Ben Olsen: President of Washington Spirit

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John L, Sep 2, 2021.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are doing what Bob Bradley wants. Maybe Bradley doesn’t want Curtis there.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But ... but ... but, Curtis HAS BINDERS !!!.

At least I remember that really impressing whichever loser runs the Jersey team when he was hired "to transform them" .... executives love a plan in a binder - and if it's printed on glossy paper ... you're hired.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  3. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    also remember that it never hurts to wear extra flair.....

dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hate having to go back a page to remember a topic and remember if a topic is about me.

Doogh, MagpieFan, GumbyG and 2 others repped this.
  5. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a sh!tshow. Ben must be wondering what the hell he got himself into.

A headline yesterday:

Washington Spirit co-owner Michele Kang makes $35 million offer to buy controlling interest in team, sources say (The Athletic)
    "Washington Spirit co-owner Michele Kang has made a $35 million offer to purchase control of the club, four sources confirmed to The Athletic on Tuesday morning. Kang’s offer would be far and away the largest sum ever paid for control of an existing NWSL franchise."

Kang's effort appears to be supported by the players.

A headline today:

Todd Boehly, Jennifer Tepper Mackesy Enter ‘Exclusive’ Talks to Buy Washington Spirit (DCist)
    "The National Women’s Soccer League announced on Tuesday that a group formed by billionaire Todd Boehly and retail executive Jennifer Tepper Mackesy has entered into 'exclusive negotiations' to buy a controlling interest in the championship-winning soccer team."

Steve Baldwin must really, really not want to sell to Kang.

sitruc, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure since the players* want him to do so, there is no way he actually will if he has the choice.

* Uppity bunch of cheap-labor-suppliers!

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Olsen's name at least is still listed on the Washington Spirit website.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it will be until and unless Michelle Kang wins control of the club. Then, who knows? Ben is a Baldwin guy IIRC. On the other hand, it was Ben who announced Chris Ward as the new head coach after Baldwin's guy was fired.

9. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite the dramatic plot twist! She seems like a real badass.

----------------------

Michele Kang set to gain control of Washington Spirit voting interests after wooing other investors

https://theathletic.com/3064828/202...oting-interests-after-wooing-other-investors/

"Kang, multiple sources said on Tuesday, has convinced eight of the Spirit’s debt-holders — the expansive group of smaller investors that the Spirit brought into the fold last year — to convert their debt to equity, a right afforded to them upon their initial investment, and therefore gain the right to vote on the club’s governance issues like a potential sale."

"Key to the deal was Devin Talbott, the largest of the debt-holders, who sold his stake in the team in the form of his note to Kang, leaving her as the club’s majority investor, now owning more shares than either Steve Baldwin or Bill Lynch own individually. Talbott is the founder and managing partner of Enlightenment Capital, a D.C.-area investment group and, notably, an acquaintance of Spirit president Ben Olsen."

"The other seven investors, multiple sources confirmed on Tuesday, did not sell their stake in the club; they simply converted their debt to equity and committed to aligning with Kang’s vision for the club. The combination of the investors siding with Kang and her new shares from Talbott have created a pro-Kang group that controls 52% of the votes."

sitruc, GumbyG, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She sounds like a real go-getter. Maybe we could get Kang to invest in DC United, too.

ImNumberTen, sitruc and bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything I'd heard about Kang indicated that 1) she knows how to do this manuvering of business and sport league stuff and 2) she really wanted to take the helm and 3) she cares about the Spirit as a sport club.

If only we had that kind of drive and desire and skill in the FO.

Will be interesting to see if she replaces Ben as "the other guy's hire" or if Ben gets a chance to go with the new plan. I would doubt Ben would be so invested in the previous owner as to resist whatever Kang is bringing, but Kang might have someone she'd like in that slot to push the vision.

Alejandro 10, sitruc, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Since Talbott (Olsen's friend) joined in Kang's move, I don't think Ben will necessarily be seen as "Baldwin's guy." Apparently Ben withdrew from consideration in Houston to stay with the Spirit. I would assume he spoke with Kang about his future before he made that decision.

sitruc, Doogh, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  13. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, i was unaware of that. Yeah. Sounds like he'll be the continuity guy for them then.

14. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Kang had a different vision of the parameters of his role and he noped out?

Winoman repped this.
  15. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of a weird moment during the Spirit championship ceremony yesterday. They announced each player, coach, and staff member individually and presented them with their ring. I think they forgot Ben because he was last and they didn't announce his name, but Kang gave him a ring and held his hand up to the crowd.

dadman, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Olsen now available to be hired as a head coach somewhere

Alejandro 10 and John L repped this.
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It would be worth it if DC United hired him right now, just to watch some of the people on this board go into deathwatch.

dadman, pr0ner, Alejandro 10 and 5 others repped this.
  18. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate that such a scenario feels just plausible enough that I cringed at it.

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hating the club so much you wish more ill on it to own some Ben haters?

Really?

20. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Exactly zero fans believe this club is beyond reinviting Olsen back to coach the squad. It would just be another day at the park and frankly seems extremely likely and unsurprising.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This assumes he thinks Olsen would be bad for the club.

dadman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised, tbh.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The PA announcer had a few struggles that I'm sure were just bad scripts. I was laughing during halftime while Batalá was on the field waiting to perform and all of the announcements left them with less than 4 minutes followed by that opera group singing Ole.

Winoman repped this.