Ben Olsen new President, Wash Spirit

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by msilverstein47, Sep 2, 2021.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Winoman repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is probably our chance to get rid of Chad Ashton.

Winoman repped this.
  6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Ben knows better.

For his sake, not Houston's ;) I mean if we can unload that baggage on anther team, I'm all for it otherwise.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    #7 Section 107, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Goff has a nice article on Beninho in Houston: Ben Olsen thriving as coach of Houston Dynamo - The Washington Post

HOUSTON — If you did not know any better, you might think Ben Olsen has been coaching the Houston Dynamo for years.

In his first season with Houston, he has already guided the once-elite organization to a tournament trophy, ruining Lionel Messi’s night in the process, and has its players and supporters believing an MLS Cup run is possible.

A fixture in Washington for more than two decades, Olsen has taken to his new turf. He and his family chose to live in the city, just as they did in D.C., when they nurtured three children in a rowhouse in the Shaw neighborhood.

At his go-to breakfast spot here, Dandelion Cafe, he orders oatmeal, one blueberry pancake and coffee. Before his family arrived for good in late summer, he explored Houston’s restaurant scene, from the hole-in-the wall joints to high-end spots.
    . <snip>
    “I was so not prepared for the D.C. job” in 2010, he said. “I had no foundation as a coach, no vision on how I wanted my team to play, or who I was as a leader, or who I needed to surround myself with. I wasn’t even close. I was just making it up. Fortunately I had some qualities that could allow me to get the team to at least fight and be committed. I’m so much more prepared for this job.”

Olsen has also enjoyed being an outsider.

“It’s nice being brand new and fresh,” he said. “The fans are looking at me for the first time. I don’t have the weight of 20 years of service on my back.”

Olsen recognizes he is in a honeymoon phase.

“Now the trick is sustaining this,” he said.

As tempting as it is, he said he won’t use his initial success here to counter the doubters in D.C.

“There is zero I-told-you-so,” he said. “At some point, yeah, maybe I’ll have those feelings. I am happy I made this move. I didn’t know why this was an important move for myself and the family, but I am convinced more than ever it was the right thing for us, to go somewhere we’re uncomfortable and see how it goes.”

He added: “We were so D.C.-centric and it was such a nice, comfortable life there. We took a chance, right? I’m glad, for the most part, because it’s going pretty well.”

Hedbal, GumbyG, Alejandro 10 and 4 others repped this.