Beckham

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Aug 23, 2007.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  2. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree.. He has the winning attitude, and heart of 11 players. He has my respect, admiration, and gratitude for the way he plays and the passion for England that he displays. Pure class.

3. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    My local pub team has heart and passion. They are still crap. and Beckham still stank the place up last night. He was injured and should never have been on the field.

4. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's put P.Neville in his place, yeah that's the ticket..

5. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Or a fully fit 100% SWP who has been in great form for Chelsea. Nevermind, we must have Beckham, he is vital ......

..for making the F.A more money.

6. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i have to say. for all the media attention and hype that he gets, he may not be the most talented player in the world, but i've always admired his commitment, passion, and workrate. pure class, indeed

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Spot on.

8. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What absolute rubbish!!

Becks had a decent game last night. He created many of England's best chances at scoring. He had some poor passes but no more, and probably less, than most other English players.

He is clearly not fully fit. I think England would have been better served to pull David around the hour mark to 70 mins to see some other players. That is what friendlies can do for you.

The fishbowl that is English soccer won't allow that, however.

9. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Come of it lol. His crosses were diabolical and set pieces even worse and if he cant do them then what is the point in having hairboy on. SWP did more in 20 minutes than hairboy the whole game.

10. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    i dont know what the hell you are talking about.

I knocked his tactical indiscipline in previous performances .

12. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hardly. SWP had a nice run that beat a couple of defenders in the opening. But, as usual, looked lost and gave up the ball once he got towards the net. That said, I would like to have seen him play 20-30 mins on the right.

Beckham, even with his liabilities, gives England its best chance of scoring. Think about it. Have you seen England create anything in open play in the SM era? The only way they are dangerous is from a Beckham cross from a set piece. It may be unfortunate but it is true.

I think that IF England fail to make Euro 2008 then you will have the impetus to clean house and go with a youth movement. Beckham right now gives England the best chance to qualify, even if that chance is quite slim.

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fuck off you irritating twat.

14. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great insight on the game. Thanks for sharing.

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No he doesn't. He's a good player, and played alright last night, but our qualification in no way hinges on him.

16. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Prenn can you do something about the likes of Curva, they're gonna be crawling all over the place every time Beck's plays. They're knowledge of the team is so poor that there's no point arguing with them.

Like this doozie Think about it. Have you seen England create anything in open play in the SM era? completely failing to comprehend one of the main reasons (excuses) for Beckham being
    brought back was we were scoring all our goals from open play.

*holds his head in his hands.

17. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually DMT, I think the issue comes more with guys like you on the boards. The "I know everything and everyone else is stupid" posts get really boring and does nothing to further the debate.

If you look at my posts, they are my opinion on Beckham's game. Relatively evenhand, I thought. If you disagree, fine, explain why. I'm a big boy, I can handle it. However, if you just want to be an condescending a**hole, that is your choice. Good luck with it.

Anyway, to your point, seems to me that the reason that they brought him back was that England was not scoring ANY goals, open play or set pieces. They scored 9 in the first two games he was out of the team. After that, there was a stretch of 6 matches netting 2 goals total before the 3 goal explosion against Andorra.

As I said before, I think that Beckham gives England the best chance of being dangerous. Does that mean he needs to be in all 90 minutes? As posted above, no. I think he should only have played an hour or so and then someone else should have gotten a look on the right side. Unfortunately, with him playing the full hour, we didn't get that chance and, hence, this debate.

18. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    That is exactly my point, the only point of Beckham these days is set pieces and crosses. They were terrible last night for whatever reason, probably because he was carrying an injury and should never be on the field.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Well then tell that to mclaren. Becks has shown himself to be a tough minded player and has shown a willingness to play hurt. Unfortunately he has to play for two of the dumbest f*^king managers in football for club and country.
    Why bring becks over for the germany friendly rather than let him rehab the ankle and get in better shape for the euro qualifiers?

20. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    I assume that by sept Beckham will be fully fit and play against Israel. How effective do you think he will be against Israel as opposed to others? Personally I think your boy Lennon is the most effective midfielder against us, even more than Gerrard and Lampard, because of his speed.

21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it depends on the players avaialbe. For example Crouch I think is suspended so if Beckham plays those corners and free kicks and crosses wont be attacked by someone with height and fairly decent heading ability. I cant think of another England forward who will be dangerous in the air.

Becks doesnt have speed but he gives you something different. it is up to McDonkey to use him properly.

22. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Crouch is not dangerous in the air.

23. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    well his height does create a problem that defenders just cant ignore. whether he is dangerous (Shearer like) or just average if you ignore his height Beckham will put the ball there. besides i think he (crouch) is competent enough to pose a decent threat all round.

24. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Dont compare him to Shearer. Shearer was powerfull and smashed headers in all over the place. Crouch is clumsy and more often than not the ball just bounces of his head in random directions.

Against any decent defence aerial balls to Crouch will be no threat.

25. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    NO NO I am not saying he is Shearer (even I know better)

Crouch has his flaws but he can be effective. I dont think he is given enough credit (my view). I think he can be a good contributor to any team if given a proper set up (again my view). you obivoulsy dont care much for him which is fine. a lot of people dont. so i am contented to agree to disagree here. Howver in light of what is happening in the England camo, he is a good alternatvie for a plan B or C