Benfica Fans Only 2: We're Better and More Popular than You and You Know This, Son!

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Brian De Sousa, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'll be there tonight

2. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Viva Benfica !!!!!! With todays we are back on top of our CL group. Good result for our league !!!!

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A Atletico win or draw at home to Galatasaray next game and we are through. Looks likely that the last game against Atletico at home will decided the group winners.

4. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Benfica with a huge TV deal. Lets hope this is enough for Benfica to purchase some help in January or at the very least, hold on to some of our youth players.

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Huge game today against Atletico. Will be interesting to see our line up for this game. Coach claims we are playing to win but will we rest anyone ? Are we fielding our best team ? Will Silvio play at LB today ? I hope we go for the win. Attack.

6. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    It's pretty much the same as they were making prior to the deal, as far as I can tell -- 34 mil euros in 2014-15, after this year they'll have 400 mil over 10 years in progressive payments, so I guess this might start in mid 30s and go up slightly each year. It probably won't change their spending / having to sell players.

Still, a fantastic achievement by Benfica, they got a lot of security for 10 years, other Portuguese clubs or clubs from similar leagues can only dream about such deals.

eurodad repped this.
  7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    OK I thought their last contract was 30 million Euros a year, so I was under the impression this was a 10 million a year increase.

chungachanga repped this.
  8. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    In 2013-14 they made close to 30 mil, so that's probably what you remembered. They don't have a TV contract as such, they have their own cable TV business with two channels (Benfica TV1 and TV2), where they show Benfica home games, also a bunch of other stuff -- Premier League, Serie A, MLS, boxing, racing, rugby, etc. So basically like typical cable sports channel.

It's been a very good business for them and very fast growing, in just 4 years they went from 8 mil profit to almost 35 mil last year. Now they are letting another company run their TV business for 400 mil / 10 years. So they get a lot of security instead of having to run the business themselves, and the new company might also make a bunch of money if Benfica TV keeps growing like it's been growing.

9. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Benfica TV won't grow any more. In fact, it'll probably decrease now. When Benfica TV started airing their home games to years ago after their fall out with oliverdesports, they somewhat fixed one thing and created other problem.

Benfica wanted BTV to be huge, so they started airing their games. This was great for Benfica because everyone had no choice but to subscribe to BTV to watch their home games. Revenues went up, they signed deals with other leagues to broadcast their games (MLS, EPL, and Brazil league off the top of my head)every thing looked great.

Well, all this had a impact abroad. Benfica getting in sh!t in certain countries for broadcasting those other leagues as they don't have those rights, hence why BTV2 was created. Of coarse, this also had a impact on Sportv Americas around the world.
    Now that Benfica went to such lengths to roll out BTV in other countries, they're games are going back to Sportv. So who will want to pay$10-$15 for BTV? Many cancellations will happen, and providers will eventually drop the channel as the interest will be low.

This is a good deal for them, but behind the scenes they have to spend money to fix a lot of potential lawsuits.

One example is here in North America, they sold the exclusive rights to Premium sport for BTV distribution. Lets say for the sake of argument, it was a 5 year deal for 10 million. Imagine being Premium Sports now? Would you still want to be part of this deal knowing that the main selling feature is no longer available?

Stay tuned, some interesting stuff to happen that's for sure.

10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I guess I missed the news of home games going out of Benfica TV under this deal. Are they going out of Benfica TV completely, or are they going to be on two channels now?

I agree, in this case this contract is going to diminish BTV a little bit. Or a lot, if there are no Benfica games on BTV at all.

I guess BTV business partners have some clauses in their contracts for this scenario, at least it would be a bit amateurish if someone bought regional BTV distribution rights without making sure they get exclusive Benfica home game broadcasts / payment reduction otherwise, or such.

11. Mike Martyns

Mike Martyns Member

Dec 14, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Força Benfica!

I'm a Benfica supporter!
    :)

12. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good luck Renato, Eliseu, Lindelof, Gaitan & Jonas.

To a lessor extent, Raul, I guess. The USA support side is getting the best of me.

13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He will forever be engrained in my memory as 'Bucho' from Desperado and 'Hernan' from Fast & Furious 5

He makes the best Villain.

738919125330845696 is not a valid tweet id

MetroChile repped this.
  14. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember him from behind enemy lines. Good flick too

15. nuno10slb4live

Jan 23, 2013
    New Beige, Mass.
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Was in the presence of the legend today.

Attached Files:

16. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When you're ready, Rafa, come on over

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benfica will go down in history as the last team to beat Atletico Madrid at the Calderon

19. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Well here we go. Another offseason with JJ . Shall we count that the young Portuguese players walking out the door . Drives me nuts. Can’t remember where I read that he mentioned to LFV that he is done baby sitting players

20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Looks like Nuno Tavares is going to Italy for around 15 million. Why would we sell a young player (who did not have a chance to prove himself) for that little ? Have we not learned from what JJ did to our youth the last time ?

21. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Well good attacking first half but they could have easily had at least one goal. We need to sharpen our defending .

22. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  23. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    From the last third of last year to this point, Benfica has not played well . Wtf is this coach doing ? This team looks dysfunctional.

24. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    We were very fortunate . We won but played vary poorly