Been to the website today?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Honore de Ballsac, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    We're one month out and there's just about zero soccer on sjearthquakes.com.

Juust sellin' stuff.

"The Centerline Report" is just one of four featured stories - and really the only one about our soccer team and how they're doing. And amusingly, the whole angle of that article is the importance of off-field conduct, character, academic performance etc.

One could almost get the impression this organization doesn't grasp, isn't that into, actual soccer. Or really trying to sell that. You know, talent, competition...

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They leave that stuff to BigSoccer. Saves money.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, to be fair, the "content" area has been significantly reduced, so as to accommodate the large "impact" graphics on either side. I may not have learned much about the team, but I feel much more impactful somehow after my visit nonetheless. :--)

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  4. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are a fair number who feel more "impacted" so to speak, by the FO lately... ;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Well hopefully they read this. Then again, I'm surprised the FO validating shout down to this thread has yet to arrive.

6. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Guess I can understand some sacrifices being made to professional design. That our site is looks like the work of a circa 1998 Angelfire hobbyist and makes me throw up in my mouth is probably an intentionally retro/honoring our heritage thing. Kudos, Quakes.

7. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought you were over exaggerating, but I just visited the site and you are absolutely right. I'm surprised they didn't use frames with scroll bars. Why not just use the Oakland A's web guy? Or is that built by MLB?

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A lot of the website design is dictated by the constraints of the MLS over-arching design. All of the MLS team websites are crap.

evade6317, markmcf8 and athletics68 repped this.
  9. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong, just the Quakes.

:laugh:

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That would surely be the BS-Earthquakes Board opinion! ;)

11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    You can look at Toronto and Portland's sites to see it's not so hard to use MLS's template to make (IMHO) a decent looking site. Keep those borders dark and simple, not busy with wingdings.

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You guys complain about the dumbest shit. Toronto's looks like ours, but red.

athletics68, sjquakes08 and Earthshaker repped this.
  13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Look for yourselves people. There's very little red on the TFC site till you scroll down. We have almost as much red on ours now. And they have more soccer content. And of course, better news... more to crow about in their preseason.

But you did make me laugh, since this is relatively dumb shit to complain about. Then again, our club seems to have been focusing our attention on design and collateral lately...

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
  15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    [​IMG]
    The new improved Quakes.

Don't think it makes a difference? Again I wouldn't care if there was more interest in/reporting on our actual soccer.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, browsing on a tablet, all I see are different colors on three uniform MLS sites. Portland's top news has them pimping GoPro, some data procssing and their new stadium sponsor. Toronto is pushing media day, their TV schedule and season tickets. This greatly differs from the Quakes how?

17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Really?? Look at TFC's media day story! And they've got a game report up top.

18. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole site is BS.

QuietType and krudmonk repped this.
  19. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha looks like a 1000 year old egg!

sacrxy repped this.
  20. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mmm.....delicious.

21. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is kind of how I felt with the 2012 "surprise gift" DVD for STH's. It was a nice gesture, but the people who cut the video for Wondo's 27 clearly weren't soccer people at ALL. Some of those goals were beautiful because of the build-up but all they showed was the final tap-in-- for pretty much every one of them. Completely took the context out of a lot of them. I was so excited to watch the clip, and so disappointed after.

Sorry if somebody on here is the one who did it or somebody knows them, this is just really how I felt about it the video. If it actually was done by some expert in the field who's done a million soccer highlight reels feel free to correct me.

Quakesss repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

leocal and DotMPP repped this.
  23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not a great template and it looks as though all the teams struggle with it. I bet there are team web designers all around the country complaining.

And...you pretty much visit the site for a few reasons, and, having flipped through most of the pages, DCU is the only club I've seen so far that gets it. They played with the nav bar so that the four reasons you typically stop by the site -- News, Tickets, Schedule, Roster -- are prominent. I'm surprised no one else has taken a cue from them. The nav bars are so garbaged up that everything starts to blur together.

The format is way too rigid is the crux of the problem. The sites would be way better if MLS backed off and allowed the teams to personalize their sites a lot more.

24. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Single entity!