Benny Feilhaber rejects Austria

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Yank22, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
  2. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
  3. BSchweini

BSchweini New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    I think Rossi and his dad have enough sense as it is. I'd much rather work for a spot on the World Champion's roster than take the easy way out and play for the US (who will win nothing even with Klinsmann!).

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Rossi can't even play for Newcastle United....how the fcuk is he going to be selected by Italy...??

I'll answer my own question....he isn't.

5. BSchweini

BSchweini New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    He may never play for Italy.

Does that mean he should take the free ticket and play for the USin qualifying against power houses like Honduras, Guatemala, and Panama with Mex thrown in there once or twice a year??

6. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or against teams in the world cup , copa america , and confederations cup ?

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Marino, Andorra, Faeroe Islands, Scotland, Iceland, etc.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from benny to rossi in one post. nice.

9. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have been a huge loss to have Benny go with another national team....it's good to see that he's loyal to the country of his (parents') birth. ;)

With Rossi - I used to be a bit miffed that this guy was so set on playing (begging for a bench spot) for Italy, but similar to what england66 said, if he can't even break on into the substitutes bench for Newcastle's games (how many appearances does he have so far on his loan?), then maybe he's not so hot. If he wants to pass on being a starter for a decent team that would take him to 2-3 world cups, possibly a few Copas, maybe a Confed. Cup or two in his career for the chance of getting the occasional call-up for a great team to play in b-rate friendlies and against more powder-puff European teams in Euro Cup & WC qualifiers, then he's more than welcome to go for it. :rolleyes:

Well, he's young still, and has plenty of time...I guess if it becomes clear in the fall of 2008 that he won't be figuring at all in Italy's WC 2010 qualifying campaign (no chance for Euro 2008, but I think that goes without saying), then maybe he'll have a change of heart.

(hey, I did write one sentence about Feilhaber!! :p )

10. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he should do it the hard way and qualify against Slovakia, Faroe Islands, and San Marino with maybe an Ireland or a Belgium thrown in. :rolleyes:

11. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA .... rep forthcoming.

12. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Altidore.

13. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, due to the utter incompetence in the US forward pool ... he probably could have walked right on to the '06 WC squad and played against minnows like Italy, Czech Republic and Ghana. that's if (1) he would have committed soon enough, (2) not pissed Bruce off in the process and (3) shown the ability to, you know, kick the ball in the ocean from the deck of an ocean liner.

14. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Austria we have to worry about with Benny.

It's Brazil.

15. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Glad to see that Benny is dedicated to the cause. It's good when we have players that can contribute to the first team on a big side who are vying for international spots (i.e. not Rossi).

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brazil? That is hard competition. Hard decision for Benny.

Brazil or USA.

I hope he says USA.

17. Neutral2

Neutral2 Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Slovakia, Ireland, Belgium and Scotland(someone mentioned them above) are better than the USA.

18. SCCS Coach

SCCS Coach Member

Nov 29, 2006
    haha :D Slovakia...

19. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    No one has commented on Wicky's injury. He was one of the two players ahead of BF at the start of the season. This should put Benny back in the starting lineup for a while.

20. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well Germany is better than USA:)...that´s enough..

21. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    I won't lose any sleep over this, if only because Benny will soon be too old to switch.

22. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You're all assuming there is a free ticket to play for the US?

Like england66 said: He can't get off (or even on)the bench at Newcastle...

23. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Brazil won't be a problem as long as he plays in Germany. If he goes to Italy or Spain however, it could become an issue, especially since he plays a position Brazil is not especially traditionally deep in.

24. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    OMGoodness, here come the idiots...

25. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id
    brazil blames most of their misfortunes in the last world cup on using too many players from the european soccer system instead of their own. Wow only on big soccer could someone make an uninformed message and others run with it as if it was the truth. So im thinking that any player the brazilians use would have to go through their youth system and at least spend a little time in their top flight for that player to get selected onto their national team.