News: Berhalter releases statement

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by soonertony, Jan 3, 2023.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so when did Berhalter "demand public apologies"?

2. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When in the last six weeks has Gio seemed as though he was humiliated?

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    At the team meeting with stupid voting which by design wasn't ju'st semiprivate but was made fully public.
    Or you believe that his bullshit "Oh, I didn't expect it to be leaked? The point of choosing that anecdote was it to be leaked to hummiliate Gio. What he didn't expect is Danielle's response, which was great and I applaud her for that.

4. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    That’s what makes his celebration so cool. All the sanctimonious key board jockeys obviously bothered him…and he decided to tell them to F-off rather than giving them the power.

Three and Three and xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're mixing and matching facts, debunked "facts" and timelines, and then adding absurdity on top. There's at least one tv news channel that would value your creativity.

Elninho and asoc repped this.
  6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You shouldn't be that envious, just learn to read and may be someone will hire you eventually too.

7. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Wasn't any voting done. It's been established in this thread over and over. Stop with the false outrage over something that did not happen.

And it takes a special kind of lack of compassion, faulty moral compass to endorse what Danielle Reyna did. But that appears to be par for the course.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I believe to our MNT G.Berhalter who told about voting at the leadership conference. It's absolutely unethical for you to say that the highly respected leader was lying. I have plenty of compassion for that person, I see how much he is suffering, and believe that kicking his ass out of the team will bring him needed relieve.

Three and Three repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean, like...you could talk about what goes on there at a leadership conference?

TheHoustonHoyaFan and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Here are the comments, posted again from the leadership conference. There is not a single mention of voting regarding the Gio situation. Stop making shit up.

https://www.charterworks.com/leadership-tips-from-the-us-mens-soccer-head-coach/

Berhalter should be gone for soccer reasons. I agree 100% with that. I think Berhalter was an idiot for using the Gio example too.

But stop using the manufactured outrage, and gleeful support for DR's nalpalming of someone's character for an event you described earlier as something you think should be fairly irrelevant after 30 years, just because it will get the coach out. Since you can't remember things, like the fact there was no vote - Here are your posts from January 3:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/berhalter-releases-statement.2124149/page-4#post-41094925

and here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/berhalter-releases-statement.2124149/page-4#post-41095004

So again - stop the faux outrage, admit that you are happy for someone's character to be trashed and future livelihood to be jeopardized, just so that person is not the coach of a soccer team you support.

Reccossu, tomásbernal and Marko72 repped this.
  11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm asking Team How Dare He if they think the locker room is private or not. Because a few posters are saying that Berhalter "demanded a public apology", which he didn't....unless you think the locker room is a public arena.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In now way did he "demand a public apology" which is precisely why Gio was upset later on.
    It's not a big deal and you could just correct yourself but you insist in defending this.

13. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Yup. Up until December 11th he did the exact opposite of putting Gio in the public eye for behavior detrimental to the team. Then for unknown reasons he pooched the pup and Gio’s mom pooched another pup.

With a modicum of judgement on the part of Gregg, Danielle or Earnie, the entire story could have been that Claudio is a weasel.

WrmBrnr and deejay repped this.
  14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, the mistake from Berhalter was that he spoke about it at the conference. And Gio was upset because the team very much had a culture of handling this within the locker room and keeping it to that. And that's why the story is damaging to his ability to come back. As one of his strengths over his tenure was how well he handled the locker room and team chemistry/culture issues.

The most egregious conduct in this case however, is very clearly from Claudio and Danielle Reyna.

russ, Marko72 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At his public speaking engagement with the leadership conference group?

16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you cite the part of that speech where he demanded Gio Reyna make any public apologies? You can just accept that you're wrong on this, and stop repeating that Berhalter "demanded public apologies from Reyna".

Roger Allaway, Mike03 and WrmBrnr repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is this pubic enough or are the following secret socieites?

Berhalter: USMNT nearly sent player home from World Cup (usatoday.com)
    ” Berhalter said in excerpted quotes published by the Charterworks newsletter.
    Look who stopped by our #HOWsummit! Gregg Berhalter is joining us today straight off the World Cup #moralleadership pic.twitter.com/YrpsNzObPa

— The HOW Institute for Society (@TheHOWInstitute) December 6, 2022

Berhalter said that the coaching staff decided to have one more chat with the player to demand no further “infractions,” and to require an apology to the rest of the team as a condition for the player to remain in the squad.

According to Berhalter, he prepared the USMNT’s internal leaders for the apology, and credited those players for “taking ownership of that process.”

“I said, ‘Okay, this guy’s going to apologize to you as a group, to the whole team.’ And what was fantastic in this whole thing is that after he apologized, [team leaders] stood up one by one and said, ‘Listen, it hasn’t been good enough, You haven’t been meeting our expectations of a teammate and we want to see change’.

Deep Wilcox and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Berhalter releasing these statements shows a lack of leadership, and confirms to me that he is not the right man for the job. However, I was already convinced of that before.

Three and Three repped this.
  19. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    These statements getting out was egregious but the approach itself was admirable. Gio could have said no thanks and gone the way of Ben White.

This part seems problematic even if it didn’t get out though.

“As a coach, the way you can deal with things most appropriately is going back to your values. Because it's difficult to send a player home. It was going to be a massive controversy. You would have been reading about it for five days straight. But we were prepared to do it, because he wasn't meeting the standards of the group, and the group was prepared to do it as well.

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just circular at this point. I asked you on the last page if demanding Gio make an apology to his teammates in the locker room counts as "public", but you didn't answer. Well, you did, but this was it:

So is the locker room a public or private space? Can't have it both ways.

Mike03 repped this.
  21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wonder if it is it something like this?

Locker room >> public
    Leadership conference >> public-er
    The Athletic article >> public-est

MayaDempsey repped this.
  22. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “I said, ‘Okay, this guy’s going to apologize to you as a group, to the whole team.’ And what was fantastic in this whole thing is that after he apologized, [team leaders] stood up one by one and said, ‘Listen, it hasn’t been good enough, You haven’t been meeting our expectations of a teammate and we want to see change’.

I don't respect this kind of "group shame" thing. I just don't understand why the manager deosn't pull the kid aside and say "Hey, either start working or we are shipping you home." Gio wasn't playing anyway, so sending him home isn't going to impact much.
    I will never understand the idea that the other players should be involved. Do your job and manage the team.

comoesa, Excellency, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  23. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I’m guessing that ceding too much influence to the “leadership council” is what created the environment where Gregg is basically brokering a deal between them and Gio.

Terrible idea to have teammates making these types of decisions on each other. The coach makes the big money for bearing the burden of leadership.

comoesa, rgli13 and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  24. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    When you get your dream job you have to be ready to take the blame as well as the credit for the big choices that come with it. He never seemed quite willing to do that. His decisions and public statements seemed to be about hedging and framing in ways that left him outs. He wanted his ideas to be vindicated, but wasn't comfortable with the possibility that they might not be.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think it is a weird assumption that no one said anything to Gio before this, either from coaches or players. I've seen it a lot and it really doesn't make any sense.

It obviously reached a point where they considered sending him home because he wasn't responding. At that point, an apology to the teammates you've let down makes sense to me.

Without the sulking, he would have likely gotten decent sub minutes where we needed offense. Maybe he should have been sent home, but that comes with all kinds of negative as well.

It seems to me that aside from his parents going whacko, and aside from Berhalter talking at a leadership conference ... this was handled well inside the team in Qatar. No public distraction. Apology and behavior changed.

So what's the issue with how it was handled? All the errors seem to be either after -- or by people who shouldn't be involved at all?

The players appreciate being involved in decisions. They appreciate the ability to have feedback. I don't know how old you are, but the paternalistic, dictatorial coach is slowly disappearing.

tomásbernal and Bite o' the Cherry repped this.