Beltran Trials at Kaiserslautern

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Zak1FCK, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-20 US National Team player Tony Beltran is on trial on Kaiserslautern according the local news reports. He is being looked at as a licensed player, but I bet he sees playing time with the reserves as well who play in the Oberliga Southwest.

Beltran is a defender, Kaiserslautern needs the help on the right side, but played in the midfield at UCLA.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Re: American Trials at Kaiserslautern

Nice pick-up. Guess the right side of the U-20s wasn't as woeful as many people thought.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Nice find.

It's too bad Kaiserslautern's reserves had such a lousy season in 06/07. I could see Beltran getting back-up minutes in MLS next season as an RB, and I would certainly class that above the Oberliga.

However, if he's getting looks with the first team, not a bad way to spend a season or two at his age to get a sense of his level.

I agree: Beltran was not the disaster area some people seemed to think he was sure to be for the U-20s.

He's got definite potential at the next level, though I don't class him as the first-line MNT prospect some of his other U-20 teammates seem to be. That could change if he commits to the position.

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Congrats to him hopefully he gets an offer!

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

Just because he'll be going to Germany for a Trial on a B2 Bundesliga team (Some ways not a good as MLS) does not make him a great player or that he had a great tournament. He didn't suck but he is not a great player. Gook Luck to him regardless.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Hmmm, there seems to be a pool of players between the two that numbers in the millions. I seem to recall another unheralded right back going to a B2 team in Germany after a strong U-20 campaign. He seemed to turn out alright, in fact, he's our best right back and captain of his club team. I put a little more faith in the judgement of pro coaches than the aspersions of BS pollyannas. K-town is a bit of a yo-yo club; but they have the history and resources to play in the top league. Beltran could do alot worse than improve as a player and help his club succeed.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

Nothing you say here I disagree with.
    You are doing the basic BS illogical logic by comparing a player to another player based on unrelated points. Remember it's a trial and he didn't sign with them. Are you saying if he got a trial with Houston Dynamo he's automatically a very good player. I've seen him play some 10 times and based on skill and not who he trials with I don't think he will help the US National Team. Which is the glasses I look at all our players. When he does become our National Teams best RB and captain of his club I will apologize for my flawed talent assessment.

8. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him. I was surprised by his strong showing at the U-20s. He reminds me of Dolo and he'd be fortunate to have as much success as Steve. Good luck and I hope he gets a deal.

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Actually, it's you who are setting up the straw man, so jump through your own hoops. I already think he's a pretty good player and didn't agree with the BS chorus during the tournament, deriding both Beltran and Zizzo. I think it is significant that they are two of the three players from that team that have gotten looks from European clubs.

First and foremost a trial is significant; because for most players that is the only way to get signed, so the club already has seen something. He's not just sending a dvd of his clips to a big club looking to get signed. For a club like Kaiserslautern, getting back up to B1 includes signing young talent who can develop as the club moves back up. And his upside with the Red Devils as compared to Houston is significantly better. He can still have a good career if he lands in MLS; but clearly Kaiserslautern are looking not just for a quick fix, rather a long term solution.

The reason why I brought up Stevie C is because he was so lightly regarded by US fans early in his career and thus the comparison seems extremely appropriate. In both cases there is the opportunity to find a place with a second division German side. I would hope that Beltran can follow a similar track as Steve. You're of course entitled to disagree with my assessment; but don't try and deny that there aren't similarities between the two players. Deriding such comparisons is a pretty common BS tactic.

So is passing quick judgement on young players, especially defenders, and deciding that they won't have much of a future. It's harsh, short-sighted and counter-productive. In a real development structure, talented players are given the opportunity to work on deficiencies and improve their game over the course of years, not just a few games.

10. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right because playing on a club with 11+ National Team players in a stadium packed with 48500 people against clubs like Koln, Madgladbach, 1860, Aachen, and Mainz, for a team that has a great history is not a good idea when he could play against such quality teams as Real Salt Lake and DC United.

Woodrow: A team would actually have to go back and forth to be considered a yo-yo club. Kaiserslautern has only been relegated twice (1996, 2006) and is spending only its 3rd year ever in the Bundesliga 2. Sounds like just a bad couple years to me.

Getting quality minutes in a quality league can only be good for this kid. Hopefully he can produce for the team.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether it's the 2nd Bundesliga or MLS Beltran needs that environment of professional football. He is ready to take the next step. The competitive training, the competition for a place, the coaching, the match preperation, the pressure, and the everyday regiment of professional sports is what he needs and he can get both at home and abroad. To what level he gets these is up for debate but the bottom line is to be better and to further his career he needs to move away from the college game. The seed has been planted and he does not need to stunt his growth by a return to the college game. The challenge is there and I wish Beltran well and I hope he impresses Kaiserslautern.

12. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Right. I knew Kaiserslautern had been up and down a bit of late; but I also know that Kaiserslautern. I agree with your basic point, though. Clubs with that kind of history and a strong track record are great places to start a pro career.

13. proxyone

proxyone New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Los Angeles

To me the point is that Pro coaches assess players (esp young players) differently than fans/suporters who are looking for the same heroics as developmental players. Sounds obvious, but the "BS polyannas" referred to seem to forget that and if a young player makes some bad plays or some poor decisions in a game their immediately written off, despite their youth and relative inexperience.
    But you are correct- he hasn't been signed yet. It would be a good signing to develop his potential, though.

14. philsoc

philsoc Member

Jul 11, 2000
    South Florida

Sorry - but if 1.FCK spent a dime on the plane ticket, it was ten cents too much. If they even think about signing him after he was outmatched, outclassed, outthought, outran, (should have been left out) in the u20WC 1.fck is my automatic choice for relegation.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Feel that strongly about Beltran do you? I'll admit he wasn't spectacular but we wasn't a a disaster and he didn't cost us. I could see in his play that he was a little raw and his train of thought needed to speed up but those are things that are correctable when you get into a professional environment. I'm sure he has improved those just getting that experience in the WC but he needs to further those and going back to the college game will not. As to Kaiserslautern that ridiculous to say they are relegaion favorites if Beltran signs. With or without Beltran they have a strong shot at returning to the Bundesliga.

16. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article on Beltran's training:

The gist is that they were very impressed with Beltran. They had him take some set pieces and he had a "nice curl" like Hajnal (former central midfielder who just left). He also "left a solid impression in the training as a defender."

Schjönberg refers to Hannover picking up Zizzo, who was in the position before Beltran. He is also a college player, which means they can have him for little money.

Rekdal then says if they test a player it does not mean they have to get him immediately. He could always be picked up over the winter break or next season. An association must always look ahead, with a future plan.

Sounds like they liked him, but are not sure whether to bring him on now, or wait to see what the needs are in December/January.

17. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Is the trial complete?

Not sure, the tense in your post makes it seem that it's done.

18. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your career as a talent scout will be brief. :D

19. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA

Ridiculous. Beltran played well in Canada. A big surprise to me, as he was poor leading up to the tourney and I expected him to be left off the team. Any scout paying attention in Canada would notice Beltran's work up and down the flank, his nice linking/overlapping play with Zizzo and his ability to get forward. Was he perfect? No. He was beaten at times, but it is easy to see how a scout could be interested in his potential.

20. proxyone

proxyone New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Los Angeles

Sorry, did his big brother beat you up in high school? I'm just saying. Such vitriol...

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

This is what we need to remember. Scouts are looking at potential, not exactly how good the player is now.

Tony Beltran has potential. No, he wouldn't start for Kaiserslautern right now.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Has there been any word as to whether or not Beltran has an EU passport? I always thought he was Mexican-American, based on something I was told a couple years ago, but in one of his blog postings at USSF.com, Jules Valentin referred to Beltran and Zizzo as "Italian-Americans" which, depending on when his family crossed the ocean, could mean he's eligible for an EU passport.

As for the trial, I think a good B2 team would be a great place to start and Kaiserslautern, with its huge American presence, is a great place for a Yank to start living abroad as it reduces the chances of homesickness.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still a Bruin this fall and then uses this trial to coax more money out of MLS this winter.

23. philsoc

philsoc Member

Jul 11, 2000
    South Florida

I'm sorry - but if anyone actually watched the games and thought he played more than 5 decent minutes in the whole tournament, you need to visit your eye doctor or a psychiatrist.

Almost every defensive breakdown - whether it led to a goal or not - came down his side.

No, his big brother (nor sister ;) didn't beat me up at school. I simply paid attention. He was one of the worst players on the field.

IMPRESSIVE
    Bradley, Adu, Altidore, Szetela, Zizzo

GOOD
    Seitz, Perk, Sturgis, Rogers, McCarty, Wallace

AVERAGE
    Ward, Sarkodie, Valentin, Akpan

NOT ENOUGH TO JUDGE
    Igwe, Ferrari

POOR
    Beltran

His good points - he runs, he's a bulldog
    His bad points - he can't pass, his positioning is terrible and he bites at the first move way to often, his crosses are unreliable (but you could say that about 99% of US players unfortunately.)

If you really want the US to succeed, you can't be a rose-tinted optimist, you have to actually watch what's happening. It's nice that good things are happening to US players, but it doesn't mean that every US player is good.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Ward average and Beltran worst player on the team?

Good grief, dude. I think it's best you worry about the tint of your own glasses first.

25. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, according the to Kaiserslautern he played very well and I would trust their scouting a little more than yours. They have one of the best development track record in Germany for young players. In addition, if he was as bad as you say then why did he play all 5 games?

All this is moot anyway. Kaiserslautern is looking for a young player to help on defense and in the midfield for both their first team, as a sub, and the reserve team. Currently they have only 14 licensed players healthy out 24 total. Just looking for a little insurance. I also agree that he will be back at UCLA this fall, but do not be surprised if he is in Kaiserslautern after the winter break.