Bellion fee agreed...

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by haven, Oct 16, 2003.

1. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=280514&cc=5901

Two million guaranteed? Seems high to me. I can't believe Bellion would have gone for that much on the market as bad as it is. Especially with Sunderland hurting. And in D1. And with him being completely raw.

I half-way wonder if Man Utd were worried about Sunderland's threat to sue over "tapping him up." Compared to low deals all around even at Man Utd (except for Ronaldo), this seems too much given the utility of Bellion compared to the other signings.

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've dubbed this: The Revenge of Kenyon - Part One

3. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hmmmmm ..... so Bellion is not a free transfer? And now we have to pay 2mil? I seem to recall that when Bellion was being enticed from Sunderland, they were crying foul. Didn't Kenyon also said something about any disputes regarding Bellion's move was to be decided/arbitered by the FA? I wonder why ManUtd decided not to challenge, & decided to just pay up. I know we're rich. But dumb? Oops ..... wrong question. ;)

4. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    How has Bellion been doing in the Reserves? I don't recall seeing his name on the scoresheet.

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played last night, did OK. Kenny Cooper started last night, but was subbed at half time.

Oh, and Nardiello scored the winner against Liverpool reserves....

He should get a look-in with the first team pretty soon, he's been scoring goals for fun in the reserve league...

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Man, 2mill is pricey... he is what 24? if he was much younger, yes, but at 24 and as unpollished as he is now, we might get a year or two at his peak, where he can be Ole Gunnar (comming in off bench) for a few games. I know he is fast, but I dont think he was a good buy, we dont need more players to develop. Not upfront, we needed a right now option in case of injury to Ruud.

7. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    For the past few years (save Ruud, and even he was a gamble when Manchester picked him up) the focus has not been on having the top quality striker, but instead a dominating midfield....I think even without Ruud out we would have a great team, it would just take a lot more work.

8. cinnathamby

cinnathamby New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Singapore
    actually can't really recall united having as prolific a striker as Ruud for a LONG time... ... McClair, Hughes, Cole, Sherringham, Dublin, Yorke, Solsjkaer, Forlan ... ...

9. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    Dublin only became prolific after he left United. and Forlan prolific? you feeling OK son?

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    He left on a free but given his age Sunderland were due compensation for development.

11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Forlan? what???

As for Yorke, he was alright. But after a couple decent seasons he become more prolific with scoring with the ladies than scoring goals.

12. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ

so he was still a prolific striker... on and off the field

13. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Has Bellion been injured? I don't recall seeing him in the squad since the US Tour. Maybe he wasn't eligible until a fee was agreed on.

14. cinnathamby

cinnathamby New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Singapore

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    *cough*

Leeds

*cough*

16. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    You could argue Hughsey... oh how I cried on that day when he went to Chelsea (I was like 8, give me a break!)