Benny Feilhaber

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Abebe, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering today's date, how about Phillip Morris? You know those guys have gotta be ready to fire up the production lines as soon as/if the funny stuff gets legalized ;)

Back on topic... unfortunately, this organizations actions, or lack-there-of, over the course of their existance (especially in these recent years) give me (and MANY others on this board) little to no hope of them following through on their claims to sign a "big" DP this summer, or ever. If they prove the masses wrong, then hats off to them. But until then....

2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it really smells like the REVs are not hanging on to Benny.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may very well be right Brian, but he doesn't need to land in Boston for the team to announce they're going to keep him. There's nothing, not a freakin' word, on the website about this. Like it never happened. So basically what we're learning is that the only people that know are the ones that are discussing this in forums such as this, because the Revs haven't wanted to tell other fans what's going on.

4. ntolman

ntolman BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will get absolutely nothing worthwhile from anyone, let alone Houston. I'm not saying no one has quality players. I'm saying the Revs leadership lack the good judgment to get the good players with a trade.

5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The heat is off; they selected hm. Everyone (but us) went to bed. Minutes don't matter here with regard to a trade.

Maybe they are waiting for Benny to touch down in Boston and have a press event?

I'm not terribly confident that this ends well for us, but the fact that we don't know yet isn't a big deal.

6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Either the Revs are trying to trade him or Benny doesn't want to play here. In my eyes it's one or the other, neither of which bode well for the Revs.

7. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The Revs have selected him through the allocation process, but it's clear they're still not certain he's sticking around. If I'm the Revs' PR outfit, I wait until word comes down that Benny isn't leaving before I make an announcement.

8. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your point is valid. Wouldn't it be a PS disaster if they announced something and then Benny, threw a fit about not wanting to be a Rev?

Maybe right now they are consoling him and his agent and trying to convince him things will be really good here if he just goes along with it.

9. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston is in negotiations with the Revs is it possible their are some other team in the mix as well? I'm just curious as Houston doesn't have anybody I would really want but other teams may have some descent players to trade for.

As time keeps ticking and still no word from the Revs on this has me concerned. Keeping Feilhaber is what this team needs to around their on field product but also off field product. Trading him for who knows what will brings us further into the abyss that we are in now.

10. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is absolutely no way this ISN'T going to happen...!!

There is no way the FO is going to let Benny get away...!!

The FO just won't do something dumb and trade this bonafide player, who is 26, for anyone on the creamsicle line up..!!

We are going to be happy having Benny playing in the midfield in front of Shalrie and behind Lekic..!!

For me..he's the type of player that ANY real Footie fan would want to go see play...!!

This is the type of player, with day in, day out action, will only get more confident and shine...!!

There is no way the FO is going to not take this and make the Revs Better...!!

This is NOT going to be, an almost!!

11. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. We laugh that this team is already a minor-league operation, but imagine the looks we'd get if we announced Benny was sticking around 16 hours before we traded him/he demanded out.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Let the dust settle before flinging a press release.

12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do people think BF would demand out? Is it geographical preference or is it a comment on how he thinks (people think he thinks...) this franchise is run?

13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, And, something tells me that a similar thing happened with the Fred acquisition. :eek:

14. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frustrating, I know. They should at least acknowledge it to the level that MLS has.

Perhaps they've put Houston (or other clubs) under a deadline to accept/reject a trade offer. Perhaps they are doing some soul searching about the money and what it means to future moves this season. Maybe everyone is down in the pro shop making Benny jerseys. :)

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly someone isn't as familiar with KSG as we are.

16. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives is saying he's a Rev, though unsure if he'll be traded. I actually believe this has the potential to change the whole tenor of the season.

17. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a big moment in Revs history. Screwing up these next few transactions should be a fireable offense.

18. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trolling, just making an observation from the other side of the fence;

The dynamo see benny as the last peice to the championship puzzle. We're not looking to shake up our lineup (that already happened in the off-season). I seariously doubt that we would trade you any starters that are not going to be replaced by our recent acquisitions (palmer and weaver come to mind). If this trade goes through, it would likely be for our allocation spot and future picks, possibly with one of the afformentioned players. Therefore I really don't see this trade happening.

19. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    IMHO, you guys need to lower your expectations on what we give you I think or you will be gravely disappointed. Just like Houston fans thinknig we can give up a pile of turds (Garey, Weaver, Robinson, Palmer, etc) need to be much more realisitic.

I honestly don't see how anyone can postulate that we give up Cameron. I know it's Feilhaber and I know he's worth Cameron, but why would Houston fill up their hole in CM by creating another hole in CM? That just makes little sense.

With the acquisition of Colin Clark, I think acquiring Davis is a slight possibility. However, Houston knows what it has in Davis and his value to the squad so I wouldn't think you would get much more than him.

I honestly don't know what we would have to offer you to make the move acceptable. I would think something along the lines of Danny Cruz + Will Bruin or Cruz + Palmer + Boswell/Clark would be along the lines of what we would offer. Plus obviously allocation spot + draft picks.

I completely agree that IMHO, the odds are Revs keep him because Houston can't put a package togehter good enough to justify the move. That being said, the sources in Houston saying we are still in the hunt + the lack of Revs announcement makes me think the teams are still working on a deal.

20. ptm9

ptm9 New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Agreed.

Cameron & Davis are marginally better than jeff larentowicz and wells thompson who the Revs let go.

Benny has the potential to be one of the best in the league, and teamed with Joseph, it would actually get me off my sofa to go pay to see them.

The downside here is that Benny goes off to the Gold Cup and abandons the Revs for the heart of the summer schedule. He also is probably already lining up a return to Europe.

The sad part is that the entire history of the Revs remind me of the Bruins back when Cam Neely & Co. were 1 good player away from winning the cup, and the cheapskate owner was content to make the playoffs and make $ off beer&popcorn.

Also, to your point, Vidiera was local, too, and look where that got him. I couldn't pick Cameron out a lineup, so I don't think a PR campaign is in the offing. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see talent.

It would be seriously depressing to trade Benny. If this happens this will be the worst Boston trade since Babe Ruth.

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The dynamo see benny as the last peice to the championship puzzle." Wow such loftiness and on our boards.

22. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the Revs are not only fielding offers from Houston but other clubs as well. In saying that the only way the Revs move Benny is if they already have a major DP locked up in the summer (unlikely) or are getting some pretty attractive offers they simply cannot refuse. I'll say he stays and becomes a major addition to the Revs midfield.

23. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If I may summarize what seems to be the Revs' current stance:

"I know a supermodel just plopped herself in my lap and asked me out, but this may mean I have to give up my plans to date all other supermodels."

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we trade him for future picks, man I can't wait to hear the spinning that goes on. It'll be fantastic.

Luckily with 5 goals in 6 games, not having scored in 180 minutes, having one shot on goal the last game and a combined three in the last two games, it's not like we need a CM.

25. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we gave the ball away 500 times in the midfield in houston, and they won the game on an obvious handball......."last piece to the championship puzzle?????"