benny playin in midweek friendly with HSV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by forza inter, Jan 14, 2006.

1. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.hsv.de/index.php?id=14772

looks like he came in in the 61st minute. nothing on his game particularly written but it good to know he is gettin minutes with first teamers in these winter break friendlies. good to see from benny, wish him luck in the second half of the season with HSV, hes clearly on the first team coach's radar.

forza inter

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  3. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the coach seems to really want to give his younger players like benny some good minutes in these friendlies. he sounded impressed overall with his younger guys, regardles of the final score. good to hear the coach is really just looking to bring his younger players along first, worry about the results second.

forza inter

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YA.com had a brief write-up in the second half, as it game was broadcast on German national TV. They said that he played D-Mid and did nothing spectacular but showed good ball skills and was very hard to knock off the ball.

5. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    As far as I could tell while preparing some goulash he played on the right of a midfield diamond.

He’s great on the ball, but lacks bite in the tackle. Seems to be too nice of guy.

He’s certainly not a defensive mid.

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Yeah- the defensive mid thing also seems strange to me. Granted, Benny is very good at shielding/holding/distributing ball and he uses his slight body well in defending, but he is not a classic d-mid in my mind. No ferociousness in tackle, doesn't seem to be a guy who could own the area in that way. Most successful d-mid I think of (Keane, Graevsen, Davids) have that bulldog like quality, and are physically tough too.

Maybe Benny is a new kindof d-mid. Can anyone think of a successful model player like Ben in pros? Lothar (although he played sweeper) is the closest that comes to my mind (although obviously Benny is different- I'm speaking of the 'average Joe-size guy who's strong in tackle/defense). The Revs Parkhurst is another, although I'm wanting to hear about European stars in the position that play like Ben..

7. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I don’t think he will play that position for HSV or anyone else if they’re using a diamond midfield. When you only have one dedicated d-mid, that guy has to be a killer in the tackle and benny isn’t.

If a team is playing a flat 4 midfield then he would be one of the two central mids, probably the one with more attacking freedoms.

Lothar was a venomous tackler, both in his midfielder days and as a sweeper(post 92).

Your guy has a great touch and composure. He’s certainly better at attacking than at winning the ball.

8. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I am wondering about this too. It seems the tough tackling bruisers are going the way of the scrambling quarterback in the NFL.

These guys just lose too much of their careers running around running into guys. After a while their bodies are just too banged up and they can get injured watching tv on the couch (see Mastroeni, Pablo).

Makelele very seldom tackles hard head-to-head. Marquez? They're the only two established players I could think of. Good, strong, firm tackling will always be necessary, but the days of trying to intimidate with every tackle may be on the decline. Especially since attacking players are so physically robust these days.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...well ,that and you get a card for looking cross-eyed at anyone,not that that's bad.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Funny enough, I forgot about Reyna. He is not too dissimilar to Benny (however I think Benny would be a better offender, and Reyna a better defender), but probably both of them have the biggest strength of being able to hold/hold of/distribute. Obviously, their styles are different, but same result. Reyna seems to have found his midfield soul mate in Barton, and maybe Benny can find the same, on some club.

I could also see Benny being very effective in a 3-5-2 as a holding mid sandwiched between an outright attacking mid, and a defensive destroyer

11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A couple of things to consider would be 1) HSV does not need him playing attacking midfield at present, so the only way to get him on the field is at a different position (Reyna played a lot of d-mid in his early days at Bayer); and 2) the coaches want to see how he does in a different position, that exists outside his comfort zone of play and presents more of a challenge to him (Arena has been known to do this with Nats, so its not unheard of).

For Benny, any opportunity to play is a good one at this point. Hopefully he is putting himself into the coaches' minds with his play.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    As well, the mark of a true professional is to add to your game over the years- and master some things that were previously not strengths (while making weaknesses less 'attackable'). Obviously, Benny comes with certain strengths. I think its apparently he will have to add to the physical part of his game (or he will be relentlessly attacked on it). He seems like a very heady player, so my expectations are that he will grow his game over the years.

I am still in awe over the Henry wonderpass yesterday. What a fantastic player that guy is, and a true role model in 'how to add to your game' over the years (note moderator: Nothing I'm saying here indicates scoreline in any way)

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, or in a Box, he can be either a pivot guy or one of the 2-way deep guys. Arena played Reyna and JOB together vs. TnT. Benny looks like a perfect replacement for Reyna.

14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that he has a better outside shot. I really hope he keeps developing, b/c the US is going to need him in 2010.

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Benny is a two-way mid and not a d-mid. He is more like JOB than Reyna in that regard. His game? Xavi is the guy like his game.