Becks In Line For A Knighthood?

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by TomClare, May 31, 2007.

1. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LONDON (AFP) - Officials in Britain are wrangling over whether former England football captain David Beckham should be given a knighthood, London's Evening Standard reported Thursday.

Civil servants have been asked to consider whether he is suitable for the top honour, awarded by Queen Elizabeth II, but some have argued that he should not be made Sir David because he is moving to play in the United States, the paper said.

"His name has been put forward but there is a view among some officials that it should not be approved while there is a conflict between his future as an England player and his contract with an American club," an unnamed source told the paper.

"Some officials feel that there is nothing wrong with honouring a player who is based in Europe and free to represent his country if required, but feel there is a big difference if the same player is earning his main income and paying tax in the United States and unable to play for England."

But a spokewoman for the Cabinet Office, which coordinates policy across departments, denied that such discussions had taken place and said that civil servants could not put the brakes on a nomination.

Beckham, 32, has just earned a recall to the England squad and is due to move from Real Madrid to LA Galaxy in Los Angeles in August

His new club is reportedly concerned that his resurrected England career could clash with his commitments to them, hinting that he may not be released for non-competitive games.

He was awarded the lower OBE (Order of the British Empire) award in 2003 and could see that upgraded to a knighthood within a few months, either in premier Tony Blair's resignation honours list or the queen's birthday honours list.

As well as his footballing success, his claims for the top award are bolstered by his charity work and role in helping to secure the 2012 Olympics for London.

His wife, former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, who would become Lady Victoria if her husband was honoured, told the BBC last year: "It's just so camp, it's wonderful isn't it? Lady Victoria...that would be quite amazing."

Downing Street has refused to comment on the story, while royal officials never comment on likely recipients of gongs in advance.

2. United Pumps

United Pumps New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    come from?
    I've seen some pretty stupid posts today but this takes the biscuit.

3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hope you aren't insulting TomClare. The guy is the most respected poster around this board at least, and an author of many great United-related materials.

To be honest, there are probably quite a few knighted people who have done less than Becks, so good for him. Why not?

4. United Pumps

United Pumps New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    come from?
    No slant towards the poster at all. Just the content. I could go into it but it'd kick off a very un-United related political debate. Beckham is a prat, btw.

5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not versed in the politics behind knighthood and the such, so I'll defer that to you. But I happen to think that Beckham was one of the top players, in terms of skill but just as much as in terms of commitment, that have been at this club. So I'd have no prob with this.

6. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    They're irrelevant anyway now, no one really cares.

7. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    If England won WC2006, I'd be all for it. If England wins Euro 2008 and Becks plays a role in it, I'd also be all for it. But what are they basing it on? His humanitarian efforts? :confused:

8. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly certain Sir Anthony Hopkins had lived and worked in the US for a couple of decades before being knighted in the 90s. And the article is ambiguous -- unnamed civil servants are being asked (passive voice) by someone, but apparently not the Cabinet Office, which denied any of this conversation occurred.

Beckham sells papers: I think that's about the entire story on this one. :)

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Becks In Line For A Knighthood? [​IMG]

Oh God, it's serious. Why bring us this news Tom, why? :(

10. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I would give it to him, but not yet, only when he retires.

And besides his great footballing accomplishments, Beckham is also an ambassador and several other things, so Sir David it is!

11. United Pumps

United Pumps New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    come from?
    Marvellous. Let us all drink tea and scones on the lawn and invade some uncivilised African countries who are armed with only pointy sticks.

Yes, it sounds like a brilliant day out.

Ah, have you heard about David Beckham?

Yes, he's going to become a knight of the British Empire I heard.

Quite so, dear chap. I can think of no priveledge higher than to be named as a knight of our majestic Empire. Rule Britannia! God save the Queen!

12. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    If Beckham deserves a knighthood Ryan Giggs deserves a peerage.

13. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    To be fair, no one has done more for the promotion of English football in the last decade than Beckham. Would the league be anywhere close to as profitable and popular around the world as it is today if it weren't for him? I think not.

14. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Well Jack Ryan was knighted and he's a yank so this bologna about Becks living in the States doesn't make much sense. :D

15. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    LOL

:dead:

knight paul mcartney or someone

16. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Utter rot.

17. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I don't know what that means.

18. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Red Jeph acutally made a good point .. the worldwide appeal of Beckham (and in turn, England as a country, Manchester United, even Real Madrid) being used in good ways (as it is), and the plain fact he is not an wanker, and is a model professional and has high values of sportsmanship make him a natural in this media fueled day and age candidate.

I think, over three years, he has made Real over $200million (other sources quote it at $300million) dollars, mainly because of his influence over the Asian market .. that type of individualist influence is something to be considered.