Beckham Turns Down PSG

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by triplet1, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That graph is red, smoggy white, and blue!!! Go USA!!!

People in Iceland are so blinded by the beautiful women there that they'll answer yes to anything.

Sigurður, do you believe Marcelo Gallardo would be a good designated player?

(drool) yes..............he'll lead whatever that team is to many glory-filled years........(drool)

2. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    :p Bc, fill-in-the-blankdottir is so freaking hot!

3. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.

lies, damn Lies and statistics

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything. ~ Gregg Easterbrook

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies. ~ Stephen Leacock

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Re: Beckham staying in L.A

PSG have only 2 league titles in their history, which probably has something to do with why they are not mentioned in that breath.

5. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Yeah I know, that's the point. They're a classically underachieving club despite being supported well. Hell they were close to the relegation zone just a few years back.

6. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or San Jose?

[​IMG]

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Mexico City?

[​IMG]

8. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I see Paris, I see France,
    I see ....

9. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    [​IMG]

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

Well, they also have a UEFA Cupwinner's Cup to their name - but yes, PSG has underperformed for decades.

11. 2011 Fireman

2011 Fireman Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Clearwater
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Point taken but French clubs just are that big. They have gotten a bit bigger recently, with some success in the UCL, but certainly before 2005 French clubs were not thought of along side the big boys. From a fame perspective, they were really not thought of at all in Europe and less outside.

Beckham, being the global icon that he is, has increased the fame and brand awareness of the Galaxy far beyond where it was. Him coming to America 5 years ago was massive global news. PSG is trying to expand their brand using the same play.

Anyway, as I stated, not saying the Galaxy are bigger/more famous, just that they are in the conversation and not worthy of a "no fecking way".

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

I think you're excluding the French speaking world a bit in your thoughts. The last three years the Trophée des Champions (French Super Cup) has been successfully held outside France in Montreal, Tunis and Tangier.

The current TV contract of EUR 668 million per season has put Ligue 1 firmly in the top five leagues of Europe. The main thing it lacks compared to say - the Bundesliga - is a true superclub. Could PSG become that club? With the money involved I would say that's a real possibility. They have already moved on and are reportedly linked to AC Milan's Pato, Roma's De Rossi and Dortmund's Götze.
    But will it last once Beckham leaves? Do people think of the Kashima Antlers just because Zico played there? I think it's more likely that the global media will refer to Beckham as the "former ManU and Real Madrid player" after his retirement.

13. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham is still the greatest media attraction in football today and a great asset to MLS, even at age 35.

Years from now Becks will be known as the former ManU player because that is where he rose to fame. Just like Pele is the former Brazilian player. But for both of them, their fame is personalized to them, and the teams they played for are secondary.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Beckam is less than five months away from turning 37, but I agree fully with the rest.

15. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It will last because LA will just replace him with another big name player. Certainly not the brand that Beckham was but I have no doubt it won't be a quality well known player. He has opened the door for world class players to come to this league and I don't see that stopping once he leaves.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

People still talk about the Cosmos, don't they?

But that's a different question, and a less relevant one, probably. As pointed out, media miles away don't refer primarily to Pele's club teams to describe him as a player. But when Santos plays Barcelona, it's "Pele's old team vs Messi's current one."

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

Well known to who? Players like Robbie Keane won't raise global mainstream awareness of the Galaxy (that's what we are talking about, right?) one bit outside Ireland and perhaps to a lesser extent the UK. There is only a handful of players who have a truly recognizable face around the world, most of them former world players of the year. To make it truly last the Galaxy would have to be able to sign one of them time after time.
    Not outside the US. That's my point. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, but now we must compeate with the Chinese and Russians for the over the hill, over paid players. (Becks was not over the hill, speaking more about Rafa and Henry).

Also the Brazilians have the money to keep their old players now in days.

19. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the new LA local TV deal has a clause in it that they are obligated to replace Becks/Donovan/Keane with big names when the time comes.

No one is as big as Becks, but as a fan, if they were able to switch him this season for say a Ronaldihno, I would have been just as happy (yes I know this won't happen, just an example).

20. nicktoe

nicktoe Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

PSG is about 30years old i think,just googled.They formed 12 August 1970 so there not a well known big club,so history says