Ben Olsen's return [r]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by fox point fury, Jul 27, 2002.

1. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Ben Olsen is finally playing for DC. I'm guessing that he came on at halftime, but the local tv f'd up and started showing a "Taxi" rerun at 730 so I missed a bit of the 2nd half.

It's roughly the 60th minute of the game now and he's had 2 quality shots v NE. I don't know who he came in for, but he seems to be playing up front so far.

As a NE fan I hope he doesn't do much tonight, but I thought highly of Ben pre-injury and I'm looking forward to some great games from him both with DC and the nats.

2. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ah, Bennie boy,

So young to be struck down.

Nothing gold can stay.

Wait - this is a thread on his return?

So the rumors of his death have been greatly exagerrated?

Dr. Olsen, I presume?

3. Pandamonium

Pandamonium New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Lafayette, LA
    Ben Olsen's Return

I was at the game and Ben came on at halftime and then was substituted out in the 75th minute or so for Eddie Pope. It was great to see him out there again. He had two great scoring opportunities. Could he have buried them if he had been playing for a while, maybe. The problem is that you could see him run down after 20 minutes or so. So as long as he keeps getting in training I hope we get the Ben of old back.
    The funniest was seeing Eddie Pope in the forward position. Great player, just doesn't have the killer instinct of a forward.

4. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Ben Olsen's Return.

Three wonderful words for any US fan to hear. Good luck, Beninho. May luck be on your side from here on out.

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Ben Olsen's Return

god, ray hudson really has lost it in d.c.

pope at forward?

6. HoytClagwell

HoytClagwell BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 15, 2002
    Florida parishes
    That's great news. Bummed me out that he missed the World Cup.

Here's hoping for a long injury-free streak for Ben.

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben came on for Roy Lassiter and did more in 33 minutes than Roy has done in 8 games. Granted, neither has scored during that time, but Ben, at least, looked as though a goal or two is in his future. Energetic and energizing sum it up pretty well.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben looked and played exactly the same, albeit he was winded after 10 minutes, plus he was playing forward and not right mid.

I wouldn't criticize Hudson for playing Pope up top, he was taking his best shot. Ray needed a target man in the last 10 minutes to wing balls to as the Revs were packing it in bigtime, and with all the injuries they've had Pope was basically the only option.

Anyway, it was a strange game. There was a great shot of Arena, Sacharan and Gazza sitting next to each other. I wonder if Sacharan politely answered all of Gazza's questions...

9. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    Great to see Olsen return. His fitness is very poor right now. He was winded after his first foray to the goal. But, his instincts are still there and he was dangerous and active for the entire time he was in.

I only hope his recovery continues and he makes a impact on the Nats

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen came on and was dangerous, albeit this was against the Revs. His quickness seemed to be there, but man, he sure was sucking wind before he came out.

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Ben Olsen's Return

Pope has a long history of being dangerous on headers. Remember the Ireland match? Remember MLS Cup 96? (?)

Sure it was a gamble, but DCU weren't getting it done.

12. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GREAT NEWS about Bennie's return!!! I'd been hoping that he would be back after hearing nothing from him for the last two years, I believe.

In response to his fitness, it's ridiculous to think that Ben could come in, after missing about two years, and just pick up where he left off. Of course, he was sucking wind after just a couple of minutes. His fitness will return, gradually, as he plays more & more.

The fact that he had some great scoring opportunities, after not having played for so long, just shows me how much skill & talent Olsen has. The goals will come after his fitness level improves, I have no doubt.

I hope to see Olsen back in the USMNT picture by the time WCQ begins in fall 2004. No reason to think that's not possible, as long as he stays healthy & doesn't rush his comeback.

WELCOME BACK, BENNIE!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK IN A NATS JERSEY, SOON!!!!!

13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Agreed - I got a huge rush out of seeing Olsen on the field - I kept trying to explain how cool it was to my wife, whose national team memories appear to have skipped the Ben Olsen era (see also: "Who the hell is Eddie Lewis? Where's little Beasley?", uttered by her early in the Mexico game). Ben looked extremely dangerous, and Adin Brown / Llamosa did well to keep him out of the net.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how he is feeling today? If i'm Ray I leave him out of any game in naperville. No reason to stress the ankle on the turf.

Good to see him back,though.

15. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    As a US fan and a DC fan, it's great to see Ben back. I just hope that Hudson doesn't rush him back too quick.

Signature - I'm a cheap bastard

16. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Beninho!! It's Benolson...get it right!! :)

17. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was great to be at RFK when he was subbed in at halftime, and the energy and creativity (however short-lived) he brought to the game were just what the team needed. I was convinced we were going to score, but in true DCU style (of late) they contrived a way to flub every golden chance. Still, a glimmer of hope for the future of United and the Nats. Cant' wait til he's match-fit (though from what we saw on Saturday that might be a ways off).

18. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    Olsen is way over-rated.