Berhalter's Positives

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by adam tash, Oct 16, 2023.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If we make it to the Copa championship match and look good doing it, what % of anti-GB people will be spinning anti-Gregg reasons for that?

If we don’t make it out of the group and look bad doing it, what % of pro-GB people will be making GB exculpatory excuses for that?

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usmnt is pot 1

top 4 is meh

3. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we could hire Terzic. We may not win, but it'll be great for our players' long-term transfer values!

RossD and superdave repped this.
  4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There is no "pro-GB". It's just that the rest of us don't parrot around 24/7 that the coach is to blame for everything. Not going on a tirade is apparently being "pro-GB". But if Berhalter fails in Copa America then he should go. Would he be let go? That is the real question! If he isn't let go after he failed some of us would just accept that there are things that are out of our control. Sure, we will complain every now and then but won't go on a mission and accusing others that don't join our mission as being "pro-GB".

5. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    So just to clarify: you started a thread to discuss berhalter’s positives, then pivoted to accusing anyone who mentions a positive of not wanting to see the US succeed?

tomásbernal, RossD, ebbro and 4 others repped this.
  6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Um, wrong. But if it helps, for "pro-GB" substitute "people who dispute all or most substantive criticisms of GB, and ascribe to themselves greater knowledge of (or "realism" about) the game in the process."

7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m pro Berhalter in that I don’t want to see him fired right this moment. The Copa America will be the test to see if a change is needed before the World Cup.

PJ234 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Its not being pro-Berhalter.

One can have two opinions at the same time.

1) Berhalter met expectations last cycle by righting the ship, winning the Gold cup, winning the Nations League, Qualifying for the World Cup, advancing to the round of 16 at the World Cup, etc.

2) Berhalter shouldn't have been re-hired as USMNT coach. While there were monetary reasons we perhaps couldn't hire the top-of-the-line coaches, plenty of good coaches should have been available at the price point. Its inexplicable that Crocker says they conducted an extensive search, and Berhalter remained the leading candidate. Inexplicable.

It really is possible for a rational individual to hold both opinions at the same time. Berhalter was re-hired. I want the USMNT to win. That means I must root for Berhalter to succeed. I want him to win Copa America!! I don't root for the USMNT to fail at the Copa America so Berhalter will be fired. That's stupid.

tomásbernal, adam tash, ebbro and 2 others repped this.
  9. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    Unfortunately that's how soccer nowadays is. You see all these fan accounts on YouTube for certain clubs. They just want to get some clout.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that surprises you given his record?

tomásbernal repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Positive-
    He is one of the few managers in the Copa who has a real understanding of his players and their roles going into the tournament having already manged us in many Cups.

How much that actually is an advantage remains to be seen but I think it is a positive.
    As they say in College football sometimes it is about the Jimmiess and Joes and not about the X's and O's so we may still have some rough times of course.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Kinda depends on the draw.

You look at the pots for this upcoming 2024 event. You can make good draws and bad draws from it.

I've seen people online, and high profile former USMNTers, suggest that Berhalter could be fired with a poor performance at the Copa America. I really doubt it. It would have to be really poor.

I mean, the draw could be something like USMNT, Peru, Paraguay, Bolivia.

Events like this can be whacky. We can advance from that group and for some reason have to face Argentina in the quarterfinal. The #1 team in the world. Is that grounds for dismissal? No.

The last time the Copa was held in the US we got a pretty good draw, and made the semi.

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get it. thats a good explanation.

its just a weird place to be in as a fan, no?

like you know deep down that your manager isnt good enough.....but youre going to root for success, anyway.....its just shtty

i mean i dont really root against the usmnt, but I also know that the only way they will reall have a chance of a good 2026 WC is with a different leader.

and I disagree 100% about this whole price point thing......everything us soccer does it to make profits....they have a ton of money ...and theyve even said they had the money to hire anyone. whatever reasons they had to rehire gregggplant, money wasnt it.

ive thought about it...like what if gggg takes the team far in Copa.....what if they win the tourney? it is possible.....idk.....I know a lot of people would think its hypocritical but Im just done with the guy period. these 5 years of him have been brutal. hes already done enough damage. might sound weird but I dont care what future results he gets from here, I dont want him as the coach. hes just weird and cringey and has already shown that the team wins despite him not bc of him. whatever heights he reaches, another coach couldve gone higher. im 100% convinced of that.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The point is to be holding trophies.

If Berhalter wins Copa America, it would be the biggest trophy won in the history of the USMNT. So why would we be talking about any "damage" he's going. What damage? We'd be holding the trophy. We'd be trying to decide when and where a parade should be, and not worrying about "damage."

Argentines famously bitched about Scaloni. Maradona had some horribly harsh things to say about him. Wouldn't trust him to drive the bus. Then he friggin' won the World Cup and all those people had to do some soul searching and eat crow.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #240 HomietheClown, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    I personally do not think there's any realistic manager who could come in and be a better fit.
    But as I have said many , many times I take into account factors that others do not seem to care about. Like having experience in the realm of National Team leadership rather than clubs which is almost like managing a totally different sport. With restricted time and minimal important matches between now and 2026 Berhalter is basically the best we can do. Or at least I cannot see any realistic alternative who knows our player pool and the way US soccer works who can come in and do better.

jaykoz3 and PJ234 repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The delusion is strong with this one.

17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At Copa 100 in 2016 we were ranked #31. We were in a group with 2 teams ranked above us. During the tournament we played the #3 team twice and the #1 team.

#3 Colombia L0-2
    #23 Costa Rica W4-0
    #43 Paraguay W1-0. (Yedlin double YC at '48)
    #13 Ecuador W1-0. (Jones bogus RC '52)
    #1 Argentina L0-4. (minus Jones, Bedoya (led us in tackles at Copa), Wood)
    #3 Colombia L0-1 (3rd place match)

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much experience in NT leadership did Berhalter have when we hired him?

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His zero experience was a harbinger of the zero gain we have made under him.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #245 HomietheClown, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Different context.

When he was hired he had many matches and free rein to mold the team into what he wanted to see. Learning much about his team in many tournaments and hard fought battles in Qualifying.

We do not have that luxury right now. It is too late to change things up with a new Manager.

RossD repped this.
  21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising, that has been your mantra from day 1 of Berhalters tenure, See the coaching thread...

Give him time; too early to evaluate, too early to evaluate, too early to evaluate, .... then before last WC; too late to make any change in the roster, tooo late to make any change.

Now 3 years before the next WC; too late to change things up. Manager for life then?

Excellency repped this.
  22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I will be satisfied (and encouraged, compared to how I feel now) if we play well on both sides of the ball and beat who we are supposed to beat. That means we should win our group. Factoring in home field advantages, that sort of performance means we should advance to the semis unless we draw Argentina or Brazil before then.

If we continue to play at a level that is less than the sum of our parts offensively (as we have during most of Gregg's tenure), and lose to teams we should beat, I will continue to think we are wasting an opportunity with this generation. I don't buy the idea that GB is the best manager we could land for this WC. That seems plainly implausible given the talent and youth of the team, and the fact that we are playing at home.

23. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If you fire a coach you better have an idea of who you're going to replace him with. Unless the team completely bombs out of the Copa it would be idiotic to fire the coach. You'd create chaos in the team and who the hell would want to take that on 3 years before the WC? The saying "We'd find someone." or "Anyone else would be better." are only sayings, not a plan. No reputable coach would take on the team (and leave their current job) if the previous coach is fired for some ridiculous reason.
    And I'm not pro-Greg. It would be idiotic no matter who the coach is.

I think they did do a thorough search and Crocker was shocked that no one he thought would be interested in the job were interested. We keep thinking this is a "prestigious" job in the world of soccer and it just isn't. And there's zero reason for USSF to say who they reached out to and who shot us down. Do you really want to know who the foreign coachers were who weren't interested? I don't.

sandcastle repped this.
  24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that something Crocker said, suggested, hinted at, ...?

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I was looking through an old Athletic article and saw these. But I think people will be interested -- they were the priorities and skillsets for the USMNT hire.

https://imgur.com/a/pnk97Mc