Bedoya: "Congress, Do Something Now, End Gun Violence"

Discussion in 'San Jose OT' started by don gagliardi, Aug 5, 2019.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portion of my post on the August 19 news thread on MLS N&A re the Timbers Army statement:

I'm opposed to the political speech ban from MLS. It is ridiculously vague. On its face, it would not withstand judicial scrutiny if implemented by the government. My opposition is content-neutral, unlike the Timbers' Army's unworkable standard seemingly favoring allowing speech they like and shrugging at disallowing the rest. How convenient. The correct liberal position is: I-don't-like-what-you-say-but-I'll-defend-your-right-to-say-it.

I'm also opposed to the arbitrary enforcement of the policy, as implemented by MLS. The policy, as stated, does not allow for fan misconduct classes at $250 per pop for first offenses for allegedly political banners. It also does not allow for demanding apologies, period. Yet, reportedly, that is what Atlanta fans were subjected to -- being made to apologize for Wrong Think and made to attend re-education camp. MLS' enforcement of its policy in Atlanta was, if reports are to be believed, plainly arbitrary and capricious.

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So t-shirts are ok?

I don’t really have a stand either way on the banners.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not if you're standing with the Ultras after the Quakes score. :)

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    . . . This is a direct, viewpoint-based attack on the freedom of association of private citizens. It’s a retaliatory public attack on constitutionally protected speech. It flies in the face of recent California federal court precedent. And today, the NRA filed a lawsuit to block its enforcement.

San Francisco’s action represents a dangerous, unconstitutional escalation of a debate that is already extraordinarily fraught and divisive. By labeling law-abiding political opponents criminal and enforcing state sanctions on that basis, San Francisco is taking the path of the banana republic. It’s blasting apart “norms” and violating fundamental American values even as many of its citizens no doubt fret about authoritarianism on the right.

Yet “authoritarianism for me, but not for thee” isn’t a sustainable governing philosophy. It’s recipe for deepening polarization, reprisals from illiberal leaders on the opposing side, and further degradation of our shared commitment to constitutional governance. Simply put, San Francisco’s resolution is dangerous to our democracy . . . [Emphasis added].

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/09/san-francisco-designates-nra-domestic-terrorist-organization/

Both MLS and its Woke supporters types would benefit from heeding the bolded admonition. And "banana republic" is a fairly apt description of how MLS operates on all fronts.