Ben Olsen [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Felix World soccer, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Felix World soccer

Felix World soccer New Member

Jan 20, 2000
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Did I hallucinate or did I just read Ben Olsen played for United?

I just read on ESPN's soccer page that Ben Olsen played for United's loss from halftime on. It also went on to say that Eddie Pope played offence? Is something in my coffee? Who saw the game and can varify what the hell happened and if Ben and Eddie played well doing whatever they were doing?

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben played about 30 minutes during hte 2nd half...had the best scoring chance of the game and blew it...and then he got subbed out for Eddie Pope at the end and pope played forward...

3. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Ben who?

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Re: Did I hallucinate or did I just read Ben Olsen played for United?

[R] please

5. Felix World soccer

Felix World soccer New Member

Jan 20, 2000
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Oh yeah, [R] sorry...

6. Darryl

Darryl Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Re: Re: Did I hallucinate or did I just read Ben Olsen played for United?

Yes, thanks a lot, you ruined the game for me! It wasn't on TV in the DC area, only on AM radio in Spanish. I recorded the broadcast on cassette and I was going to listen to it today, even though I don't understand Spanish.

When will you people learn!?

Just kidding ;-)

Anyway, I was actually at the game. Ben Olsen came in as a 2nd half sub for the inept Roy Lassiter. Olsen had not played a match in 18 months. He was rusty but he added a spark.

When Olsen tired in the 75th (?) minute, Eddie Pope came in. I noticed that he stayed up top and he didn't come back to his usual position in defense. At first I was confused, thinking that my one too many beer had caused me to mix up which direction United was going.

But then I realized that Pope was indeed playing center forward.

Amazing.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The clock has now started for Ben Olsen to get back into pre-injury form, where he the inside track to be the National Teams Right Midfielder. Probably his main compition right now is Santino Quaranta. Unless someone else can come up with another Right-sided midfielder? Remember, Landon will be either a forward or an a-,id, and Earnie stewart is pretty much done.

8. lurch

lurch New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    I thought he looked pretty dangerous. He had several opportunities.

As to be expected, he was sucking wind before he came off.

9. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    How did Pope look as a center forward?

10. DML99DML

DML99DML New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Maybe they should try Rimando at forward. can't be much worse at finishing then the rest of the team.

Rimando and Pope, what a site that would be.

11. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    It was amazing! A big home-town welcome for Ben. Now yes we're just waiting until he can get back to the starting line-up and maybe even the national team again, but he needs to work on his fitness. (He was winded about 10 minutes in)

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Kovalenko's "cap" status? Has this been hashed out thoroughly? If so, sorry. He's fairly young and at times looks extremely talented and at others disappears. The sort of player that in four years might have put it all together.

I don't think you can rule out Donovan at right-mid either. It might come down to a question of whether you want to take your five best attackers and find places to put them (A bit of what BA was up against in SoKo, looking for ways to get all of Mathis, Beasley, Donovan, Wolff and McBride on the field) or to instead try and pick the spots first and then pick the best for those spots.

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surpised as hell to tune into the game and see Olsen running around during the game in uniform.

It is good to see him back.

14. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    This is excellent news. I had thought he woudld be out until the last couple games of the season at the earliest.

As for the Right Wing (conspiracy), the possible plotters are Ben Olson, John Thorrington, Claudio Reyna (I think he may move to the right in the next WC)...urggh, I had a couple more in my head, but now I've lost the plot.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    wouldn't people take Santino over Thorrington?

16. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Huh? I've only ever seen Santino play forward. When has he played right mid?

17. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he felt out of place but he didn't look it. Eddie's been known to score a goal or two and I think RH was just looking for a spark and perhaps someone tall up front to look dangerous on crosses. I'm sure this was a one time deal and we won't see Eddie as a striker again.

TS.

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I thought Eddie made some surprisingly strong one-touch passes up there. It was starting to get very crowded at that end of the field by then.

19. DC Forever

DC Forever New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockville, MD
    It was a smart desperation move by Hudson to try Eddie up front -- first off, because when you haven't scored a goal in 300-some minutes trying anybody new at forward is a good idea. But also, we'd been getting lots of good crosses into the box, but Quintinilla and Olsen had both been too short to get to them dangerously, and Lassiter too crappy to connect with anything (my grandmother would have been more effective). Eddie had the hight to put something in if it came to him, but once he was in, the high balls stopped coming.

Maybe we'll try Rimondo up top against Chicago, see if that works any better.