Berhalter: Burghausen v. 1860, 8/28 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 28, 2006.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Gregg and co. take a 2-0 road shutout. Berhalter went 90.

2. FCL-Germany

FCL-Germany New Member

Jul 17, 2006
    I still don't understand why he has left Cottbus.
    Now he is playing in the second league, with cottbus he could play against all the first-league-teams on a higher level.
    Of course, Munich seems to be a better place to live than Cottbus but Gregg was a leading player in Cottbus and had a good relationship concerning the fans and the whole region.
    Propably 1860 Munich will be good enough to make it to the first league but it won't be that easy.
    But anyway Gregg Berhalter still is a player who has the skills to play in the national squad because he showed that he can lead a team being captain in Cottbus and Munich.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I right in saying Gregg questioned Cottbus montivation and committment to staying in the Bundesliga? wasn't one of his main issues the fact Cottbus were going to have little money to upgrade the squad? At first I was shocked he chose to leave Cottbus but given the fact he's come into 1860 and showed the upmost professionalism and earned his captaincy, he'd made a wise choice. 1860 are young, i believe, and Gregg is being looked as a manager on the field. BT, Gregg does strike me as one that could move in a manager role after his career is done.

4. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    I think you may be on to something. It may be a combination of things (he may actually get paid more in Munich even if the 2nd BL., quality of life for him and his family, is a year leading a good team in the 2nd BL really 'worse' than a year leading a team that gets potentially shelled in the 2st BL?) that took him to Munich, but I trust he made the right decision for himself.

I think you're dead on about the management aspect, too. You can criticise his ability and decision making as a player, but his leadership is great. He would make a very good manager. I don't know if that will be in Germany or back in the US, but I'm sure that's what he'll be doing in a few years' time.

5. Zidane's Head

Zidane's Head New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    NYC
    Munich versus Cottbus, is say the difference between NYC or Chicago, and Fairmont or Clarksburg West Virginia.....

Eastern Germany is really not a nice place, outside Berlin.

6. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Absolutely right. Chicago is far better than NYC ;)

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife used to visit her first husband's family in Cottbus, and she would agree with the comparison.

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i also think Eastern Germany is not that so nice place as West Germany...I like Berlin and maybe Dresden and Leipzig..but I have to admit that West Germany is much better place to live....this is what I would say...

Munich is definitely better than Cottbus where Berhalter lived before..

I think he enjoy life in Bavaria, in Munich, Oktoberfest and wonderful countryside in Bavaria, Bavarian Alps etc. It much much better place than Eastern Germany from my point view..

i will be at Oktoberfest in Munich, ...maybe I will see Berhalter there..

I´m happy he is in Munich, in the city where I lived as a child..

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    is Chicago really better than NYC?
    I was thinking NYC is the best american city.

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Best for what? I could name at least 25 cities in the U.S. I'd live in before there.

11. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i meant "best of everything" , best of USA. From my "naive" point view best american cities are NYC, San Francisco, Chicago and Boston. NYC is special because this city has special flair, is very european:), has the powerful Wall Street. I think NYC is best US city. But it is from my german point view. I would like to spend some time in NYC. It is my dream.

From german cities I like mostly Munich and Cologne.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I think San Fran has the most European feel to it.

NYC reminds me of London

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    since you say that I believe you:)..well i have a friend in San Francisco ...he used to live in NYC before..he also said that San Francisco is better than NYC....so NYC and San Francisco are best cities...

but comparing Cottbus and Munich,...then Munich is definitely better than Cottbus..I also like Munich much more than Berlin...my personal opinion...
    another would say Berlin is better.....

P.S I missed a lot of post at BS..i was 2 weeks away on vacation.
    I also was in Bavaria where Berhalter live. He surely enjoy his time in Bavaria.

14. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Any New Yorker will tell you there's no place in the world like New York. Not in Europe. Not anywhere. And f-you for thinking any other city could compare.

(said tongue in cheek)

15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please go easy on Bltleo. She is a poster to be treasured.

16. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Culture, diversity, hot chicks, pizza and bagels.

I could name 25 mediocre American cities as well.

17. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany