beIN SPORT USA speculation thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toshiaki

toshiaki Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not three years.

Fox Soccer has the Champions League and Europa League and the FA Cup in that period. The next MLS contract cover games starting in 2015, which would be preseason games as early February 2015.

May 2013 = end of last year of current EPL contract + Champions League Final
    Feb 2015 = start of next MLS contract
    Aug 2016 = start of follow-on EPL contract

That's not even 24 months, during which Fox Soccer has other content such as the CL and FA cup.

Note: I'm not saying this is an attractive alternative to losing the EPL contract. Hell, I'm not even pimping the MLS since I have no love for it. But it's a bridge, and a viable one if they downsize costs if the EPL deal is way overpriced by BeIn. If they then lose another round of EPL contracts, then you'd likely see them toss in the towel on Fox Soccer and use their other platforms for all their World Cup content (which will run beyond just the Games).

2. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Not gonna happen, as FOX cannot afford losing expanded basic or digital basic carriage of FOX Soccer on Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, and Bright House. Rebranding FOX Soccer into FOX Sports 1 or 2 and loading it up with UFC and college sports would be a better move.

Junk such as the Turkish or Russian Leagues aren't even good enough to be on FOX Soccer Plus, yet alone FOX Soccer.

3. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Right! If the Emir wanted to go really big he would go after the WWE and their loyal 4 to 6 million fans that tune in every Monday to Raw. The sub 100k Serie A fans is small potatoes compared to the amount of peepers

May I be the first one to suggest an Emir vs. Vince McMahon 1st Humble Match w/special guest referee the Iron Sheik at the first Smackdown Taping in Doha?

drt2k3 repped this.
  4. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You've been banging the drum about beIN getting an expanded digital tier like TWC, BH, and Cablevision. What makes you think beIN can get that kind of deal considering they have nothing to bundle it with like in the case of FSC which was bundled in with a bunch of Fox properties? beIN even with the Premier League and the 7th choice ACC football game of the week is a sports pack channel waiting to happen like the NHL Network. beIN really faces an uphill climb trying to break into the US marketplace.

5. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    FOX Sports South & FOX Sports Florida currently get the 5th pick ACC Football Game via sublicense.

Anything worse than the 5th pick is not worth trading for.

Heck, anything worse than the 3rd pick ACC football game is not worth trading for, as the ACC is at best 4-deep in a typical year: Virginia Tech, Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia Tech. Miami (FL) will be down for a while due to sanctions. The 4 North Carolina schools are all too basketball-centric. Maryland is a mess. The 3 northern schools (Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt) are now mediocre in football.

A ton of leftover basketball will be available from ESPN, Inc., especially if the Big East were to stay with ESPN, Inc. for everything other than college football (which should be headed for NBC Sports Network.) ACC, Big 12, SEC, and Big East games that were syndicated or were ESPN3.com only would be trade bait. The quality of the matchup does matter, but there should be 70-80 basketball games of sufficient quality available for trade.

6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Forgot about Virginia. That makes the ACC 5-deep. 5th pick would be the absolute lower limit on what ACC football games are acceptable as trade for EPL matches.

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I have turned off matches involving Schoen and Hudson. I would stomach MLS games, which are bad, if not for the broadcasting crew. If you and the executive producer think people will turn on to watch Real Madrid and Barcelone because Chastain is working the studio, it is obvious that neither of you have a clue about football fans.

8. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Looking forward to a report from another forum about the testing on DirecTV and supposedly this person is certain beIN will be launched as a "test feed". I really hope it is going to be. 1 week till the 15th of August. Comeone DirecTV & beIN get it together.

9. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    ACC + Raycom = No Deal Howie

10. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Heard that GolTV is considering bidding on the Liga Zon Sagres rights in the U.S. I dont know how true that is, I hope it is huhe888

11. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It'll be slim pickin's on FSC Saturday afternoons this fall - you can only rerun EPL games so many times.....I guess it will sink in once the Olympics end.

12. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if i was FSC i would go after the RPL it would be a good fill in for afternoon on tape.

13. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    RPL is not even good enough for FOX Soccer Plus, yet alone FOX Soccer.

A same-day taped EPL match should draw 50,000 viewers.

An RPL match on tape may draw 5000 viewers or less.

There is a reason who so many domestic league TV products are available for $1 plus transmission cost: they can't draw flies.

FOX Soccer has the right formula in 2012-2013: EPL, EPL, EPL. Nothing else but EPL on weekends with the exception of college soccer during the autumn as time buys.

If FOX Soccer were to lose EPL after May 2013, not a problem at all. Hand the channel over to George Greenberg, rename it FOX Sports 1 or 2, and load it up with UFC, college sports, boxing, and beauty pageants. The channel will jump from 41 million subscribers to 60 million subscribers in 6 months. That will be the best thing to happen to the channel EVER. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, and CONCACAF Champions League can still air on the channel.

Don't lose sight of the big picture: get the int'l soccer products that can draw 300,000 viewers or more onto channels that are available on digital basic or above.

The sports tier is where niche sports TV channel die a slow death.

Any channel that has college sports, no matter how poor, gets on DIRECTV Choice Xtra, including CBS Sports Network, which is as bad a college sports channel as you can find with junk such as Conference USA and Mountain West. That "junk" is still better that the dead air after 7pm ET on FOX Soccer, GOLTV, and beIN SPORT 1 USA.

Programming a U.S TV channel with 100% soccer with no live events after 7pm Eastern Time that is capable of drawing 200000 viewers is NOT the way, as we have seen with FOX Soccer, which is a complete waste of bandwidth during evening prime time and is considered a joke by many local cable TV franchise managers.

(That is lesson that Youssef has apparently refused to learn, now that he and Antonio still doesn't have a deal with a single MSO to carry beIN SPORT 1 USA 7 days before its launch date.)

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Portuguese league will draw less than 10000 U.S. viewers per match on GOLTV, so it really doesn't matter to the big picture.

DIRECTV is waiting for the MEDIAPRO-PRISA TV war to resolve itself.

If GOLTV were to lose La Liga completely, then there is no reason for DIRECTV to keep GOLTV on the sports tier.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Raycom is a regional syndicator of college basketball. It isn't worth much if anything in the big picture anymore with ACC's new deal which cuts down the influence of the North Carolina triangle. The sheik can buy Raycom with the passive income he earns while he sleeps overnight for the purpose of punting it out of the way.

16. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a man of simple pleasures. One of those is getting up early to watch Serie A on Sundays while my house is actually quiet. Maybe I'll start sleeping in.

17. Shane70

Shane70 New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Directv is now testing BeINHD at channel 9620

18. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Agreement reached with directv Testing started this morning... The Sheik threw crazy money at directv that they couldn't refuse... And in HD

Cantona---

19. mws192

mws192 New Member

Aug 8, 2012
  20. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I expect this to change... This was a last minute addition... It should be full time, and a slap in the face to Fox Soccer Plus,

Cantona---

21. mws192

mws192 New Member

Aug 8, 2012
  22. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    What is it I hear about bein taking the channel goltv has on directtv? Is goltv out then?

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the big teams sure, but you're not going to get 50,000 viewers watching Reading vs Southampton, Stoke vs Swansea etc. on tape delay.

24. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that Sixto doesn't scan the Spanish language sats, so it's not an indicator that BeIN2 won't be added.