Bench Denton

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewzer1308, Jun 27, 2004.

1. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    He's not even worth playing out there! He freakin made an own goal tonight. Take his ass of and bench it!

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    welcome aboard.

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no, I have a much better idea. Lets send Frankie to the bench instead!

4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on MN posted that Hejduk had an ankle injury as reason for his substitution...

But agreed, bench Denton. Statistically you could have made a case for his being on the field but last night, contrary to what some other's might have thought, was probably his worst game ever. I cannot remember one good defensive play or single adequate cross the entire match.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't try to defend him against what is usually unwarrented criticism, because I did not see last night's match. You all could be right this time.

6. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He makes them well it seems.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With any player, there are good results and bad results or, as Paul V illustrates numerically, good plays and bad plays or good touches and bad touches.

If someone has made it far enough in the game to beat out the approximately one million kids who started out as U-6's the same time he did and is now one of maybe a dozen from that group playing in MLS, he is not completely incompetent, despite what his critics might suggest.

It all becomes a matter of how often does he contribute vs. how often is he a liability.

As a defender, he is the closest thing to worthless. I could barely believe that he even kept a job after last season when it looked to me like attackers with the ball were seeking him out, and offenses were quite deliberately channelling in his direction. He was a disaster.

(Not coincidentally, this was when I finally gave up on Andrulis. He never changed the defensive alignment, never shaded him some help, never replaced him with somebody ((ANYBODY)) who might do better. Greg just kept sending the guy out there with the same scheme and expecting that, magically, he'd get a different result. It's the classic, surest sign of a lousy coach - good coaches change stuff that isn't working; bad coaches hope the guy does better next time)

The guy is not going to get any better. He is what he is and whatever good stuff he does occasionally (and there ARE things) is grossly outweighed by the calamities.

If he was not left footed, he would have been out coaching club soccer years ago. He is a Greg Andrulis favorite who only helps graphically illustrate what a colossal fool Greg Andrulis is. The day we get a new coach Eric the Dead better have his resume in shape.

8. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember one, but only one, decent play he made last night...He had the cross on our top scoring chance in the 1st half (Cross into the box right in front of Cannon that Cunny just missed getting a touch on. The ball sailed through out of bounds).

9. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I thought he played well the first 10-15 minutes, then the law of averages came into play, and he was absolutely terrible the remaining time. He must have some pretty good pictures of Greg to be seeing this much time still.

10. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was definitely favoring an ankle last night in the locker room after the game.

11. IrishCrew7

IrishCrew7 New Member

Denton=Bench! Nuf said, no explination needed! His play of late is the writing on the wall in my opinion. Can't wait for Paule to come back so we can either have him on the left or Lagos on the left with Paule and Simon holding the middle. HERDSMAN get well soon bud! Nelson is a good defender but the wheels on that bus are near flat and way too slow. Marshall will I swear score a header some day and when he does watch out because he could easily become one of our top scorers!

12. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Bench Denton!!!??? BENCH DENTON!!!????

What the hell are you all thinking????

At this point in time we should NOT bench Denton...

We should fcuking cut him alltogether the useless sack of shiiit.

13. lets_go_crew

lets_go_crew Member

May 9, 2004
    Cincinnati
    That is exactly what i was intending on saying as soon as i saw this thread title.

14. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    I wish this ball would have hit Denton square in the head:
    [​IMG]

15. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
  16. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Hang Denton

17. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    And please let us not forget that he was a last minute signing in the offseason. Should've been let go some time ago.

18. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was also a little discouraged when he re-signed his contract this winter. I can't believe they couldn't find a better option.

19. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of us thought Lagos was that better option. Maybe even Wingert.

20. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had always had the impression that Lagos was going to be starting out wide on the left. If not Lagos, then Testo or Wingert (depending on game situation). I just don't see why we insist on running the players and formation that we do.

I just think that any other coach would be running the same players much differently than Andrulis does. I just wait and pray that things will improve soon.

21. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote "CrewKen" in the Eric Denton Is Crap!!!! thread on Matchnight....

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, it's simple, really.

Starting on the day after the very last day of the 2002 season, Greg and Jimbo said, over and over and over again, that their "number one priority" in the off-season was the aquisition of left-side help. They told Marz, they told their pet geeks at Crew.com, they probably told their priests and their boyfreinds: they were out for left-side help and they were damned serious about it.

So they went through the whole Tampa Bay/Miami contraction and reentry draft, the SUperdraft and the waiver draft, not to mention five months of off season trade talks and they came up with:

Eric Denton.

Fans of the three teams he had played with before wet their pants with laughter, but Denton was the best they could come up with so Denton it was, and either Denton plays or Coach Stupid admits that out of maybe 100 MLS players who moved in 2002, he couldn't come up with ONE GODDAM PLAYER who fit the bill.

Call it the winter of our discontent: the only players that they acquired from that entire off-season still with the team are Denton, Ritch and Traeger. A really stellar performance from our personnel geniuses.

So he keeps sending this feeb out there, hoping that, magically, Eric Denton will become a good player. It's the mark of an ignorant, imbecilic, incompetent and unqualified coach: rather than make some kind of change, he just hopes that something will get fixed by itself.

Denton is the bottom line proof of Andrulis' gross lack of coaching talent.

23. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Denton came in after the 2001 season, Ritch and Trager came in the 2003 draft.

But hey rant on, brother

24. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill is right that Denton came to the Crew after the Tampa contraction. But that was after the '01 season. I wonder if Greg and Ned credited their decision to bring him in for the massive '02 season.

That would make sense, since it seems that in Crewville, having one good season buys you two free years, no matter how sucky you get in the meantime.

25. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still bent about Chris Leitch getting traded too. I look at Denton and we are constantly arguing that there is no other option for the left side...well there was and we traded his ass away. He could have played on either the left or the right. He played midfield in HS and as a freshman at UNC and could have easily done it for the Crew, or played in the back like he did for most of college. He is fast, can run all damn game and shows excellent leadership skills. I know he didn't impress everybody here...but he was also in his rookie season and was still learning the ropes a bit.