Before or After Abramovich

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by garethchelsea, Jun 12, 2007.

1. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have you supported Chelsea for long enough to say your not a glory hunter because i have supported them since i was like 4 or somehting as my uncle would dress me up in little chelsea shirts and stuff

2. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Doubt you'll see too many people admitting to latching on after the takeover. I was ahead of it, but only by a couple of years. That's when I first had cable and the ability to watch English soccer on TV. Chelsea became my team as they were playing by far the most entertaining football at that time in my eyes.

3. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's my story, just slightly altered at the end. I started supporting in 2002.

4. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
  5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Seen Chelsea play before that, but didn't chose a particular team to support.

6. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    So just how many Gooners, Mancs, and Scousers are going to come in here and try to throw the poll?

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's why polls shoul dbe public.

Turn of the millenium for me. Zola and an Arse fan made the choice easy.

9. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    had always been a big fan of Vialli and when he came to Chelsea i jumped at the chance to support an English team not named Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U.

10. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    :eek:

late 80's myself....

11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Need to change this to pre- or post-Hoddle (1993). That's when the revolution really began.

Matt Harding had a lot to do with it with the extra cash to put us over the top after Bates had taken us from bankruptcy to financial respectability (though not absolute security).

Any CPO's out there? Remember the Save the Bridge campaign?

This was an easy team to support when Zola was on the books from 1996. Not so easy when Casca was lacing his boots up and even that felt good compared to the wasteland of the 80's.

1984/85 season - remember helping my Dad keep his scrapbook.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Remember when the greyhound track re-opened to races?

That was when I became a regular, although they were 'my team' for some years before that.

13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Cacarino? Wow, sometimes its easy to forget the shyte we had playing for us. Just want to throw in Joe Allon and Alan Mayes for fun as well.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    It always amazed me that the firms seemed to have no problem navigating the river of mud surrounding the pitch when there was some aggro...

those hooligans looked like they were on ice skates.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Got bad as early as November sometimes eh?

Once the rains started late fall, that was it, the pitch never recovered, although, I used to hang about the small brick wall that seperated the east and shed end - solid back support and sound footing ;)

16. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    always made me laugh when people used to moan about "not having any real footballers in the side". Would you want to play on that fecking quagmire week in and week out? Dont think so. I am personally amazed that Pat Nevin stuck around so long. The pitch really got bad in the early to mid 80s, absolutely shocking.

17. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Since I was in the womb. Generations 0f Chelsea fans - with all Uncles and cousins supporting Chelsea, well all excpet one little guttersnipe who supports Millwall and nobody in the family speaks to him.

18. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I remember a game with Norwich - last game of the season - English summer time and puddles all over the pitch, with Nevin dancing around a ball floating on a large puddle. The players needed snorkels that day.

19. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    LOL

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    It had it's upside - to coin an American saying - as it made players past their prime look decent.

Hollins at right full for instance, anybody trying to get past him with speed was wasting their time if they wanted to take the ball with them, he'd simply jog back a yard or two, wait for the muck to slow the ball and clatter the little prat into the track :D

How about Colin lee when he was taken from forward and put in defense - right full again wasn't it? - when we bought Speedie?
    He looked alright as long as the pitch was dire.

Nevin bombing down the field on the outside of the line because the ground was firmer :D

21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great days - when you could roll a ball towards an empty net only to have it stop 6 inches shy of the line because of the mud.

Remember when we used to have cars parked between the Shed and the goal?

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    keeping in mind that there were no too many other pitches known to be putting greens- if you like

there was a good reason we were so shyte up Norf

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    speaking of mud and Nevin

anyone else remember the worst penalty ever?

24. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Handicap vans weren't they, mainly for the young uns.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Wee Pat against man City?