Becks appeal?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by gyr0, Dec 1, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Ok, so it seems the Galaxy finally won one down under. While it is clear most of the crowd packed in to see Beckham, my question is why?

On the pitch, he lacks the skill and speed of a world class player, with only his freekick being truly exceptional, nor does he seemingly possess terrific wit or charisma-- and yet he is a worldwide star.

Sure, he is a great looking guy, but my question to you as a sports fan is: what qualities about David Beckham sell you on soccer? What is "Becks" appeal?

2. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Ink addiction?

3. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    Beckham's just a "nice guy", he's much more accessible and modest than any other celebrity I can think of

4. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    marketing genius

5. miguel9

miguel9 Member

May 1, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I guess everybody has there own reasons for why Beckham appeals to them, I became a fan of his last season watching him in helping Real Madrid win La Liga. His skill is captivating, the accuracy and his vision appeal to me. Setting players up with long crosses, fighting for every ball, and wearing his heart on his sleeve are the reasons that I enjoy watching him play.

No, you aren't going to get the speed and dribbling ability of certain world class players, but Beckham is World Class in areas I mentioned above. Of course his hollywood good looks and media circus surrounding him make him desireable for the casual soccer watcher. He can bring in these types of people into the stands more so than any other player in MLS.

He even brings in your eurosnob, at least a friend of mine who usually scoffs at MLS wanted to go see Galaxy vs. DC United, cause of Becks.

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't as good as he once was, but for years he was a big leader at ManU while they were winning regularly. He wasn't always the #1 player on that team, but he got famous that way. He is total professional and has played well under lots of pressure. Obviously his good looks and wife and that kind of thing add onto it, but I think he's a better soccer player than people give him credit for even if his speed and dribbling skill are surpassed by many.
    An American example might be someone like Brett Favre. He's a guy who just seems to get it done even though he's not the fastest or best, but he's got a great arm and is a great leader and he's won some championships despite not being the top skill guy at his position in any given year.

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm as cynical as they come, but Becks has impressed me with his work ethic and attitude. Plus he probably has the highest assist/minute ratio in the league.

gyr0, you should just be glad you have Angel to lead NYRB to greatness.

8. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems everyday this thread is started in one way or another....common sense will tell you why he's appealing....the most popular athlete in the world and he put's butts in the seats, which are the 2 main reason's the Galaxy/MLS ponied up all this cash for him...he's not the best, just the most popular...and that equals mass exposure for the MLS and lots of $$$.

9. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    I am quite happy with Angel, but despite scoring more goals and assists than Beckham (and remaining injury free) few New Yorkers know his name.

Beckham is an attractive and marketable player with a solid, if not spectacular, international/club career. He is also 33 years old and in the downslope of his career-- yet he continues to pack the seats and sign big contracts. But this doesnt answer the question: why?

Can this all be the result of brand building? What is his secret? I am not questioning his positive impact, but I am genuinely curious.

10. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Born in the East end of London, equivalent of being born in the Bronx, from a working class family who brought him up with decent values and kept his feet on the ground. Multi, multi millionaire who is still approachable and not a primadona. Probably doesnt quiet have the engine he once had, but would probably still get his game for all bar Man U in the EPL Might have been a right hoora henry if he had been from the affluent west end of London. Yet to be fully fit for an MLS game, next season barring injury will drive LA into at least the playoffs. Seems to have no enemies barring rival fans, i have booed him many times on his visits to the Riverside, makes you want to throw up sometimes cos he's such a decent bloke and team player.

11. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There really is no comparison between Beckham at his peak, to Angel at his peak, i have seen Angel play against Boro on half a dozen occasions, Angel is a good player, Beckham is a very good player, players i call great are the ruud gullitts, Ronaldiniho, Rumi************s of recent years, superstars are the Pele's Maradonna's and George Bests.

12. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    I am not comparing the two players beyond the fact that Angel has had no impact on attendance despite his productivity and DP status. I suppose ultimately it comes down to marketing, in which case I tip my hat to brand Beckham.

13. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess its kinda like Mr. Kevin Garrnet of Boston Celtics. He hasn't won the championship but steadily puts up 20 to 30 fantasy points for his team. Sometimes higher points exsist. So you tell'un me, that he isn't a quality postion. I admit. He is aging and his skills aren't showable every second from every match. He does create a handfull of oppertunities every match. That probably can be said by most players but it just isn't the same.

14. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Yep! Some athletes have good looks and put up good stats, so then they start selling replica jersey's with their names on them and people buy them and become a fan. Then after a while when they are past their prime people still like them just because of their past history, so people still go to the games just to see them.

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    First, I think you under sell what he brings on the field. He is a focal point and plays great balls to his teammates from the run of play as well as free kicks. He is one of those players who is 2-3 steps ahead in thought at all times. Look at how Man United, RM and the England team struggled immediately when he left their line ups and how the latter 2 improved dramatically when he came back into the teams.

Second, you can look at a parallel to the Yankees. Derrick Jeter does not put up the eye popping numbers and is not the best defensive shortstop in the game. However, he was the leader and focal point of the dominant and wildly popular (in the US at least). His star status is secure.

Beckham was that and more on Manchester United with a global appeal. He was right in the heart of, I think 8 league titles, 4 FA Cups and a Euro Championship. He single handedly delivered England into the 2002 WC. He is a star.

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becks is a genius. No question about it. Anyone that can get Carlos Pavon to score is an absolute genius.

17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm amazed that so many soccer fans who watch a lot of soccer don't recognize how good a passer Beckham is and the huge influence he has one games. Perhaps the greatest long-ball passer ever. Tremendous vision -- world class without a doubt. For the last 10+ years any top soccer coach in the world would put him in their starting 11 -- yet fans keep saying he is not that good. The opinion of those that think he is not "world class" is the most interesting phenomenom. Is it the tendency of those to discredit substance in super models?

Passing does seem to be under-appreciated by the average fan who thinks the goal scorer is the hero and not the player who served the ball onto his strong foot, at speed, perfectly weighted from 55 yards away. From my standpoint -- saying Beckham lacks world class skill and speed is like saying pocket Aces in poker lacks the ability to make straights and flushs, thus is not a great hand.

Appeal wise -- I've got to think the movie, model career and celebrity marriage created the mass appeal. Soccer wise, I'd pay to see him just to see one of the greatest passers ever play.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

I agree with everything you said, but it is important to understand that these non-soccer things happened BECAUSE -- after Cantana retired -- Beckham was the face of Manchester United. The most followed club in the world and during one of its most successful spells ever.

19. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    1. Poor family
    2. Kid makes good on dream of playing for his favorite club
    3. Happens to be one of the biggest club in the world
    4. Beckham in his prime was one of the best wing players in the world. His crosses are consistently pin point. His free kicks were ridiculous. His passing was phenomenal.
    5. Good Looks
    6. Charismatic
    7. Marries pop "star" and incredibly gorgeous woman
    8. At his favorite club goes on to win numerous EPL Championships and several cup competitions and his favorite club enjoys some of its most successful years.
    9. Every single game he plays, he seems to give 110%
    10. Appears to still be down to earth.
    11. Leads his nation to the World Cup, has one of the worst moments a player can have at the biggest stage in an elimination game against a heated rival and gets destroyed in the media. All the while he keeps working hard, improving, and doesn't let it destroy him, but instead comes back and does better the next time.
    12. Captain for his country
    13. Ends up leaving a giant club for maybe the only other club on the planet close to the original club in marketing prowess.
    14. Movie
    15. After benching, signs to go to MLS, gets benched by his coach "forever" yet still continues to come to practice, work hard and try to earn his spot back with his club. Despite going several months without getting a sniff of first team football, his team has a big dip in form and the coach flails and tries anything including bringing him back. When he is brought back, he pretty much helps the club that didn't want any part of him not too long ago save their season and win their championship.
    16. Rather than stay at the superclubs or rightfully return to England and play out his next 4 years, he, while definitely still an EPL caliber player and arguably an elite player leaves all of it behind to help American soccer. Obviously he gets benefits outside of soccer from the move and he cashes a nice paycheck, but he didn't have to come here and could have easily just gone back to England.
    17. One of the reasons cited for his US exploits is that he can't envision himself playing the EPL against his former club, endearing him once again to the fan base and the general population compared to say any other athlete in the world who would just cash the biggest check.
    18. Consistently does shit like this:
    [Youtube]NHOXzrD25ZM [/Youtube]

19. Wanted to take jesse marsch out.
    20. Tried to play on one leg even though everyone knew he shouldn't just because everyone expected him too.

20. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Like many, when he first signed with L.A., I really thought he was only coming for the money but what changed my thinking about him and saw how determine, passionate and dedicated he wanted to be with the Galaxy was during the Superliga final (which I attended).

In front of 12,000 people, invloved in a first time make-up tournament, I see David Beckham him running, tackling, screaming and communicating with players, then all of a sudden he gets injured. I see him with a towel over his head and crying. I was like: "Yo Beckham!, this tournament does not mean anything, Its just another of the many, many, many exhibition matches that AEG will organize to make money off you." But I was assuming that he did not see it that way, thats where I saw how much "Heart" he has for the Galaxy and how much he wants to win, regardless if he is playing for a "Pub" team in a "Mickey Mouse League".

21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For the World Class topic: What a lot of novices to soccer expect Beckham to score or do tricks like Zidane or Ronaldinho they think he's crap. Look at Pirlo, is somewhat similar to Beckham and he gets a lot of praise.

As for his appeal, he just seems likeable. Despite being a BIG BIG celebrity he never lets it get to his head. He's never been arrested for anything, he takes the game seriously, and he is dedicated to the team. I once read somewhere that they had to take his keys away from Man Utd's training ground because he would never leave, he just wanted to practice nonstop.