Berhalter announces 23 player squad for the 2019 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 6, 2019.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    No Sargent is the biggest surprise to me. Basically, if you didn't make the squad for the Jamaica match, you are in great shape!

GOALKEEPERS (3): 12-Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 7/0), 22-Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0), 1-Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 9/0)

DEFENDERS (8): 14-Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 10/1), 3-Omar Gonzalez (Toronto FC/CAN; 50/3), 2-Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 3/0), 23-Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 5/0), 16-Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 4/0), 19-Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 13/1),
    13-Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 29/1), 5-Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 6/2)

MIDFIELDERS (6): 4-Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 145/17), 20-Duane Holmes (Derby County/ENG; 1/0), 8-Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 8/1), 10-Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 25/10), 15-Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 10/0), 6-Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 16/0)

FORWARDS (6): 17-Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 110/41), 7-Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 22/3), 21-Tyler Boyd (Vitória Guimãres/POR; 0/0), 18-Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 4/0), 11-Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 27/5), 9-Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 44/7)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/06/berhalter-names-2019-gold-cup-roster

Dr. Gamera and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 GiallorossiYank, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    I am upset with a few things
    1) Omar over CCV. One is 21, the other one is slow, awful and 30.
    2) No Sargent. I know he hasn't been great lately but Morris stinks, man. Also Sargent would be starting in Poland right now, it just doesn't seem fair to the kid. But at the same time, it freed up space for Soto and Akinola (probably would have gone to Canada)...so it's tough to say that there isn't a domino effect here. Preseason will be huge for Josh.
    3) Lovitz over A-Rob? I still think Robinson has a bright future at LB, Lovitz's ceiling is limited. I'm not losing sleep over this one tho.

Other thoughts:
    1) Bradley over Trapp, please.
    2) Happy for Altidore, Holmes and Boyd.
    3) Wouldn't shock me if we see a 3-5-2 with Arriola at RWB.
    4) Good for J. Lewis but I prefer Amon. I would have taken them both, but I get that's tough with Boyd in the mix.

3. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Lol @ no Sargent.

Lol @ Adams continuing as a defender

Lol @ pretty much everything listed here.

ipass, Deadtigers, majspike and 23 others repped this.
  4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    all of roldan, trapp, and arriola. perfect.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    sigh.

MLS: 16 players
    EPL: 1
    B1: 2
    Portugal: 1
    championship: 3

Trapp/Bradley as DM > Adams as DM
    Morris > Sargent
    Gonzalez > Carter Vickers
    Lewis > Amon
    Lovitz > Robinson

I'm guessing that Holmes would be off the roster if not for Lletget's injury as well.

6. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally can't believe that Omar is here. Why?

I miss Sarachan's rosters. The team looked lost but his rosters were great.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    omar truly is so slow at this point he makes any kind of offside trap impossible.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Jordan Morris favored over Josh Sargent. Thanks GreggB, but you're only continuing to make me think you favor pedestrian MLS players over guys trying to prove themselves at the highest levels.

Just wonderful that he was kept from the U-20's so that he could be cut by Berhalter.

ipass, Deadtigers, majspike and 14 others repped this.
  9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Gotta say, anyone who can look at that roster and proceed to be interested in the GC, good for you...2 years from Couva, and ZERO has changed.

10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silver lining here - Sargent can have a full pre-season with his club.

11. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow did Sargent get screwed. No Poland and no GC. Did he really do anything to hurt his cause v. Jamaica?

I guess Gregg doesn't rate him, because again, you're screwing him.

12. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is going to be a painful Gold Cup and I'm going to enjoy every second of it! Sargent and Robinson exclusion is just mind boggling, these are the type of tournaments that prepares young guys like these two. But wait Omar, Zardes and who the hell is Lovits are in the team.........WOW...just WOW.

ipass, Deadtigers, Marius Tresor and 4 others repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Lewis is a forward, and Tyler Adams is a defender. I think Berhalter likes to poke sticks in the eyes of the fans just to be an ass. Tyler f'ing Adams is a starting central f'ing midfielder for one of the best clubs in Europe. Just because he thinks he has some newfangled system that utilizes Adams in a deeper role, the f'ing kid is a GD midfielder.

ipass, Deadtigers, majspike and 15 others repped this.
  14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Arriola, roldan, trapp, omar, lima, ream, lovitz all have absolutely no reason to be here

lewis, johnson, morris, zardes.... i guess we need to have 23 players

If Tyler plays right back, i'll be sad. Why would you not bring sargent/amon if they didn't go to Poland? what the hell was the point? robinson has his faults, but he's better than daniel freaking lovitz.

overall, an incredibly disappointing group from Gregg, and I'm not sure he's the guy.

15. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a super shitty thing to do to Sargent. I'm still not watching this team. ******** this clown show.

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question: if Sargent beats Blake last night on that turn and shot last night, does he make this squad? Otherwise, he had no service to prove himself other than that chance Holmes created.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on Sargent, but Robinson was gawd awful against a pretty mediocre Jamaica last night. It wasn't just his passing that was bad, which sometimes can be a symptom of the team around him, but his first and second touch were abysmal. Just outright awful. He deserves every second of that flight back to England.

El Burro was never going to miss out of this squad, and Omar was just bought by MLS, so you knew he was going to be on the roster as dictated by Garber through his US Soccer intermediaries.

But cutting Sargent is hard to defend. There is not a ton of logic to it, especially when he should have been with the u-20 group if he wasn't ready for the senior squad.

Deadtigers, Namdynamo, WrmBrnr and 5 others repped this.
  18. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007

Did you really think Gregg was the guy coming before this? He’s a joke and he US fed continues to be a joke.

Marius Tresor and laxcoach repped this.
  19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A. Robinson and Carter-Vickers are going to have to wait to be cap-tied to the USA.

20. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm Sargent, I start killing it in the Bundesliga and reject any communications from USSF. This kid got screwed in a very big way from the whole organization. If he was just a fringe player that might or might not make the Gold Cup he should have been in Poland.

ipass, Deadtigers, majspike and 20 others repped this.
  21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Honestly he wasn't going to start in the Gold Cup anyway, and this is probably more important long-term for his career. Plus the value of giving him a second U-20 tournament to play in is probably negligible. He's already shown himself to be a boss at the u-20 level, and quite frankly I think people are overvaluing that tournament a bit. Danny Seztela and Sal Zizzo looked like world beaters at the u-20 level FFS.

I'm more irritated by the possibility of Trapp as a starter than I am Sargent not making the 23.

wsmaugham and jnielsen repped this.
  22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    I WANT(ed) TO BELIEVE!!!!

23. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent's absence is incredibly puzzling. He did not star last night but that was due to lack of service. He could have done better with one chance but midfield hardly did him favors. Showed more fighting spirit than just about anyone else out there other than Holmes.

Also I've not been as dialed in after Couva but what's Geoff Cameron's status? I know he can be an ass but the dude has serious skills.

HartwickFan, Winoman and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  24. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy Mihailovic was cut. He clearly lacks the athleticism for this level right now. The Omar over CCV is perplexing but honestly I don't think either player has a major future with the USMNT and barring injury, Omar will never see the field this GC so w/e.

------------------ Steffen --------------------

Adams - Long -- Miazga/Zimmerman - Ream

---McKennie -- Trapp/Bradley -- Holmes ---

----Boyd ------- Altidore ----- Pulisic ----

Biggest weakness right now for us is outside backs. If we had some ballers to slot in for Adams (and he replaces Bradley or Trapp) and a killer left back (here's to praying Gloster can make the leap in the next 2 years), I could actually get semi-excited about this team. Btw, I imagine Arriola may actually start instead of Boyd, but after a good start to the MLS season, I feel Paul's been really mediocre for the last 6+ weeks. We may even see Roldan over Holmes in there but after last night I sincerely hope not.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Gregg has concluded he can't play at this level, at least for now. Just a straight-up player evaluation.

Still, a huge screw-up to have invited him to senior camp under those circumstances. At least give Sargent a chance to compete with Rennicks et al.

Marius Tresor repped this.