Bellamy Signs

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by Batcave Brigade, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Batcave Brigade

Batcave Brigade New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
  2. bchammer

bchammer New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Canada
    Have always liked him as a player. Lets hope AC can control him on and off the pitch. Maybe the other welsh players will help.
    9 goals in 42 games sure ain't good for that kind of money tho?

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us see how long it takes for him to wear out his welcome.

4. hammermolder

hammermolder New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    LA born chelmsford
    Not much reaction on here to Bellamy,suprising,i really cant make up my mind about the signing,has curbs got a strong enough personality to control him,the way Rednapp did Di Canio

5. TheNewOrleansHammer

TheNewOrleansHammer New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    New Orleans
    Look at the two seasons before that though.....

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=8952&cc=5901

And his on field 'dirty' reputation isn't really reflected in his card count either.

I'm willing to give the little bastard a chance. There were worse options out there, so lets hope he can do good job for us.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He can be a very good player, providing he is used and treated correctly. Good move for West Ham. His pace is deadly. I knew he was quick but you do not appreciate how rapid he is until you see it live.

7. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    He is a very good player. I'm going to miss him.

8. Hawaiian Hammer

Hawaiian Hammer New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Hawaii
    I give him 2 seasons tops at Upton Park, then we will be wanting to get rid of him by any means possible.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Possibly but every club has got end product from him and a good transfer fee. You might strike it lucky and find that he has matured. ;)

10. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Or you might be tempted to go to the country club for some drink and a round of golf. :eek:

11. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I agree with Teso. Provided he's happy he will be an excellent acquisition. The moment he starts moaning...hell hath no fury. Ask those girls in that nightclub in Cardiff. Or John Arne Riise.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In all fairness, Riise does have a face you would love to club.

13. lebahempat

lebahempat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Bandung, Indonesia
    still prefer carlos staying...

14. lebahempat

lebahempat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Bandung, Indonesia
    good thought... could be shorter than that though..

15. northbankbar

northbankbar New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    NZ
    I think Bellamy will do well here (if he comes). He's another Norwich boy as well isn't he?
    His time at Liverpool will have done him good. I remember seeing him playing for Newcastle at Loftus Road a few years ago. I was right behind the hoardings, so very close to his position on the pitch for a half. He got a load of stick, but seemed to take it well - having a bit of a joke with the fans - there were unfortunately no Norwegians or golf clubs close at hand to really test his restraint!

16. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  17. Nip/Tuck

Nip/Tuck New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Inferior alternative to Defoe imo.

Evidently Defoe wasn't interested (with reasons obvious) and Bellamy was the second option.

Not a bad player, not great either.

He's had one good season thus far.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Why do you say that? Defoe is exceptionally overrated. He can score some great goals but he very, very, very inconsistent. Even when Bellamy is not playing well his pace will still cause lots of problems.

19. TheNewOrleansHammer

TheNewOrleansHammer New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    New Orleans
  20. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    There is time yet for Yossi to move. Clearly he wants to go to Liverpool and RB wants him. That's all that is needed nowadays.

Picking between Bellamy and Defoe is down to opinion really. I like Defoe but let's not forget that he was no saint before leaving us. Lashing out on the pitch, etc.

Obviously Bellamy comes with some baggage too but for me I think Defoe just about edges it.

21. OrientFan

OrientFan Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Orlando/London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    your right
    Let's see how long it takes for Bellamy to start trouble at the club , just like he did at all his previous ones !

22. Nip/Tuck

Nip/Tuck New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Bellamy has a substandard goalscoring record. One standout season surrounded by many dissapointing/unproductive campaigns.

Without rushing to stats to confirm said suspicion, I'd hazard a guess to say Defoe has the superior record. (re; goals/matches)

This is without even considering the difference in age of the two.

As for Bellamy's troublesome pace?

It's becomes invalid when he's caught offside ten times a game. ;)

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Bellamy was not signed to be another striker though. He is more of an SS and would 'replace' Tevez. You already have Aston and Zamora and I assume both are staying. If Harewood leaves and possibly Cole then you will sign someone else to replace them. Bellamy was going to come into the side in additional to another striker. His goal scoring record is perfectly acceptable for the way he plays the game. Not being disrespectful but until West Ham improve the chances of them securing a striker with the type of record you would want is minimal. Even if he is caught offside he will still cause problems because the opposition know that if he breaks through just once then there is no chance in hell they will catch him.

24. Nip/Tuck

Nip/Tuck New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Whether wide left or as a SS, he'll be ineffective.

He's far better when the ball's fed to him and he's running behind defences. (even if he doesn't understand the offside rule)

1. I'm not a West Ham fan. :p

2. Zamora is pants. Ashton and Bellamy will combine well together and obviously be West Ham's first choice pairing.

An appropriate back-up is required to replace either.

Who fits such a bill?

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    While he does use his pace to get behind a defense he was commonly used as a SS for is last four clubs. Zamora is a good option to have and will stay at the club in rotation along with Ashton (hopefully he has recovered fully) and Bellamy. Considering the bid for Bent and interest in other strikers, it is clear that West Ham are targeting another player to complete their forward line. Who that could be is something I will need to think about. Apologies for mistaking your club loyalty.