Beeb on Howard: Scapegoat

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mschofield, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Please feel free to open a thread/poll to ask whether Howard misplayed the ball or not. Granted you may receive many bias responses like mine. Nothing more to see or respond to here.

2. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    That's okay, I don't feel the need to start a poll on this. A dropped ball is a dropped ball. At least to me it is.

3. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The fact is howards own play got him on the bench....and it is his play ( when/if he gets the chance) that will get him off it...

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Except I didn't and haven't said Howard sucks, just that he's made mistakes that others seem to have difficulty coming to terms with. Perhaps, one day, we can read a thread on Howard that does not break down to people trying to blame everyone but Howard for his mistakes?

5. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Then you've got to start coming on here and giving due credit to those yanks that performed well. You see that's the problem with you M. No love for those performing, only hating on those that aren't.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Why is that a problem, as long as what he says is accurate?

7. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Because if, for instance, a guy has a really good game for the most part, but makes one mistake, someone who talks only about the negatives will leave the impression to the neutral observer that the person had a "bad" game. Same exact thing applies the other way around.

Would you like it if all of the pro-YA's came on here and would only talk about what our guys did that was good, and refused to talk about bad facts.

I propose as an experiment, we have 2 threads--Tim Howard S*cks and Tim Howard Rocks. All the folks who are going to be posting positives go to one thread, all the people who will be saying negative stuff go to the other. If it works out, we can extend it and have 2 forums: YA+ and YA-. :D

See where overwork and lack of sleep leaves me...G'night (dozes off in midsen..........

8. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    This happens all the time here. That's why I don't really mind if someone (including M) comes here and points out the bad facts (as long as that person does not do so in an inflammatory manner). We can each decide whether the good outweighs the bad.

9. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you have a problem with others having a problem with it?

It's called half-truth and spin. I don't know why M gets his jollies coming here to bag on American players, but he does. If it works for you, great. Enjoy.

IMO it's lame to blame one-goal losses on one player out of eleven, regardless of whether that player made a mistake on the goal.

Did the keeper bobble the shot? Were defenders possibly to blame for letting the shot off uncontested? Did someone's foul give away a fatal set piece preceding the shot? Should the attack have been able to produce another goal, or even one to start with? It's a team sport, win or lose.

10. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    With due respect Richard, WTF? You are comparing two completely different situations.

The Enlgand Brazil game was a match where the rest of the England team was playing great whereas in the game in Lyon Manchester's defense was basically letting Lyon practice blasting shots on goal in the first half. Howard actually had two great saves in the first half, one a 1v1 to stop Wiltord-the first half could have been much uglier for Manchester.
    Thanks Richard, and despite someone claiming this part was an awesome post, it really has absolutely nothing with the particular play in question (CL game)

Bobbling a ball to give up the first goal (in the first half) in a 4 goal game cannot amount to be the decisive point in the match. Too many other factors.

Yes, it was a horrible mistake, I agree, but it did not prevent Manchester from winning the game. Nevertheless, that won't stop people from blaming it on him.

I prefer to blame the loss (of points) on John O'Shea who practically gave the ball to Wiltord who then had a free path to the goal, eventually dishing it off to Frau who had an open net. See, that was the SECOND goal. Had Lyon not scored that one, Manchester would have won.

11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And of course that never happens around here. :rolleyes:

12. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    My point exactly. Bias is bad both ways.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but given what this is and where this is, only one kind of stupid bias is rude and annoying.

It's like this. Peddling bizarre lefty conspiracy theories is funny in the comments at atrios, it's rude and trolling at littlegreenfootballs.

14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    If by this you mean that coming on to a Yanks Abroad Board and talking *only* about how all the Yanks are crap, that does seem rather trollish. There are more people on these boards who are overly glowing (and some outright one-sided) about YA's than there are M's, but that might be a little bit more expected. Do people go on to the Koreans Abroad thread and talk about how all the Koreans are crap?

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    So what exactly is this? I'm intrigued.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Let me put it this way, anytime an individual poster becomes a frequent topic of a discussion, it's a red flag for trolling behavior.

Thread closed.