Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Aimer. Northend Diva, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Part of this taken from Erin's post on Quakesmagic.com:

It started at the half. I'm a former Columbus fan. And well, we all know that rivalry. So as Ben Olsen came off the field, I told him to make sure he changed his diaper at half time because his nickname we gave him in C'bus is "Baby Ben."

Well, Benny Boy didn't take that all too well. As he came back out of the locker room for the second half, I asked him if he had changed his diaper. He took a mouthful of gatorade and spit it right at my face. I turned, but he hit me in the arm and a 15-yr-old Quakes fan in the leg.

I would've have no problem if he made some sort of wisecrack back, called me a bitch, anything like that. That's fine. If we can dish it out, we can take it too. But spitting is NOT acceptable. AT ALL!!

I get to speak with the league office tomorrow.

On the other hand, I had the opportunity to speak to Ray Hudson about the incident at the pub where everyone was after the game and he apologized for his player's actions and said he spoke to Ben about it. He even gave me and the two other Quakes fans who were with me some free drink tickets. He said Ben was going to get us a handwritten apology but considering he didn't get our addies from us, I don't see that happening.

2. LuvinSantino

LuvinSantino New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Oak Hill, Virginia

that's what you get for screwin around with our players

3. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    That's unacceptable behavior if true. It's not like Ben to do something like that, and you deserve an appology. It must be tough to see your dream taken from you and then face 2 years of frustration in your attempt to come back, and likely this game saw him vent a lot of that frustration, but that's no excuse.

I've never been a fan of baiting players and abusive comments from the fans, but that's a given in professional sports, they need to deal with it maturely, and spitting is not acceptable.

Honestly, if it had been a non-sporting event type atmosphere and you had just said something like that to someone, it probably wouldn't have been as big a deal. But because it is an athlete, it makes it seem bigger. AFIK, people are people and deserve dignity, you deserve dignity and it's never acceptable to be spat at. Also, he deserves dignity, so keep the insensitive comments to yourself or say them in a forum where he can respond in kind.

Wash the shirt, get the appology, and then get over it. The psychological affects of an injury like that are overwhelming. It's very difficult to understand that until it has happened to you. That's not an excuse, but it is true.

-Tron

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Someday I hope someone will explain to me the mindset of fans who think that because they have bought tickets to the game it gives them the right to be total @sshole$ to the players and verbally abuse them and not expect the players to retaliate.

What, the players aren't supposed to have feelings about this? If that were the case, why bother saying anything to begin with? But if they respond, don't somehow get indignant and surprised that your taunts evoked the response they did. Please, grow up.

You're ticket gives you the right to watch the game. If you're an @s$hole to someone, even a player, having bought a ticket doesn't mean you're somehow immune to the response you get to the things you say.

If you walked up to a stranger - and let's face it, Aimer, even being one of the league's most well-known tarts still makes Ben a stranger to you - and started verbally abusing him, you'd have to be pretty naive not to expect that person to respond.

If you don't want the person to respond, keep your trap shut. But if you want to be able to mouth off to the players, be prepared to deal with their response and be prepared not to like it.

5. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    How do you know he spit it at your face? Maybe he was aiming for the ground, but missed...

(btw, I'm only half joking. How DO you know he spit at your face, especially since it didn't hit you there?)

Like Tron said, I don't think it's like Ben to behave like that, he's typically among the classiest of players when it comes to dealing with fans. But, he is also a fierce competitor, and sometimes competitors do things they shouldn't and wouldn't normally do.

6. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Re: ..

Good one, luvin santino.

I think North end diva is the one that needs to change diaper.

7. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    consider yourself lucky not to have gotten cantona'd. youve got nobody to blame but yourself for this.

8. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    you know what....here's how i know...he looked right at my face, took a drink of the gatorade and then spit it at me.

You know, I've razzed players before with non-obscene, non-profane verbal jabs before and they've come back with witty replies, some have called me a bitch, whatever. I don't care if they do that, I'm razzing them, they can razz me back. fair is fair, but had I spit back at him, I would've been ejected.

And I was overreacting a little calling him a jerk because Ray did say Ben felt bad about the whole incident.

9. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Rearend Diva-

As far as I'm concerned, you can take your whining and p!ss off, you pretentious little tart. Besides, I'm sure you're used to having much worse things sprayed about your face/neck/chest/head area.

Kind regards,

entropy

10. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    i'm not whining. I would've had no problem if he retaliated with a verbal barb, but the spitting is over the line especially considering that children were present. He is a professional and he should conduct himself as one....with class. What if one of your fans was spit on by one of the Earthquakes players?

I have gained a lot of respect for Ray Hudson though.

11. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and you obviously showed a lot of class as well with your 4th grader barb. Next time, if you feel like dishing it out but can't accept the result, wear a raincoat. You make me sick.

TS.

12. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    oh please. Like none of you razz Landon or for that matter any other players in the league and what I said might be 4th-grade level, but I was keeping it clean due to the kids around me.

Heck when I was still a c'bus fan, I ended up getting to know one of the Quakes players because of the razzing I gave him including saying he "shoots blanks".

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the possibilities ...

All I'm going to say is that Benny really is my favorite player now. Two thumbs up, Ben Olsen. Two thumbs up.

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you a lady? If so, that makes it all the worse. You were totally out of line, and so was Ben. Let's hope both of you can grow up and move on.

15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aimer, Northend Diva,

You reap what you sew............................... I treat Tony Meola like the "Fat Little Pony" he is. I expect to take whatever he dishes out up to the point of him entering the stands and punching me. Anything else simply means I have gotten in his head. Now why you choose Ben as your target is beyond me. He has represented your national team. He bust his butt every time he plays. If I were rooting against United I would have picked out McKinley (Hack Player) or Moreno (A WIDE OPEN NET JAIMIE!). Take a little constructive criticism. pick and choose you spots and players. Show some class in your harassment and recieve class back.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    :p :p Ben Olsen, My Man!!

17. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    You said the diaper comment once, ha ha. Then said it again later and it ticked him off. I don't condone Olsen's actions but it's crap like this that will hurt the league. These guys are some of the fan friendliest people I've been associated with as a sports fan and would hate to see these guys cut back on that because of incidents like this.

If this is all true, I hope the league or D.C. United disciplines Olsen. I also hope you will learn from this and show a little respect to the players.

Nothing wrong with yelling "Cobi Jones is a wanker"
    during a game with your pals, but when you meet up with them face to face, I wouldn't harass them.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's jealous because he's much prettier than she is. :D

19. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing your pictures, and what you consider cute, I think he was trying to do us all a favor. Troll.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What pics???? Where???

21. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Given the tone of your remarks, "given that children were present," I'd say Ben behaved with just about as much class as you did. It's unfortunate that Ben sank to your level, but he certainly didn't go below it.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see your "career" taught you one thing. Maybe Ben will follow your example and swallow next time.

23. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben "told" me that he looked at you, heard what you said as he was drinking down some gatorade and then exploded in laughter, thus forcing the gatorade back out of his mouth and nose.

Now tell us this, if someone was screaming deragatory remarks in your face, wouldn't you respond? Because obviously you were right in his face if he was close enough to spit gatorade on you. Verbal assault is a crime, you know.

24. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some years ago, the New York tabloids were full of gossip about Jose Canseco, the (then-) baseball slugger, and Madonna, having a thing going. When the A's visited Yankee Stadium, some pea-brained individual heckled Canseco, in the on-deck circle, about some aspect of this alleged relationship, and Canseco did something-or-other about it. I forget whether he threatened the heckler, or spat Gatorade on him, or something.

The league disciplined Canseco. And the tabloids had a field day with the incident - by getting all over the "fan's" case! They said you've bought your ticket, you can yell whatever you want at the player - about the game! "Canseco, you wiffed!" "Nice error in the third inning, fumblethumbs!" But whereas the baiting had nothing to do with the game, they raked this heckler over the coals.

Diva, had you yelled, "You really missed a sitter!" or "Landon had you for lunch on that play!" I would probably manage to have an iota of sympathy for you. As it is, if you really want to have some guy talk dirty to you ("Heh heh, Benny called me the 'B' word..."), I might suggest some more sociable alternatives.

-G. Rex

25. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Yes, because we all know Aimer can keep her temper in check when being harassed by a bunch of strangers on the Internet.

Aimer - take your crap and SoccerBarbie with you back to the SJ boards.

If ben did this - then yes he screwed up. If you didn't expect a player to respond, you are a bigger idiot than anyone on these boards ever thought.

If it talks like a troll and looks like a troll - its gotta be a troll