Belenonsense: the further adventures of Freddy Adu

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smokarz, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Highlights of Aris' 3-0 win today, and should give you a feel of the style of play you'll mostly see from aris.

I think he is going to be a GREAT fit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs6JM1boeRY"]YouTube- Atromitos-Aris 0-3 ~5-1-10~[/ame]

I can't wait to see waht the guy Toni Calvo will be able to do with him, as he is the flashy kid with the step overs on the second goal work up play, and the guy who scores the beauty which is their first goal.

The third goal was a nice setup by the bolivian Nacho garcia who i think will also work great with Freddy and EJ.

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 goals? Sounds like they don't need EJ or Adu :)

3. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    We usually miss chances like that. We were pretty lucky to win 3-0 as Atromitos had some good chances too. They also played with 10 players for like an hour or smth.

4. DMoney22

DMoney22 Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New tweet:

@FreddyAdu11
    "Patience is a virtue..."

Anybody have any idea what's taking so long for this to become official? The reports been around for awhile, and I thought that there was a Greek article talking about how Aris faxed his reps the contract on Sunday.

5. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Freddy's hoping we get to 2,000 posts!

6. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, how would any of us know without knowing his contract? Maybe other teams are interested? It could be a million things. Remember how late the last loan deal was closed?

7. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aris FC has to release a non EU player to make room for Freddy. I think this might be the reason for the delay.

8. DMoney22

DMoney22 Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha, thanks.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, there was some talk that, like EJ's signing, Aris has to clear a non-EU spot for him. So I'm sure the club is making sure that hurdle is cleared (by transfering/releasing a player) before the deal is finalized. They could have sent him a contract beforehand with the stipulation it would not got into effect until a spot was cleared.

10. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    We can't announce Adu before Gracian leaves the team. Perhaps Adu has already signed at Aris but has to wait untill we find a solution with Gracian.

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Which is Leandro Gracian.

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What dumbfounds me is that this guy's blog is associated with the New York Times and he is using something News of the World wrote as the basis for the article. Depressing.

13. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Why?

The New York Times long ago gave up any claim to integrity or journalism. They fit right in with the likes of News of the World. (for just one example, google Jayson Blair)

14. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ? I'd love to hear this one explained.

The NY Times is one of the few newspapers in the country that still maintains journalistic standards and actually sends people out to cover the news instead of just downloading wire reports. It is fact checking that actually caught Jayson Blair's lies. A lot of media outlets report stories without checking them and some, like FoxNews, don't even care if there are any facts at all.

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its not eric wynalda. he's before my time even.

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Article? It's an obnoxious post. He's just pissed that Adu still has options including turning down a move to the PL. The biggest nonsense in it is this: "I hope he somehow catches on at Aris and succeeds, I really do..."

This about sums up the attitude of all the Freddy snarks: "Nike’s marketing has actually damaged Adu’s career to the point that just the mention of his name brings a chuckle." That chuckle is superficiality pretending to be sophistication. If Nike is part of the foundation of your attitude towards Freddy, you're the advertising-addled doofus, not the people who can tell talent when they see it.

17. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't think you understood his point....

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    just look at his credentials.............Impressive!

"My managerial experience in the game consists of currently serving as the assistant coach for a local U-17 youth club in Los Angeles, formerly serving as a head coach for a bunch of six year olds, and acting as a camp counselor during the summers at university organizing soccer games for a bunch of middle schoolers at day camp. Oh, and playing countless hours of Football (Championship) Manager".

Its like Hackworth asking Hiddink......"Do you evn know how to coach properly"

19. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Up to now, neither Abreu nor Gracian is released. At least, there's no official announcement so far.

However, since Abreu has already signed with Botafogo and Gracian didn't play in today's game, it's pretty much expected to happen tomorrow or in two days.

My information is that until Sunday all our transfer targets will have been completed, including the purchase of a central defender.

And finally, since you found this article http://www.gazzetta.gr/component/k2/item/63569...

It follows the life of Freddy Adu from his birth town Tema, Cameroon to Maryland, from his first MVP trophy in a tournament in Italy in 2002 to his contracts with DC United and Nike and from his Man Utd trials to the Benfica contract. It terminates by comparing Adu to Benjamin Button (of the recent movie): like BB was born old and every 365 days a year was removed from his age, so is Adu who was born a multi-talent and each year an aspect is removed from it.

20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Then again it is fantasy.

I'm going to answer my own question. In my search, I found numerous references to NY Times articles on the blog; but not the other way around. So, if anything, this idiot is associating, or trying to associate, himself with the Times. They probably have no clue that he is a piss ant, fantasy blog poster, who likes to read their stories.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't we get a new Freddy thread, without mention of Belenonsense at all?

He is gone from there, and was only on loan anyway.

He's now on loan to Aris FC from Benfica.

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad... I was looking at the original blog to see where he came up with Phil Brown wanting Adu and followed the link to the goal.com NYT blog which linked to the News of the World article. The goal.com NYT blogger cites the News of the World crap for Brown and Adu but he wasn't making a case for Brown wanting Adu. Instead, his article was about how Brit Press was using Altidore and Adu's tweets as source for Hull interest - and how players in general are scooping media desperate for information.

So, my apologies to the goal.com NYT blogger, Jeff Marcus, and I am no longer depressed. Now, for the original blog that linked to his, that is another matter.

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No worries. It sounds like Adu did a bit of Wag the Dog on the media.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wow, lol thats a crazy concept, but actually may ring true! Hopefully he refinds his gifted form with aris.

How long is toni calvo staying/ how long is his contract? I can imagine given his talent, La Liga sides must be wanting him! Hes spectacular!

25. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do Greek people sleep? Vampires?