"Benji" Joya at Necaxa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 21, 2012.

1. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started and went 90 yesterday for Chicago in preseason. I didn't watch it be a friend told me he was the best player on the field. Looking good for him to get a lot of minutes this season.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I watched it and Joya, Pineda and Tottenham 'trialist' Ward were the 3 best players on the pitch dominating Colorado's fringe players for 2-0 halftime lead. Colorado put in a few of their real bench players who were better for a closer second half. Joya and Pineda may not start the season as starters but will get time and may start to move some starters out as the season progresses.

USAMEX10 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I skimmed through the game replay on YouTube and came away with the same thoughts. Even though Pineda didn't provide an assist like past games I thought he played his best game of pre-season against Rapids. Just needs to be more direct and take shots otherwise did good. I think that'll come with confidence from scoring. Joya..seems to be a perfect fit in Fire's new system. His confidence a sky high right now. Honestly think he can take Rolfe ' spot sooner rather than later

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good Analysis. They are right where they need to be. Getting time competing for first team minutes. Not giving them minutes but earning them. They weren't perfect but you could see confidence growing, good skills, good decisionmaking. They probably lost the ball a few extra times but with minutes they are learning time and space at this level. Pineda is a big ball wizard. I don't even know what to call the move but he would pull the ball back with one foot then switch it to the other and pull it back again. I like players with high level ball skill.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ya before his injury Pineda was leading the u20's in scoring thought they coulda used his size in the WC but guess he wasn't on form. He's getting back to that level, the A. Madrid training did wonders for him. As a Fire fan I've unfortunately never attended a match live yet, but if those guys and Shipp make an impact this season I will make an effort to drive the 40 min. and watch them play. I bet many people would be persuaded to see them too. Those types of players are the kind Fire should be marketing.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It seems like there are minutes to be grabbed in the Fire's midfield this season. Pause and Larentowicz are established leaders, and pretty good MLS players, but they are aging. The other early- and mid-career pros are hardly stars. If I were the Fire, I would probably be looking to upgrade along the midfield line, but also would give the new guys every opportunity.

All that said -- since this isn't a loan, he ain't a YA for a while. Thread can probably move...

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

The Chicago Fire declined their option to buy that they had on Joya’s season-long loan deal, leaving the 21-year-old to return to Santos Laguna this winter. Joya could be headed elsewhere though for next season, with options in both Major League Soccer and in Argentina, Joya’s agent Maximiliano Roditis confirmed to SBI.
    http://www.sbisoccer.com/2014/11/leaving-options-argentina.html

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago is gonna regret letting him go.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago fans might but I doubt Yallop will. He just doesn't seem like Yallop's "type" of player. That's probably why Benji didn't play the last 19 out of 20 matches. He will be better off without Chicago. I would love to see him in Argentina. It's such an underrated yet ultra competitive league that displays quite a bit of different types of football all wrapped up into one --- if that makes sense.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine there will be plenty of interest throughout MLS

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is listed as being with Chicago by US Soccer

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer listed by Santos Laguna

606969644700680193 is not a valid tweet id

If he can't find an MLS suitor, perhaps an Ascenso MX club is next.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Would have thought Joya and Cuevas would be out of contract by now.

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible that they are and that the "transfer list" is a weird pacto de caballeros thing. Just speculating though.

ielag repped this.
  18. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    end of the road in Liga MX then?

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the beginning of the road in Ascenso MX:

20. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hmm could be a good move Necaxa is always one of those clubs that seems to get promoted to liga mx every few years and now he can finally play consistent games hopefully strengthening his u23 chances

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    @bungadiri, can we switch Joya to Necaxa in the thread title?

He's been given #24, was DNP in week one.

Tom Collingsworth, Testudo and bungadiri repped this.
  22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah. So my first attempt at this resulted in "'Benji' Nexaca at Santos Laguna". Careful how you talk to mods with hangovers.

Chance, Testudo, failure and 3 others repped this.
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made his Necaxa debut in Copa MX with a 10 minute appearance in a 4-2 loss to Toluca.

24. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Tom Collingsworth, BostonRed and Testudo repped this.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Joya was lined up at LM but on a counter in min 90, he took possession in the center of the field and had a very nice rip from 25 yards. Well saved.

Game ended 1-1.

autobus39 repped this.