Benfica Champions League Group

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Carepinho_7, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Carepinho_7

Carepinho_7 Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The draw is over and Benfica been drawn in Group F with Man U, Celtic and Kobehavn. Benfica should be able to finnish in the top 2 of this group and perhaps win it.

2. Alchemy

Alchemy New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Yep, top 2 for sure. :)

3. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    All the clubs in the Champions League are tough, but I'm confident that Benfica can win the group, or atleast place in the top 2.

4. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    It is very interesting to see us play Manchester again. But besides all that I can't wait for the matches to start. One thing that I disliked about watching the live streamed draw was how the announcer chose not to say anything about Benfica's past achievements, meanwhile doesn't forget to mention Sporting's quarterfinal achievement.

5. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Duh, because it wasn't Champions League.

So congrta's on getting the easiest group of all the others portuguese teams.

You ought be out celebrating.

6. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sounds like something LFV would make a press conference about...

7. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    If it is the Chapions League, then why would the announcer reconfirm Real Madrid's status with 9 cups in THIS competition. Surely you as well as I know the ECC and Champions League are the same thing with a different qualification format. Of course because we get a more favourable draw, it is called easy. BTW, which team was it who couldn't qualify from the third round last year? Any thoughts?

8. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    He should!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think Benfica was the only club announced without a side note, not that it's a big deal or anything, but even clubs that are making a first time appearence got the the "first time appearence" side note. Oh well, looks like Benfica will have to win the Champions League this season to get some respect.

9. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    Well we will just wait and see of what Benfica will do in this new edition of the Champions League. I would just love to see Rooney getting kicked off in the match against Benfica, the uproar in England would be hilarious. Lol when you watch SkyNews you'll know what I mean...

10. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Benfica-Manchester rivalry should be great to watch this year. I'm happy to see them in our group again. Manchester is going to want revenge for last season; plus I can't wait for the reception Ronaldo gets from the crowd at the Luz especially after he gave them the finger last season. Mix in the history between the clubs from the 60's and this is going to be fun. I cannot wait for the Manchester games.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  12. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Ronaldo middle-finger rivalry, duh!

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Aside from wanting a bit of revenge for last season, Man Utd doesn't give a flying ******** about Benfica. Therefore, no rivalry exists.

14. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They also didn't give a flying ******** about having a decent center mid-fielder for a full season, and we saw how that turned out...;)

15. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I also think that rivalry is too strong a word when talking about Manchester United and Benfica. Sure, there is some revenge to exact on Man Utd's part due to last season's CL group phase, but a rivalry is something that would grow in time. Remember, prior to last season Benfica and Man Utd last met in the 1968 European Cup final. That was some 37 years ago. Rivalries grow with consistency, though the matches between these two will be great to watch...

16. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Im excited to play Man Utd again!!! Its going to be even tougher than last year but if everyone is healthy and plays to their ability, we can pull of another win. Rui Costa will be a huge factor in the CL games. Hope Miccoli plays.

Please give your thoughts on the outcome of both Benfica vs. Man Utd games...

My opinon
    Home- Benfica 2-1 Man Utd
    Away-Benfica 1-1 Man Utd

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    well, while your already celebrating your progress from this group :D, then perhaps I should give you a few facts in short about the FC Copenhagen team, that I guess you know next to nothing about :

FC København (FCK) have become the 'Chelsea' of Scandinavia the past few years, now producing turnovers 3-4 times bigger than Rosenborg and Brøndby, ofcause also buying the biggest names and being Scandinavian Champions the past two years in a row. Besides the Ghana WC-06 player Pimpong and a Canadian international, then the FCK team is now more or less a mix of Scandinavian internationals, Like Linderoth and Marcus Allbäck from the Swedish WC-06 team, Hangeland who is a regular for Norway, and several regulars from the Danish Euro-08 squad, Jesper Grønkjaer, Defenders Lars Jacobsen (former Hamburger SV) and Michael Gravgaard + NT 2nd keeper Jesper Christiansen.

Strenght?... The many experienced Scandinavia NT regulars, make them the usual tactical clever playing hard to beat Scandinavian side. The difference being that they now on paper got the strongest looking team ever fielded by a Scandinavian team in the Europa Cups.

Weakness ?... The former Norwegian international Bergdølmo in left back position and the fact that the team need some reinforcements in attack at the moment.

FCK progressed to this CL group stage by losing 1-2 at home to Ajax, but then beating the Dutch side 2-0 in the away leg in Amsterdam.

18. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Speaking of danish, I could go for a nice apple danish with my morning coffee right about now...;)

No offense bud....but all those names you just spit out.....all i gotta say is 'WHO?'

19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So you really never heard of Jesper Grønkjaer ?... How little knowledge some ppl seem to have in forums like this :D .

The main feature of FCK is that they are tactically very clever playing and hard to break down, good at passing the ball around and absolutely deadly at set pieces. They got an absolute world-class header in the Danish NT defender Gravgaard (scored the winning goal against Greece in the WC-06 qualifiers and also by a header in the Danish 4-1 win against England last year), while also Allbäck (scored by a header against England at the WC-06 finals, Linderoth making the assist) and Norwegian Hangeland are excellent headers, making them absolutely lethal against even the best defense, especially because ther is no way to stop Gravgaard from getting his usual opportunities, even when you know that he's the one you need to mark at set pieces, He's just that good at heading. Just ask the English NT defense :D.

So if you got small short defenders in your team, then FCK are going to use this against you tactically and then you most surely are going to get in huge trouble with this FCK team. The best FCK player is with no doubt Jesper Grønkjaer, because he really can challenge even the best defense and provide the good crosses and assists.

20. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Lisboa
    Thank's for the Info Ceres. I'm feeling much more confident knowing FCK will be able to get some points from MU and Celtic.
    It's for first place guys!!!!!!! :D
    Now more seriously,
    I really hope both teams advance! ( I can't help it, I'm sorry!) ;)

Last year Vilareal and Benfica made their share of surpreises, FCK made already one this year, so everything can happen! Winning in Amesterdam is a very good result, no doubt.

21. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jesper Gronkjaer that's it?

He's not even as good as Gudjohnsen! :rolleyes:

22. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Lisboa
    Don't bother, many are still looking for the ø letter on their keaboard. They will soon find cause Portugal will play with Finland and Denmark next September.
    Thank's for the details.

I guess the strong point is to have this year a team that belives they can get again to the 1/4 finals.
    Our weakness is the coach.
    Cheers

23. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Let's see :rolleyes: Alcides 1.90 m, Luisao 1.92 m, Anderson 1.86 m

So you really never heard of Benfica's tall defense?... How little knowledge some ppl seem to have in forums like this :D .

24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It was not a hint towards Benfica, but a general statement... Never the less it wont matter much how tall your defenders are, unless they are much better than e.g. the English NT defense at heading and man marking, then ther is nothing much they can do about a player like Gravgaard. Fortunately he's too good a defender and therefore only used in attack for the Danish NT and club level at set pieces + as a forward if they need some extra strike force at the end of a game.

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Danm, and I even cut away the 'æ' letter in his name to make it more easy :D