Beckham

Discussion in 'England' started by cristiano_007, Oct 10, 2004.

1. cristiano_007

cristiano_007 Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Scored a great goal then got injured 1st tho will captain and will rooney get a chance to take the free kicks.

2. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think Rio Ferdinand or Michael Owen will captian.

Rooney will take Free Kicks.

-P.s. why was Owen Captian today :confused: :confused:

3. AwayKit

AwayKit Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why not?

4. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Owen was captain once Beckham left the pitch injured. He's vice-captain because Sven believes that whoever wears the arm-band rises to the occasion. I would make Sol captain myself. He's got loads of experience at this level and leading from the back is the only way, in my opinion. Making a striker captain is almost as redundant as making the goal-keeper captain, in my honest opinion.

Revelian

5. Butterfingers

Butterfingers New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Canada
    Rooney?!

Why not get Lamps to take the free kicks? He does a pretty good job for Chelsea.

6. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Too bad he dosent score them LoL!!

7. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Because I dont think he has Respect from all the of the team, Hees short, He is around 24, and He is a Striker. I play and I wouldnt take orders from him.

-N1

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Sol should be named captain, with Lamp next in line. With that whining, its my goal, its my goal, he just forfieted his right to lead a team in my book.

9. AwayKit

AwayKit Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yah, that is a good point. I'm really disappointed with that goal claim. Doesn't seem very "cap'ny".

10. Tarka

Tarka New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Maryland, US
    Well I can see Owen wanting the goal since it did hit off of him, and if anything maybe for a confidence boost. I'd be happy with Owen being captain but it seems fitting that Campbell gets it. I heard Sven already named Owen captain for the next game, so hopefully he can net some :)

11. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Yes it should be either a CB or a CM

like Klinsmann has stripped Khan of the captaincy and instead made Ballack captain.. he said hes got nothing against Khan but he wasnt the captain in the centre of the park as the keepers orders wont get to the front and if the captain was a striker, his orders wouldnt get to the defence and keeper

12. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    ALL strikers try and claim a goal in these situations. It's just what they do. And this was a relatively legitimate claim, often strikers try and claim goals despite it being obvious to everyone that they never touched the ball.

I've never actually seen the rule book (who has?) but from my experience of previous disputed goals I thought Owen would be judged the scorer. Goals are usually awarded to the last player to touch the ball before it goes in, regardless of whether the touch was involuntary (except in the case of an own goal).

For the record, two years ago Owen immediately admitted he hadn't got a touch on a goal initially awarded to him.

England Vs Slovakia 12th October 2002

13. Tarka

Tarka New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Maryland, US
    At least it shows he's hungry for a goal. But for communication reasons probably Lampard should have it. Either way though I think we can take Azerbaijan.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beckham really needs to be given more credit that he is. My word... after he was injured he stayed on the pitch with one thing in mind. Pick up that yellow. That is captaincy for you. Some may think it was just hothead Becks making an appearance but I disagree. He knew he would likely miss the next match and decided that he might as well get his suspension out of the way so he stayed on through the pain and made sure he got his card. That was truly something else...

Also, I don't think Rooney should be taking the fk's he is getting a little to cocky now, he wants to do everything and score every goal. The lad is talented but when u are talented and young you need to defer to others with experience sometimes. He might be better than Lamps it might benefit England to have Roon take the fk's this game, but in the end I think it would benefit Rooney and England (and ManU of course) if Rooney took a backseat on this issue.

15. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    hes getting really big headed and just shooting from 25 yrds every time
    i dont think he can take free kicks
    the one against fenerbache was going right at the wall which moved out of the way

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney is not big-headed, there was only one moment in the game where he should have squared the ball instead of shooting, but even then it was worth an effort and very nearly went in. It was only the sheer size of Paul Jones's arse which saved that shot.

The entire point of the 4-3-3 formation was to get Rooney on the ball as often as possible, as he makes thing happen, either for himself or for others.

17. AwayKit

AwayKit Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I completely disagree, he has no claim to that goal and looks pathetic attempting to lay claim. An intentional redirection is much different than the ball bouncing off your heal as you duck out of the way.

He's better than that and had a wonderful game. Very unlucky not to score. But leave Lamp's goal alone.

18. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed, what I found really troubling after watching again, was that the annoncers, at the start of the 2nd half said Owen during the half was watching slo mo replays and lobbying for the goal in a 1-0 match that was only half over. Not exactly the stuff of team leadership and unity.

All I know, is the players immediatly reacted as if it was Lamp's goal, the Ref ruled it Lamp's goal, the FA said it was Lamp's goal but at Owen's urging checked with FIFA who said it was Lamp's goal, Sven said it was Lamp's goal and now instead of worrying about wednesday he is still lobbying for credit for the goal. What a prat, though I think he played better than he has recently and earned a place ahead of DeFoe for now.

As to free kicks and penalties wednesday, I say Lamp, but give the corners to someone else, he has been really inconsistent in corner delivery for Chelsea, and has a good finishing head in the box.

19. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Why Lampard? Its not like he can score Free Kicks. They should give to Rooney.

20. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the consensus here on Beckham's yellow?

I only saw the replays, but to my eyes it seemed clearly intentional to pick up the booking. You'd think with all his skill, he'd have learned a better way to get the ref's attention than breaking his rib.

21. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Almost certainly it was intentional.

He breaks the rib in the previous challenge. Then, on realising he won't be able to play in Azerbaijan anyway because of this injury, he plays through the pain just long enough to pick up the yellow card. Voila, he's suspended for the Azerbaijan game, and can have a clean slate for the next one.

22. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know Thatcher from his time at Spurs, he's a dirty Wimbledon c**t. I was delighted to see Becks give him a kick after Thatcher tried to split him in two with his elbow in the first challenge.

23. ejf2002cu

ejf2002cu New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    That was very well said. People need to stop slagging off on Becks. Sure he wasn't up to his normal standards at Euro 2004, but none of the Real players were either. I think he has turned it around this season...he already has two goals for his club. I thought it was very heads up on his part to go ahead and get that yellow so he would have a clean slate the rest of the qualifiers.

24. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lamp is ice cool clutch on penalties, and has had some brilliant assists off free kicks this year for Chelsea. As to free kicks that present a good initial shot to goal, perhaps you may be right.

25. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Anyone have a clip of Beckham's goal?