Bernardo and Garcia??

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dignan, Feb 8, 2009.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I went to a heavily hispanic high school in Metro Atlanta(not exactly the barrio), and I knew loads of kids who were better spanish speakers than english speakers, and quite a few who could hardly speak (good) english.

I can imagine in Laredo (or even Dalton, Georgia) that there are some kids graduating who can't read a book in English or speak english very well. When all you speak at home is spanish, and all you speak with your friends is spanish, and all you speak at work is spanish, it can become very easy to not become a good english speaker.

2. 32panels

32panels New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    New York
    Naranja, I'm sure you know a lot more about what goes on in Houston than I do, but I want to understand the logic of not taking Garcia. As you know, this is a very talented youngster who came recommended but has a significant personal situation for a teenager, on top of which MLS is willing to pay his salary. Why wouldn't Dom take this kid? How would Houston be better served taking a $13k developmental player instead of taking a $70k developmental player, in both cases the salary being paid by the league?

I would think the Dynamo have to be extra supportive in this case. First let him finish high school (like Jozy was allowed to finish high school when taken by NY). Then look to relocate both him and the girl, with baby, to Houston, if possible. I don't think it would be emotionally stable for him to be separated from his child and the child's mother. If she's younger and needs more time to finish high school, set her up in a good Houston area high school where she can also get her diploma. Obviously set them up with an apartment -- I would think $70k/year is enough to afford a nice apartment in Houston with a decent car. Now I don't know if these steps are possible in this case, but if Houston wants to set him up for long-term success, these are the things that I would do.

I don't see what Dom will gain by taking the tough approach and viewing Garcia as in the doghouse. Not in this case. In this case, I think it would be much more productive to support Garcia and work with him, treating Garcia with kid gloves until Felix can fully get his mind and his hands around the changes that have occurred in his life. Putting a player in the doghouse works for more mature professionals, it's liable to just overwhelm this kid.

In the meantime, I would think that someone from the coaching staff as well as from the front office should keep in frequent contact with Garcia, to make him feel that the Dynamo are not just a job but a family that's going to support him and his development.

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $70K is plenty to get a very nice apartment and car, with plenty left over in Houston.

For the comments about Dom's Doghouse...the team has said they will be very patient with Garcia, probably due to his GA status, and potential.

That said, Dom may rather have his $13K development player who tries real hard and who works overtime to break into the squad than 10 GA players who don't do either.

Really, it's up to Felix. If he wants to be on this squad, Dom will give him the chance to prove himself, even if it means no playing time in 09 (at least not in official matches).

Here's hoping good health for Garcia and family, and even better grades for a highschool diploma in May and the return of Garcia.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Since Bernardo is in this title to you can go to YA and look at his thread there.

Let's just say that Bernardo's agen...I mean writer friend...is up to his usual bullshit.

Seems that instead of just me busting his questionable altruism over the last 18 mths or so the ship is gaining steam. If you have looked at this, and read with a calm eye it has been pretty easy to spot for a while now.

At least I remember that Peter P's brother/agent was unabashed. This guy.
    Eh.

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have no doubt that Bernando is rated by Napoli... their have been articles written about him...

but him playing in this tournament is very weird...

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernardo left the game today in the 35th minute in the NY Stars 5-0 loss to Fiorentina. No idea if he is injured. But they were down 4-0 at the time.

What a waste of time for a alleged "serious" prospect to play for such a joke of a team. If he is injured in this farce, it's almost unforgiveable as the U20's look to start qualifying soon.

Fiorentina - New York 5 - 0

FIORENTINA: Seculin, Aya, Baccolo, Diakhate (21'st Taddei), Fedi, Khouma, Lepri (31'st Calamai), Maritato (24'st Chinellato), Masi, Mazuch, Tagliani. All. Bollini.

NEW YORK: Glackin, Blasetti, C. Posillico, Henao, Sorbara, McGarry, Zanniello, Alesci, Corrado, Hernandez, Bernando (35' N. Posillico). All: Legovich.

ARBITRO: Gavillucci di Latina

RETI: 10' e 40'st rig. Khouma, 8'st Maritato, 18'st Lepri rig., 30'st Chinellato rig.

NOTE: ammonito Mazuch.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

If he was in TR's plans anyway.

I wonder if Italian youth coaches were there to check him out.

They did just ask for his info you know.;)

Very little makes sense here. Of course we had a ton of BS posters penciling him in as a starter at the U20's and an eventual Nat already without seeing him or really knowing anything about him.

Mr. Rosa where are you?

Note - I really hope he isn't hurt. Always a shame.

8. flyingfrog

flyingfrog Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Garcia was born in the us, right?

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    With all due respect, when I worked in Europe and followed teams fairly closely, there were always a lot of young players rated well each year....and the media writes wrticles on all of them. Few pan out.

He got a pro contract which is of course excellent, but there is so much here that is, well, curious.

He trains with the first team because the Primevera coach doesn't like him? Not one Prima minute.
    No loans, no U20's camp, but he plays in that tourney for the NY stars?

I have no doubt Napoli sees soemthing, but I guarantee they see something in quite a few of their prospects.

I have an incredibly hard time believing a highly prized prospect would be going through this right now.

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Is there such a thing as a Soccer Twilight Zone? Between Garcia's strange departure from Houston and now this with Bernardo I can't recall two such bizarre scenarios happening almost together. There were other Euro-based players called into camp. After all, this camp is the lead-in to the WCQ tourney in T&T. So why wasn't Bernardo there? Beats the ____ out of me.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Which is why I am so much more cautious about the state of this team.

To much projection in other threads and to little fact/verification/substance when it comes to impact players.

There is talent here, but I said this before these two situations happened...

...the group feels very raw and immature at this point.

We are gonna see shortly however.

Oh where Oh where has Mr. R gone?
    Oh where Oh where can he be?

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, going through as many players as Rongen goes through really does have its downside. When you go through over 100 teenage players, you never really get to polish the team. Some teams don't need polishing because you get a sometimes they are naturally mature. But sometimes you have a pool of kids that needs more time.

Now, I am infavor of casting a huge net because the US is a huge country and you want to bypass as few kids as possible. But that doesn't mean there isn't a downside. I think we are seeing that side here. I am not really sure what the solution is either.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Natural born Texan

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I'll take casting a bigger net anyday considering our practices of the past.

All you really need is a couple of glue/star/esetablished players to build around. That's what this squad doesn't seem to have.

In qualies 4 years ago everyone had Gaven as that player in qualies, and he delivered, but a pretty unknowm Benny F stepped up out of nowhere during qualies and cup. Let's see who does that here...if we qualify.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    actually, i have seen very few people hyping this u20 team. rongen himself seems to have his reservations - as would anyone who is paying attention. especially when you compare this team to the last u20 team which was strong in each area of the field except defense.

look at the gk's, defenders, midfielders, and forwards. these players are good, but nothing special. i don't have any great expectations for them. i'm actually hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree- the expectations for this team are lower than for either of the previous two U20 teams. However, looking ahead, I would guess that the 2011 U20 team may be stronger. We shall see...

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I am actually surprised at how little this team is being hyped. Our defense is going to be stronger than last time. Our side is almost all pro players.

And considering the best 2 players of this cycle are not even going to play with this team, I think we're shaping up pretty well.

Of course, we will see how good this team is (so far) in Qualifying, but a lot can change between now and the tourney.

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i know it's blasphemy, but i wouldn't even assume qualifying.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You are right.

Mexico messed up in 2005.

We need to be careful.

20. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should call Freddy in for it. I'd just like to see Monaco try and turn it down.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    You are just being practical. Can't expect to much of that here I guess.

It's gonna happen sooner or later. Law of averages.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the two time defending champions of the tournament did not qualify... so nothing should be assumed...

23. flyingfrog

flyingfrog Member

Dec 22, 2006
    i find the lack of hype refreshing, lets see if this group can pull it together and play as a team. sometimes overhyping an individual player or players takes away from the team play. Perhaps TR should have held 2 super camps w/48 players each so he could say he covered his bases, then worked more with his core. I dont know a lot about the players, are there any 'finds' or surprises on the roster? Or is this pretty much the same group prognosticators picked months ago?

24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I agree with you voros. He's not even making the bench. What's the point?

They should call him in right now.

Gotta be better than bloggin for Monaco.

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Enough of us on this board are willing to take on the little ones who try.:D

Unlike YA (insufferable) or US Mens.

Do your part when you see it and we can keep it that way. Doesn't happen by accident.;)