Berhalter announces 23 player squad for the 2019 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 6, 2019.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    This may be the single greatest post ever this literally proves anything is possible and you can come to any conclusion despite any amount of facts to the contrary.

Its so bad its almost hard to argue against because you literally feel like you are running on stage and being mean to taylor swift.

The entire thing starts with listing four situations. you are trying to prove that GB isn't pulling the right guys into camp/using them correctly. You list four situations:

FJ:Easily proven false he had a bad season and is hurt
    TC: Was hurt almost all season
    FM:has done nothing to prove he is even average
    TA:is he playing the correct position? well he is the best player the us has to play that position regardless if its his best position.

So you are trying to prove something true using the four situations and it turns out all are false....but is that enough to prove its false? nope because its the collective situations that were proven false that mean its true. Think about that from any scientific standpoint.

then the argument is that if every decision needs to be defended then it proves they are incorrect. Again an amazing statement from a scientific standpoint. Every statement should be defendable its when its not that its an issue lol not the other way around. We are debating them because thats what goes on a message board it doesn't make the decision right or wrong. I've listed reasons that FJ/TC/FM would've been terrible decisions to bring to the gold cup....so doesn't make it that he'd have to 'defend' those decisions which would make them wrong. See how its a pointless cycle. Would you have been ok if GB annonces a last minute decision to drop Tyler Adams for Timmy Chandler because Chandler is a better RB would you say that is a stance that wouldn't have to be defended?

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #452 Excellency, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    C'mon, you don't just walk up to a lion and start talking.

yurch10 repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There is definitely a bias against Morales. And Adams and Canouse and others. DMs who defend are not the player profile that GB is looking for. He has the whole team playing a system that fits two players in the player pool. One of which just got owned by Jamaica B. The other doesn't respond to danger around our box.

4. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #454 CMeszt, Jun 7, 2019
    Bosnia's UEFA Club coefficient ranking is 40. FORTY. In their European competition this year they got knocked out by a team from Cypress in the Europa qualifying rounds.

That's not snobbery. That's confusing being clever with being "anti-establishment".

5. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Faulkner much?

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Putting aside all the bias stuff, the incompetence, etc. - how is it that a manager would only bring 2 cf's to a 7 game tournament?

I remember when Jurgen went to Rio with Jozy who gets injured then he turns to Johannsson who turns out to be injured even before showing up at camp and when he looks down the bench he sees Julian Green at 19 yrs of age and weighing 98 lbs soaking wet.

let's forget the mitigating factor for Klinsmann - we didn't really have many good players in that slot - and ask ourselves why 3G would not make room for Sargent. For a whole cycle and a half with JK I freak because we have no width; comes Berhalter and we have so much width that he plays Pulisic as a cmid. Said width includes Lewis, Arriola, Boyd, Morris, in addition to Pulisic. So 5 wide forwards and 2 center forwards - ? I believe Altidore was just recently injured and is actually rehabbing as I write this - how's the form? Does FIFA allow a replacement for Jozy's pre-existing injury to his hammy?

Not to mention Sargent could actually play wide if we wanted that. He plays wide role all the time, it just isn't his "official" position.

Let's forget for the moment about Sargent starting. One of the 2 cf's will be starting, in summer weather, and getting very hot and tired, cooling breaks notwithstanding. We need somebody who can come in fresh with a limited assignment, full of youthful energy chasing down balls, finding some space, doing some defending, etc. I don't see how anybody would be better suited than Sargent when you take all things into consideration.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you should read more carefully. i posted previously exactly what berhalter will be doing previously. what youre replying to was a response to another poster jokingly mentioning the setup we used against jamaica as a better alternative- i was illustrating that ANY standard setup is better than the gimmicky nonsense berhalter is committed to.

and i stand by what i said.

8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    haha yeah...you didn't say it...but stand by what you said. Makes total sense to me.

9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

you may not be aware but that is why they have Jozy/Zardes and morris on the roster...they have three. Sargent doesn't play on the wings he isn't a winger he isn't comfortable tracking back and you saw that against Jamaica. The 'try hard' guy you just described..that is morris/zardes.

10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #460 rgli13, Jun 7, 2019
    i didnt say it is what will happen- which is how you addressed it. i specifically said in that post we will never see it.

i stand by my point that that hypothetical team would beat what berhalter is going to do.

i apologize for questioning your comprehension- youre clearly just trolling.

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have a REALLY hard time believing the arrogance that anyone at US Soccer has when they are going to take one of the world's best young defensive midfielders (and yes, I firmly believe Tyler Adams is in that discussion) and play him out of position on a national team that isn't exactly brimming with talent.

It's one thing for a team like Belgium to play someone in a different role from their club role when you have talent all over the field (like when Martinez put Lukaku on the wing to give Marcelo fits in the Belgium/Brazil match). The United States can't afford to do that.

And don't even get me started on the Sargent debacle. If Sargent had ANY chance to be cut from the Gold Cup squad, he should have been on the U20 World Cup team from the start. It's just mind-blowing.

FormerNo10, gunnerfan7, matabala and 4 others repped this.
  12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing would surprise me but no I don't think so. But I'd love to hear them speak up as leaders because they are the team's new leaders.

FormerNo10 and bsky22 repped this.
  13. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try hard sounds like participation trophy time. Effort is great and Berhalter's team didn't show that effort against Jamaica btw.. But at the international soccer level it needs actual talent to go with it. Neither Zardes nor Morris possess that talent. Yedlin tries hard too but I can find posts of yours and others who say he's not worthy.

At some point, you get the talent you need and coach them up. And in 2019, there actually is the talent in the pool. Too bad the same old rehash is taking that focus away.

14. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    People are actually defending Nepotism Gregg's selection of numerous players who could not make a 2 Bundesliga roster over players who are part time starters on 1 Bundesliga teams, because those players did not get enough starts/were injured for part of the season? Really?

Statman, FormerNo10, bsky22 and 5 others repped this.
  15. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Here's an idea for a totally insane "experiment" by Gregg: play Adams and McKennie together in the mid without Trapp or Bradley present. Throw Pulisic in front of them and watch what happens to the amount of space forwards and wingers have with the ball. I went back and looked at the lineups and only master strategist Dave Sarachan even thought it would be worth a try to play those two together in the midfield but always with a large sandbag strapped to their ankles in the form of Bradley or Trapp. Back then the argument was that they can't either one play as a sole 6. Then Tyler Adams did it at a much higher level than pretty much anyone in our pool has ever done and now the excuse is "system." Never giving the fans a chance to see it is so transparent and absolutely intentional.

Fyi, the last time they played in the midfield together was against Mexico in September 2018 and Tyler Adams scored the lone goal in a 1-0 victory. We probably don't need any more of that...

Namdynamo, Statman, FormerNo10 and 8 others repped this.
  16. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Can only figure it was a matter of timing. Sargent had nothing to gain and, depending how the scouts looked at him, maybe more to lose by going U20. Combine that with his most recent form dipping below Nats level. Still he could have helped that U20 side.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Sargent should be included but I'm sure that Jordan can chase guys around as the young energetic presser.

Also, Jozy just went back to back 90s for TFC so maybe we are going to be ok.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Your argument at this point is getting misleading. First, the kid is being signed to AEK. Not the Bosnian Beer League or whatever you are tossing about.

Second, if you read the initial post. I said Adams. I said McKennie. I said Holmes. I said look under rocks. I mentioned Sabadnovic. My main argument here was there are other options vs we're stuck. I think in context I win that one easy. The first few on other options are not even really fairly debatable which is why you are obsessing about the dual national Serb. I would like to see him tried with a bunch of other prospects. But acting like I was being too "clever" or "antiestablishment" when the first few on my list are already in the 23 is bull. The first one is obvious and being played out of position and is good. The second is fairly obvious and has been played at 6 already. The third is creative but I could see the potential snarl in his play the other night. The Serb is also creative and far out of box, but also unnecessary to me making a reasonable argument. And if you go back to my point being "there are options," this is relative to Trapp, Roldan, Mihailovic. Any time we quit implying I am sending up someone from the Icelandic Beer League to challenge Steffen or Pulisic is fine by me. I am offering an out of box suggestion along with a few others better known, to go against MLS level rubbiish and an old fart.

In that context, for all I know, AEK is sufficient. Just like we rostered a Kiwi playing in Turkey. I am not sure how that will turn out -- all I am saying is cap em and see -- but a team trying to find traction's road to success doesn't run through becoming selection-conservative and -defensive. We need to have some kids pan out and turn over some rocks. And we can't afford to play the wrong guys so the coach can experiment with people out of position.

Namdynamo, neems and yurch10 repped this.
  19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    That's what will happen though. We missed the WC, our team stinks, and we're pretty much doing the same exact thing. Five guys in Europe you cannot possibly ignore (for many reasons, but for USSF, primarily marketing), surrounded by MLS.

You offered options. We all want options explored, and are willing to try many different ones to move out of the current malaise.

GB/USSF defenders don't want options. They want MB/WT in the midfield, and Omar/Ream in the squad. That is the only solution. Nothing else has been tried, because it won't work.

So instead of debating options (bc again, they won't work), we look towards a rando Bosnian i've never heard of, and ridicule it.

All to keep the appearance, for some reason, that turning over the squad after missing the WC out of Concacaf is ridiculous, and we need to keep moving forward with many of the same players that have already failed, or keep WT in the team despite getting run over by Jamaica's B team.

Interesting tactic, i guess?

20. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Fire Gregg. Sargent Is more important to the program’s future than he is.

Namdynamo, Statman, FormerNo10 and 4 others repped this.
  21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a setup like this in a 4-2-3-1?

McKennie and Adams as the two defensive mids?
    Weah at a wing and Pulisic at the 10? (I admit I'm struggling with who would play the other winger in this setup.)

Nah, makes too much sense. Let's just go back to playing Adams at right back. Seems logical. :)

Statman, FormerNo10 and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    With the controversy over player selections, here's my test of the MLS and the quality of the players in the US squad: Now that Steffen is reporting to Manchester City, who would be the most likely MLS players in the squad to transfer to a club in a superior league in Europe or Mexico?

Even in 2019, with all the negativity surrounding them, I think the answers would still be Bradley and Altidore. And that, IMO, illustrates a lot of the frustration for fans who dislike Berhalter's selections, fans who dislike MLS, and/or the fans who are worried about the quality of the U.S. player pool in general.

neems and Magikfute repped this.
  23. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Or for excuses to demonstrate their Sabandzovic....ya sure you betcha

24. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish there was more. There was a period where Nat caps where used as a currency for getting over to European leagues with restrictions. I think it still can be.

But your right that none of the players getting caps are those type and we are wasting competitive caps on known quantities. That does make a lot of dedicated fans, especially with long associations following the program, absolutely furious.

To be fair though, this has been a critical issue starting after Bradley and it's been a steep decline with each successive manager.

schrutebuck repped this.
  25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    UNbelievable!!!