Beijing Olympic U-23 Sqaure

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Shaster, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Sorry to open this early. In other thread to discuss which college players would good for this, I am kind of get lost because without knowing which holes we need college players to plug in.

So the U-23 is an exculsive U-23 games now (no more overage players), and the cut off age is at 1985.

I would try to find out pro rank players for the spot now:

Goalkeeper--Westberg. 1 Goalkeeper may have to come from college.

Defenders--Spector, Ward, Besagno, Freeman, Flores. Someone from a good 2006 MLS drift may show up.

Midfielders--Adu, Alvarez, Bradley, Capano, Feilhaber, Gaven, Gonzales, Jumenez, John, Kirk, Lopez, Szetela. Also someone may turn pro this year, like Nguyen, etc.

Forwards--Ochoa, Smith, Barrett, and Watson.

Looks midfield is VERY strong this time compare with last time. Last time, when Clark is hurt, our midfield is hurting even though Donovan, Beasley and Convey are there. Now we have Feilhaber, Bradley, and Szetela on holding/distribution role, and have Adu, Govan, Capano, Lopez, Gonzales in playmaking role. Plus the wing of Alvarez, Jumene, John and Kirk are not too bad.

So as usual, defense will be our problem again, but if Sturgis, Ianni, and Wynne can get in pro quick and have some experiences, we may resolve that problem.

2. congo2

congo2 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    watson? :confused:

Only if ellinger is coaching.

3. phishnchipz

phishnchipz Member

Jul 22, 2004
    kljestan for midfield? he's supposed to turn pro this year. he needs some more time to adjust to top-level pace and athleticism, but he's the most tactically-savvy player i've seen in college this year.

4. Shaster

Shaster Member

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    He is in the age group. No matter who is coaching if he can finish, he will have a chance.

5. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    :confused: Not sure what this means. He was a regular with Rongen's U20.

6. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    he scored a few for RSL which is saying something. He'll be in the mix.