Ben Olsen hoping to become a regular subject here again...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ursula, Sep 4, 2002.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I mean why else do US players go abroad? ;)

Seriously, here's a Planet Football article that pretty much says what Benny's been saying ever since he got injured at Forest all those long years ago: that he can't wait to go back there full time. As far as we DCU fans can tell, his MLS contract expires after next season. So what do you think will happen? Will ben transfer this January? Will Forest have more than $3.95 to spend on him? Will MLS keep him till the end in a (probably) futile attempt to sign him long term?

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt whether Forrest is going to buy Ben at this time.

I would think MLS would be a little shy about a loan given the results of the last one.

That leaves, Ben plays out his contract and if his play is good enough, tries to move to England on a free transfer but has major problems with the work permit. That leaves Germany or back to MLS for Ben.

3. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hypothetically speaking, if Forrest wants to sign him, will he be eligible for a work permit? He was a lock before his injury, but will the appeal committee see it as if he would have been called if he weren't injured or as he's been injured so long that he isn't of that level anymore?

4. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Ben, it seems, really wants to go on loan. If anything happens, it would be a Vanney-eque loan to potential purchase to Forest. That, or he just trains with them.

As for a work permit, it would have to be won on appeal, and the only argument for Forest would be his injuries kept him out of the national team. I'm sure they'd hit up Arena to be their "star witness".

5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    How has he been playing for DCU? I saw one of his first games back into the lineup, and he was -- as to be expected -- considerably out of game form.

6. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Based on his injury history - I would be surprised to see him get offered much until he shows good form in the MLS. Please tell me how in the past 24 months he has shown better form than Joe Max or Kirovski and Razov and yet look at where they are today.

7. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could always try Racing de Ferrol. ;)

8. FWSCKEEPER

FWSCKEEPER New Member

Aug 22, 2001
    The Summit City
    I was in Nottingham over the weekend, and the people there loved him. I mean they wer'nt just saying that either. They really did. they respectred what he brought to the table every day. They said he was the best player on the team , hands down at the time. No wonder he wants to go back. Also Nottingham is a happenin' town. the women.... WOW. lots of greta clubs, shopping , everything.

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all well and good, but they gotz no ducketts, kid.

At one point, didn't they put everyone on the transfer list?

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    He has been playing well but still below his pre-injury form. He is working hard on both ends of the field. Seems to run out of gas between teh 60 and 70 minute mark. One thing I have not seen yet is him taking many defenders on 1 v 1. All in all, it would benefit Ben, MLS, National Team, ... to play somewhere between October and next spring.

Now, the talk about his injury history. he has had 1 injury. A broken ankle. The doctor's missed a second break when they set his ankle in the first surgery. Then, trying to return with one bone still broken, he obviously had problems. These required additional surgeries to repair.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben would definately have the backing of the fans. I would also guess his price would much more reasonable for Forrest to afford than previously.

Chris suggests in his article that the wild card in all this would be Paul Hart and whether he would have the same interest Platt did. IIRC, Hart was he youth academy director when Ben was there before, so I would imagine he would be quite familar with what Ben brings to the table.

However, Ben sounds as though he just wants to get back in a shape anyway he can. I guess the DCU offseason program isn't going to cut it.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I agree with the above, re: his present form. I'd add though that interestingly, he's shown several little moves that I never saw him use at DCU or with the Nats. Just little things-glimpses really- that got him out of trouble when guys like Barrett or Petke were bearing down on him that he had to have learned at Forrest. Stuff that I don't see any US player doing and stuff that he never did before. John Diceson has said at various points of this season that in DCU training, Ben has learned to use his right foot as well as his injured left. Considering that his last time playing was at Forrest, we really don't know wha his true level is. Bottom line is that when we look at him think that this guy is a different player than what we knew.

13. Giffetinho

Giffetinho New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Well, Ben did swing a nice cross in against San Jose with the outside of his right foot...

Anyway...if his contract is up soon I guess he would be free to leave on a .... free.

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    No way MLS lets Ben Olsen go on loan to Forrest after the hosing they got on the Stern John transfer.

15. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I heard in an article posted over on the DC forum that he wants to go over in the winter on loan. Work permit likely not a problem with the Bruce saying he would have been a part of WC without his injury. So hopefully he'll get to go over.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Jeff:

1. MLS stated that it would not do that type of loan again given the risk to its property with no gain for it. Nottingham Forrest is an unlikely candidate for a loan given the problems MLS had over Stern John.

2. The work permit is a very live issue as BA's statements, if in fact he would say that, might not do the job as the test is not whether someone was part of the World Cup squad (see Ahn's case) but whether they played 75% of the official competive games.

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's either not at the top of his game, or he is, and it's fallen off since the injury. either way, who wants to borrow a broken tool?

18. John T

John T New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    South Jersey
    With the work permit issue, does a player require one if they're only on loan, as opposed to a permanent transfer?

If it's the same for both, Benny must have qualified for a permit before the injury. I don't see how he can be refused this time since he's only missed international matches because of injury, which I don't think count against a player.

19. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Comparing the before and after he went over to NF, it can be summed up in a fairly simple statement - He's a step slower physically, but two steps quicker mentally. As mentioned before in this thread he's become bi-pedal. For 4 months leading up to re-entering the game Olsen could practice, but only with his left foot.

The greatest gain in Olsen is his love for the game, if that can be believd. He now not only loves the game, but appeciates it. In essense, he's gotten over that young 'super-star' egotistic attitude, which often creates problems in the locker room, and directs it to being a leader. THAT's where he's gained the most significantly. Whereas before with DCUnited he would be one of the "other good players," now his teammates and coaches look to him.

As for the permit issue, it wouldn't be a problem. As I understand the rules, the committee, or whatever does these things over there, take time played from the day he started professional soccer in 1998 to when he was injured. The time spent while injured doesn't count against him - even though he thinks so - and it picks up again as of 1 month ago. It might need to go to appeal, but as said before, Arena would be in his camp. Likewise, Ray Hudson, current DCUnited head coach, would support any move.

I think it all comes down to dollars and pounds.

You can hunt and peck around the past couple of months and his progress and interviews at:

http://unitedmania.mlsfansites.com/...pe=2&autID=John Dyson&pgTitle=Dyson’s Reports

20. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Yes, he does need a WP. He would have to win on appeal, the injury question would come heavily into play. And its up to the appeal board, and could end either way.

21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I think Germany would be good for him. Might cure some of his occasional 'headless chicken' fits that he has.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bipedal now or not, right before the injury he had reached a point where he could control stretches of a game. I haven't seen that since he's returned. Not saying, it won't come, but given the woeful transfer market, there are a lot of very high quality players available this january for relatively low prices, and for loans. I don't know how he fits into the new market.