Bedoya is the REAL DEAL!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Captain10, Jan 26, 2010.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't he have a brother or cousin that used to come on and give Bullcrap updates on his progress?

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vietnam League Superstar..... :rolleyes:

3. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    regardless of what happens to or with the guy, he certainly did what a player in his position should do--he went out there and made a case for himself, he made a statement with his minutes. he was aggressive about showing for the ball. he reminded me a bit of Holden, had a bit of that warrior in him, playing very hard on both sides of the ball, moving pretty well with and without the ball and making sensible touches.

it was enough to want to see more of what he can do. at the very least it was that. too early to say if it was more, but it was encouraging. it would be great to see more young guys do this with their minutes.

4. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    True.

However, I didn't get excited about Sasha,Torres, Castillo, Holden, Findley or a bunch others. Holden pique my interest a bit. But Torres and Castillo look like little boys out there. I was excited about Charlie Davies from his performance in the Olympics.

So based on my completely infallible judgement, yes Bedoya is the real deal because I was similarly excited about Davies and Dempsey. :D

I disagree about giving Benny more time. At this point, we know we he can and can't do, and he doesn't seem to have added--or lost--anything.

There is no point in him starting against Holland.

5. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the thing that shocked all of us was the fact it was like he gave up. Against China the ball skills were rather impressive; but then nothing at PSV and a rather weak proformance at Randers. (For those who don't know Randers did produce a talent known as Djiby Fall) So he decides to high tale it to Vietnam to gain citizenship and be a regular for their national team. Sadly this has not worked out either.

6. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shenanigans. You got a link to back up that claim?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes.

The same as Vincenzo Bernardo over the past two years. Posters (friends, family, agents) coming on the boards to tell us all how the kid was the second coming of del Piero. So many of us started to believe the artificial hype.........and were astonished when Rongen didn't put him on the U20 World Cup team. Of course, now Vincenzo is where? Trying to latch on with MLS? Just like when Philipakos tried to latch on the Red Bulls.............but when he showed up.........he was reportedly unfit and "didn't show well." If you're not good enough for the 2007 New York Red Bulls..........ahem........that's not so good.

I hope Bedoya is really good. But I have absolutely no idea..............
    I haven't seen remotely enough of him to make any semblance of a determination. But he was a good college player if I recall........being nominated for the Hermann Trophy. And he's a regular for a mid-table Swedish team. so I have every hope that he can take "the next step."

(To be fair..........maybe Vincenzo will too. I'm not a talent scout.)

8. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk to fellow Hoosiers who have the same thought process. Plus I don't know how to type Vietnimese characters to get into their newspapers.

9. StarSpangledCannon

Aug 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hahaha, slow your roll man. Lets take some time and evaluate him on more than a 30 min. cameo vs. a second string Honduras. He may indeed be some prodigy, but I doubt it bc he would have signed for a big European team by now. He still may yet, but lets take things slow and not heap too much pressure on the kid.

10. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems highly unlikely to me is all. If you're getting it from Vietnamese papers via a translator (friend) then I accept that it exists, but it sure sounds a lot like 'gossip rag' material to me.

If I recall correctly, he wouldn't be eligible for Vietnam anyway if he didn't already have Vietnamese citizenship before he represented the U.S. That's one of the disqualifiers under the new rules.

BACK TO BEDOYA: Anyone know if he's back in Sweden training with his club? Or if he'd be available for the friendly with the Sallies?

11. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're way off. Davies signed with Hammarby, a non-major club in Sweden, then with Sochaux, again not a heavy, in France, after 2 seasons in Stockholm.

Who says that Bedoya won't go from Orebro to a "big European team" in a similar way?

If Holden is the only depth for a position that is tied up by an injured player, putting Bedoya on the fast track would not be dumb.

12. Nandez

Nandez New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya should start against El salvador

13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sorry. But this is bullshit. There were two people clamoring for his call up. Thrylos (his relative), and Sidefootsitter (who would call up a college kid with a Eurorail pass if he was somewhere in Europe when he put together a roster).

14. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I really never fall for "New guy disease". The only time I recall really falling for the new guy was the brief excitement over Herculez Gomez. There are others, like Victorine, Thorrington, and a current YA, Marco Vidal, who I have always liked and still like as players, but I know they aren't getting on any World Cup team. (As much as I want Vidal to get a cap, I know he has no shot of breaking that US midfield in the World Cup. I just want him to get a cap because I like the way he plays)

I think Danny Szetela got ALL of us. And I was all about Lee Ngyuen until he never appeared again. And I also think we were all fooled by Marvell Wynne. As for Philipakos, I was clamoring to cap him if he got regular minutes with his club. He never did, so the Philipakos fans went by the wayside, like Gabe Ferrari fans. Or Vincenzo Bernardo fans..

...And let us not forget the humor of Grover Gibson.

Sometimes, however, when I latch onto the new guy time has a way of proving me right. Rogers, for one. Maurice Edu as well. And I was always a fan of Conor Casey. He was solid in Germany, and he's solid for us now. He's basically the next Joe-Max Moore, and I've always liked guys like that. I was also a big fan of Subotic, Rossi, and Soumare, who all became great players for other countries. I still support Freddy Adu and Micheal Orozco, I think eventually those guys will be solid players for the US, but not now. And I think Torres is the best two way mid the USA has. Two years ago, everybody rated Kljestan miles higher than Torres and I really couldn't see why. How time changes all.

As for Bedoya, I think this kid is the real deal. No, he's not automatically waltzing in on the 2010 squad- He'll have to do far more to do that, but this kid is in the serious mix for 2014.

15. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They replayed the Honduras game on FSC and I watched more carefully when Bedoya came on. Technically, he was strong. He displayed a good first touch and weighted his passes perfectly.

He still has some work in terms of tactics. He did not show to the ball particularly well, and sat still too often after making a pass. I did not see game opening vision on his passing. He kept it simple, which is no sin in itself.

Physically, he is average. He looked big and strong, but not particularly fast. I say that as someone who far prefers a soccer player over an athlete.

Overall, to me it looked like Bedoya came in at a time when Honduras had backed off midfield pressure, and he may have shown more brightly as a result. I think he is worth more time, but think this thread trends towards hyperbolic.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If Adu plays for the rest of the season like he did for Aris today..............then the last midfield slot on my 23 is wrapped up. He'd take the left-mid slot that's seemingly open from guys like Rogers and Bedoya.

Bedoya might start against El Salvador, but his chances of making the world cup roster are pretty low.

17. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a nice lob to EJ and a too hard cross/shot that should have been a game winner? He has to play a while and I am hoping in devlopes some defense in the league.

18. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the key, rest of the season. Adu has to consistently play well throughout February just to get a look against Holland. Bedoya has already played well this season, and is going to get another look in February. There, the best player wins.

Rogers, in my opinion, is the man who really needs to step up. He's the one who doesn't seem hungry for a ticket to South Africa.

19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

They are not competing with each other. Why cant both Adu and Bedoya be on the Holland squad if they both are doing well?

The only way it wont happen is if these guys appear again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about bedoya's versatility- is he purely a MF? i don't think any more Center-mid options are needed but if his outside play is complimented by some fine defense then i would think his chances for this year improve slightly...

21. house

house Member

Dec 27, 1998
    Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There aren't enough games for Bedoya to earn a spot on the team, and Captain10-ing him would be a huge leap of faith.

Can't see it. Maybe if there are some more injuries (heaven forbid) BB will consider it. But I just don't see it.

22. Fajkus Rules

Fajkus Rules Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lake Zurich, IL
    2 things -

#1. Players who will make an impact at the WC level don't need 2 years and 20 caps before we can see their talent. A natural talent like Donovan showed above average skills at a young age. An overachiever like Michael Bradley takes more time to reach his peak. The fact that he hasn't been a "name" player since 16 or 17 tells me that he's more of an overachiever than a natural prodigy.

Torres cut his own nuts off with his disasterous defensive performance vs. Costa Rica last year. You can take him, Adu, Casey and anybody else who won't play aggressive defense and drop them from the pool right now. If Bedoya is WC 2010 caliber, he's already displaying those skills in practice now.

#2. I think you'll find that a player like Chris Rolfe will show up in the pool this spring (or someone else with a really high work rate) as one of our top reserves. Our only hope to succeed in SA is to outpressure and outhustle teams with better basic skills than us. If Bedoya has that type of work rate, then I think he has a chance. If not, mark him for 2014.

Jozy needs to get a tape/DVD/Tivo of Rooney's highlights. He and anyone else playing up top this summer need to have a work rate that is in the same league as Rooney.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They could.............but I'd imagine our left mids in that game will be Beasley and Adu. And just being in the squad for the Holland game isn't enough for Bedoya.

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You are selling Bradley short. If you go to Europe at 17 as a central midfielder and have significant playing time within a couple years, you are not an "overachiever."

But that is not the thread topic.

25. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Suprised this wasn't posted yet.