Bergin reports Leeds in talks w/MLS re Bocanegra

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FlashMan, Sep 22, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I wonder how much attention Boca would get on the open market. And what are the odds that he'll appear in a Fire Jersey next season? Slim to Nill?

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for the Find btw Flashman

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    boca's out of contract after the end of the season

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Bergin's theme song should be "Make it up, as you go-go"....(sung to old Wham hit "Wake me up, before you go-go") smile

6. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    How bout no.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Agreed. However, I have been more impressed with some of his articles, and the redesign of his site. He's scored a couple of impressive interviews recently, ya know the things where people speak on the record. And his redesign seems to have improved the professionalism of his writing which is nice. However, as a long time critic of the rumours that this guy throws out here. How come anyone who comes in here spamming for another message board is automatically carded, but posting threads about Chris Bergin rumor threads is okay?

8. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx
    Chris states this is UNCONFIRMED so why duragatory remarks?

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've criticized Bergin in the past for printing rumors, and being wrong about it, or for making stories out of other publications work and not citing said publication.

But, on this instance, he is merely posting on his website what is being reported by a member of the English media. And, he is citing said English media and even giving us some 411 on the guy's cred.

So, I don't think this should be dismissed as an unsubstantiated Bergin-rumor as I think it has some legs.

That doesn't mean Charlie Blackmouth is a lock to got to Leeds but I think it's a situation that could happen.

And, as one poster said on Bergin's site, I don't understand why Leeds would be dealing with MLS since 'Los is out of contract at the end of the year.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Because if Boca gets on the free market there will be a bunch of clubs looking in on him. But if Leeds goes after him now, and pays a bit of a transfrer fee, there isn't nearly as much competition.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    How can players like Bocanegra, Mathis, be out of a contract?

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's always so strange the way people rally to his defense like you're criticising their mother or something when you speak ill of his work...?

However you're right that he is just passing on information that he claims to be from the british press, and that's absolutely fine. I do however think that from my perspective some of the questions that i have with his 'reporting' have to do with the overall journalistic culture of the UK. So consiquently, it's an interesting rumor but I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    They refuse to re-sign/extend their contracts.

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Dirty Leeds!? Noooooooooooooooo!

Fat Freddy better get off his ass and make a move for Boca so he playing alongside Woodgate for the Toon.

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Choose Life!
    [​IMG]

16. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bocanegra needs to be prepared to play Div1 ball if he signs with Leeds.

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry of this has been discussed to death, but what is CB's UK work permit situation (or what will it look like in January)? Does he have an extra double-secret EU passport of some sort? How close is he to 75% caps over two years status with the USMNT? Does Leeds have more influence with the Home Office than Spurs did with Convey?

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Someone posted very detailed info about this on USN&A back during the Gold Cup I believe. IIRC, he's off by one or two games.

19. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Surely a guy who's a finalist for player of the year would be close to having enough caps...

I think this guy will be a nice player in a top Euro league.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I just want you guys to know I've had Wham! songs stuck in my head all afternoon. Thanks alot, guys!!!

What's next, Frankie Goes to Hollywood?

21. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Relax, Sandon.

[​IMG]

22. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Should've seen me searching around for that freaking photo in my school's computer lab. Can't say I really want to be browsing through George Micheal's fan sites in public. In terms of this Boca rumor, seems to me that there's always a lot of rumors floating around about a lot of our best players since before and after last years WC. And we've really yet to see any kind of flood overseas.

23. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. so basically, you like him better now that his site looks cool?

... because he has always gotten "on the record" interviews.

and bergin never reported anything. this is a rumor.

24. arkadygelman

arkadygelman New Member

May 22, 2003
    D.C. give or take
    Personally I'd love to see Los at Leeds, gives me all the more reason to continue my support.

25. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    His site looks more professional, and I feel that there's been a change in the quality and tone of his writing since he's changed it. Does Bergin suck all of you guys off to defend him in the way you do, or is it something else?