mature, Ronaldo at 19 was focused on dribble and pass on every defender, when at sometimes it was useless.

For example, he would be in the team of the tournament (2006) and better youth player (whom he was, that Podolski shit was a farce) if he hasnt did that stuff with Rooney, who would be expelled anyway.

12. GuitarraAlma

GuitarraAlma New Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Club:
    OS Belenenses Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bernardo as a CAM and with players like Rafa Silva and Pizzi and Moutinho can now play as a CM which is his best position that is serious depth at just CAM position

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree B.Silva can be a Figo/Costa level maybe win a ballon dor one day especially since Messi/Cr7 era will get old and taper off. he's the type of #10 / forward magic player who tends to get the limelight.

I also thought he reminded me a bit of Platini (well I only watched videos).. but Platini was also a free kick master

neither figo or rui costa were very prolific scorers, I think Bernardo may have potential to have more of an eye for goal. didn't he already score like 10 goals for monaco this season?

14. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You are all forgetting how good Ronaldo was at 18/19/20, starting for Portugal and Manchester United

Here you go:

Imho Ronaldo was more impressive, and definitely made more of an impact at a higher level at the same age

Just let Bernardo Silva mature and grow as a player naturally, its unfair to compare him to other all time greats right now.

Hopefully in time he grows into his own player and create his own niche.

joaommx and ---Z--- repped this.
  15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There will never be another Ronaldo lets face it

too bad he was sandwiched between two strong generations.

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How dare you bring Ronaldo clips into this thread :ninja: (I will have a look) :laugh:

17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    brunovarela.jpg

Bruno Varela and José Sá having some fun at the expense of Bernardo 'A caminho de Praga. Com o nosso prodígio no seu merecido descanso'.

18. GuitarraAlma

GuitarraAlma New Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Club:
    OS Belenenses Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anyone remember Dani Da Cruz? Bernardo reminds me of him

19. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No. Will look him up.

20. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  21. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh that Dani. The one that is almost a by name for what could of been.

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Made a name for himself in Holland.

In the nightclubs, that is.

lol, I love how the commentator says after Horta's goal "Porto are cruising to the final"

23. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Noticed the Porto bit too.

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I hope Bernardo does better in his career than Dani. You have to wonder what his agent was thinking when he was transferred to Ajax LOL. Did they think that would help him stop banging broads?

25. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal