Berhalter Interview With WaPo

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, May 29, 2024.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Olympics is NOT a U23 tournament. It is a bastard of a soccer that FIFA and various federations and the Olympic committee itself made to allow soccer into the Olympics. They allow overage players, making it not U23 and they do not allow full squads making it not a tournament of any age group.

Having said that the matches can be, and often are, fun to watch and are better than no soccer.

It is clear that even the USA does not take the Olympics seriously or they would use the over age positions to put our best three on the team and take the best of the U23s we have. But we have a number of our best U23s playing for the Full team
    We do not really try to win the Olympics so how important could they be?

deejay repped this.
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Giving any consideration to Mexico winning more of anything than us is about as relevant as Lincoln being a Republican. Things have changed.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes. And George Wallace was a democrat but things changing also means that Mexico could win some things. In soccer one or two players can jump a team several levels.
    The problem i see with Mexico, currently, is partially the same one the USA had after they failed to qualify for the World Cup. They, currently, do not believe in themselves. But that can change easily. Their problem, like ours, just requires a little luck and suddenly they can jump several rating points and they can overtake the USA. I do not really expect that to happen but in soccer it "could" and it could very easily.

Bajoro repped this.
  4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I think you're reading too much into the semantics of coach-speak.

It's true that this team is still growing and is far from reaching it's peak. Qatar provided great experience, but this team is still young and will need more experience before it can be expected to reach it's peak. Copa America is extremely important in that sense. That isn't making excuses or minimizing expectations. It's just reality.

Burr, Bob Morocco and gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why you insist on calling the Olympics "not a tournament", but whatever. I'm not going to fight you on it anymore.

The USA does take it seriously, as does pretty much every other country. But it's not the premier tournament for most countries, and often times there are conflicts with the A team schedule, so deference is often given to the A team. Which makes sense.

Bajoro and gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I DO NOT say it is not a tournament, it is. I say it is not a U23 tournament and it is not a full tournament. It is an Olympic tournament. The only time anywhere in the world a tournament is played where only 3 players over 23 are allowed and the rest must be U23.

If we took it seriously then we would send the best team possible. We do not do that.

But it is fine you do not wish to fight with me about it as I do not like fighting. Disagreeing is fun but simply arguing is not.

You know if you do not want to respond to my posts and not even see them you can use the ignore list. I ignore several people here (as I am sure several people ignore me), maybe justly and maybe not justly), but I never see their posts and neither of us is made unhappy by the other.

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't roll like that (ignoring people), and you aren't close to me reconsidering, either. But I do disagree with your assessment of the Olympic tournament. It is a unique tournament, for sure, and not all the best U-23 players from every country are there. But, even with the 3 above-age players allowed (which I actually like, as mentors that help hold a young team together in a tournament that's as grueling as any other--if not more on account of the small rosters) it's a great tournament. It gives a lot of young players a chance to showcase their skills. And because many of them (especially from countries with tons of talented players) might not get a chance on a bigger stage in their careers, guys really give it their all. It's a great competition, even if it lacks the world's best U-23s.

Bajoro and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that Europe doesn’t take it seriously, but everywhere else does.

russ repped this.
  9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    March was always the planned window for the NL semi and final. There was a global pandemic and they had to adjust.

There was early talk about the 2025 GC featuring a lot of quality teams and almost becoming a de facto confederation’s cup but FIFA expressed displeasure with that and want to build up the Club World Cup, which will be held in the same summer in the same country as the GC. We will see what happens with the guest nations.

Burr, gomichigan24 and tomásbernal repped this.
  10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Getting angry about “building blocks” is giving extreme “looking for something to be mad about” energy. Next thing you’ll tell me is that, “you can’t even complain about the end of the roster because of woke.”

Everything in a cycle is building towards the WC. That’s when things truly matter. It produces moments that we get to endlessly debate.

11. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Can anyone really argue that Gio doesn't need games?

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    We've seen the "building block" type comments leading to 2026 since before the 2022 World Cup. It's a rationalization used to relax expectations and soften criticism of performances. Point to the plan for the future when there's no guarantee that circumstances will develop as hoped, simply because injuries happen and player development is never guaranteed. So it's natural that it could annoy US fans.

We've seen a recent example at the club level with Vincent Kompany at Burnley. Burnley fans are very frustrated because he pointed to the long-term plan to protect his job, and then immediately jumped ship despite the club staying loyal. I'll note that this doesn't really parallel the US situation at all, as Berhalter's job is safe, coaching in the Championship is far different than CONCACAF, and there's no sign that an attractive club in the Championship would hire Berhalter.

RalleeMonkey and russ repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    No. There's been a pattern of commentary and behavior going back 5 years. Berhalter isn't new to the job.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You need to trust the process, it’s a young team. Just think of the 2026 World Cup as a building block for the 2030 World Cup.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He said part of the building block process is putting in good performances at the Copa America.

RossD and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People need to stop trying to read something that's simply not there. Tired of the any reason to throw mud at Berhalter. He does things that are mud slinging worthy but this interview is not even close to that. Give the guy a freaking break.

USOutlaw16, RossD, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this is just standard coach speak to me and doesn’t mean anything to me.

Berhalter should be judged by the actual results in Copa America not by some fairly run of the mill comments in this interview.

ifsteve, Winoman, Bajoro and 2 others repped this.
  18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    He's stated the goal for 2026 is the semifinals. Even accomplishing that goal, 2026 could still be a building block depending on the state of the player pool/program.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    A "pattern of commentary...," again, seems like you're getting too caught up in coach-speak.

I remember a press conference pre Gold Cup 2019 where he definitely limited expectations, but we've come a long way since then. The infamous 0-3 Mexico game, also in 2019, was followed by a press conference where he discounted the result due to the long term vision. Things have changed a lot since 2019...

Talking and press conferences are what they are, but Berhalter has accomplished every goal set out in front of him in the last few years. In at least a couple of occasions, he has surpassed expectations. Hyper analyzing coach-speak comments to the media seems less relevant than watching how the team has evolved and what they have actually accomplished, and as for current and future expectations, those comments mean next to nothing.

gomichigan24, RossD and jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I absolutely hate Nations League. It serves absolutely zero purpose for teams like the US, Germany, Mexico, England, etc.

Sure, it’s great for smaller countries to get more competitive games against similar competition. But it’s pointless for countries like the ones I mentioned. Let them have the ability to schedule more friendlies. It would also help fixture congestion for higher level players.

21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this because Europe has U21 as its highest “youth” age group while the rest of the world uses U23, which is what the Olympics use?

I honestly don’t know the answer to this. It does seem like AFC, CONMEBOL, and CONCACAF do value the Olympics while UEFA isn’t as interested. The whole U21 vs U23 thing could put UEFA at more of a disadvantage in terms of putting U23 teams together.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I wrote 'commentary and behavior'.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He has had by the most talented team in the Federation. Still struggled against El Salvador, Wales, T&T, and Jamaica. Got whooped by Holland. He has done OK for what he has had to work with.

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree about the Nations League serving no purpose. The intensity of a friendly match pales in comparison to that of a tournament/cup competition match.

Plus, the FA's were having trouble selling tickets to friendlies. The Nations League games bring them more money as they sell better. Also, the top players are less likely to skip official competition games than they are friendlies. Which in turn makes those training sessions more competitive.

tomásbernal and superdave repped this.
  25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don't see the point in worrying about Nations League -- it's 2-4 games now, max, for us, and 1-2 windows. The worst team we will probably play is T&T, but it's going to basically be a home and away against a 5-8 team and then two games against other Top 4 teams.

Given it's competitive and one of those games is away, I don't think it's so bad. We negotiated our way out of the Grenadas and Cubas of the world.