before you go out and buy the iPod nano

Discussion in 'Technology' started by metro24freak, Sep 26, 2005.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great that you're happy. But I wasn't questioning your happiness, just your claim that there is no inexpensive Mac.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, the IPOD is really dragging Apple down.

:rolleyes:

3. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    oh jeff is happy as long as he can say "linux"

he tends to whine too much about others' success and all he says is because they have better marketing strategy than stupid lanax whatever piece of ********.

4. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    i just saw an ipad nona at an appal store in chicago suburb. it looked horrible. i will never going to buy that kind of crap. ipoad mani looked much nicer but they're gone now. i have no idea what's in appal's mind and learned it's safe to stick with Windows®.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dollar signs.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still really like my iPod Nano.

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Does anyone actually buy a $300 Dell? I mean they always price them cheaply but when you end up buying everything you want, it ends up being way more than you expected. For example, I bought a Powerbook that was more than I really wanted to spend at over 2k, but my girlfriend shortly thereafter bought a Vaio that was not as expensive, but still over 2K. Also, the E-macs and I-macs don't seem way overpriced to me.

All the accessories do seem pricey, but for the I-pod, you don't have to go with Mac accessories, but after buying $40 worth of replacement headphones that sounded like crap and broke after a month or so, I wish I had bought mac headphones. Instead, I bought a Shuffle to replace my headphones and the Shuffle seems like a pretty good value to me. There is some truth to the adage "you get what you pay for".

Furthermore, I've had tons of trouble with Dell support but never had problems with my Mac products to need support (knock wood).

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dell's reputation as a low-price seller is fading. They have a good number of minimalist systems that are priced very low, but their mid-range and high-end power systems are no better priced than most other companies. For high-end systems (commercially available) Alienware (for media centers/gaming), Vaio (media center/pc), and Macs are pretty much your best bet.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Sorry to drag this out even further, but I just priced a Dell laptop vis-a-vis the 15" Powerbook G4 and the cost was only $200 more for the Mac.

Sachin

10. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
  11. Fleetwood Mac #1

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    I would include mid-range to their low-priced systems. People often forget that most other companies either don't offer free monitors or even if some do they don't have as many 'free flat panel upgrade' sales as Dell does (seems almost every other week). Also, it's often cheaper to add stuff (more memory, hard drive etc.) when customizing for dell products than other brands. High end systems seem to have the least gap in price.

12. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    i would price..

ipod shuffle $19
    ipod nano $49
    ipod $149

mac mini the cheapest one $249

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why you're not in charge of pricing.

The HD within the iPod nano costs $99. yeah, let's loose massive amounts of money. That's some good thinking.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    For you, that $200 may not matter. BUt for a business that's buying a 100 machines, that all adds up.

And have fun with your Macs in a couple weeks while I'm playing Civ4 and you folks are waiting! :D

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely! Thanks Dante!

I now have one... an iPod Nano... cool is all I can say! I was leery about the almost credit card size and thinness but it seems worth it once you have one in your hands and they seem just as durable as their bigger brothers! It seems worth the $212.00 total (cost plus tax)! You can buy a warranty with it if you are nervous... other companies also sell warranties for it.

16. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    who cares?

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm not sure what you're refering to. The Nano doesn't have a hard drive. It uses some new Flash memory from Samsung.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was referring to, the flash drive in the nano.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Fleetwood Mac #1

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Make that more than 3 years (for archos). Apple is way too late on this.

22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the 30 people with archos really love it.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those portable video players really haven't caught on and I don't see them catching on either. I hope it's not a video iPod because the demand isn't out there.

Apple can always surprise use though and form some sort of video store along the lines of the iTunes music store. If we could get movies that people can purchase and download online that are a good quality then I think we might see more people use the portbale video players. Until then I don't see much of a use for them, although if the viPod had jacks that you could plug into a tv and watch I'd be interested in it.

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think the idea of a portable video player has nearly the same appeal. You can't really use it in the car or while working out. Also movies tend not to have the same kind of replay value as music.

Dunno, I've been wrong before though.

25. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The portable video player market is going to be cornered by the PSP, you can already play movies and games on it. It's just a matter of time before you'll be able to transfer movie files to it from your PC.