Beckham to LA [NCR]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KHT_Crew, Jan 10, 2007.

1. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Fox & Friends on the Fox News Channel are reporting this morning that Sources have said that Beckham will be signing with LA Galaxy.

Equally amazing (though probably prepped), they were rattling off the various venues and seat counts and they were actually correctly tied to MLS teams.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, "sources" have been saying that for some time now. When those "sources" start saying he signed his name, you'll have something.

This looked like a foregone conclusion a while ago. Among other things, Victoria wants o get into acting and is known to have been home shopping around LA.

But more to the point is this: it's the logical thing for Becks to do.

Some people are saying that him coming to MLS is an admission that his career is on the slide and that he can't play any more and that his ego won't let him make that admission.

I would suggest that the reverse is true: his ego is what's sending him over.

He could certainly get offers from other Euro and EPL sides and stay over there. But so what? I think that it is HARDER for him to go play for, say. Fulham or West Ham after playing with ManU and Madrid. THAT is an admission of being on the slide.

But coming to America, to be MLS's version of NASL's Pele move, is completely different. He's coming to be the savior, the creator, the guy who finally got professional soccer going in the US, like Pele did in the 70's.

Did Pele's reputation suffer because he came to play in a crap league like NASL? Hell no, if anything it made his legend even larger: he MADE professional soccer in the US legitimate and valid and put butts in seats.

THAT is the challenge I think Beckham sees. Rather than play out the string for some lower half of the table side in England, which only tarnishes his reputation, he coms to America, helps get MLS into mainstream sports and his legacy is vastly enhanced.

Plus Posh gets to pretend she can act. Can't be worse than her singing.

3. crewken

crewken Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Columbus
    I'll take some of that action.

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember the proposed MLS schedule format correctly, LA will only be coming to Columbus once this year, right?

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so, that's all they did this year anyway...

6. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are stories up that Madrid and Becks will not be continuing their contract talks and that Becks will be leaving. This is actually starting to take legs.

7. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot Damn!! This is the kind of excitement MLS needs! I dont see how any soccer fan wouldnt be all for this kind of infusion of press, anticipation and media coverage a Beckham signing would create.

8. Fútbol Fid

Fútbol Fid New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Columbus
    I'm sure there are some others looking too, I doubt MLS is the only suiter.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, but the story would be pretty dead if Becks locked up a 3 year extension with Real, for instance.

10. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Can't wait for all the screaming 12-year old girls to fill up the stadiums. It'll be like an N'sync concert everytime LA plays.

11. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, getting a player like Becks to come in will take the spotlight off of players like Adu, and allow them a little more time to focus on improving their game and not dealing with PR all the time.

12. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Guardian, there is some confusion, however, to Beckham not signing with Real.

13. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    It's been rumored that Liverpool might be going after him.

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    If this ends up being true, could Landycakes co-exist with Beckham?

15. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
  16. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one welcome our new savior.

[​IMG]

All hail St Beckham. :D

17. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    In much the same way as the flea survives on the dog.

18. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good move for all. What they should do. Is that first Thursday night game on ESPN make it a night game LA VS Chivas where Beckham makes his first start. I think the ratings would be very good and it would give Thursday nights a jump start. Hell put it in the LA Coliseum. They need to make sure they put exciting teams on television on thursday nights. Exciting games although I think just playing at night helps that.

This is exciting. Hopefully it comes to pass.

19. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to admit when you look at the teams trying to sign him, it would be cool if the Galaxy signed him, then I could boo him. :D

20. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that would keep me from booing him would be his wife's presence in Columbus. :D

21. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the obsession with that overtanned skin-stretched-taut-over-skull bitch? Ugh, she couldn't be uglier if she had a full beard, I swear. Really bitch, eat a sandwich.

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd rather have a woman with Posh's build than the Chunky Chilean's build. But, that's just me.

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the build is ok i guess, but meat on the bones is nice. but that skin looks like that lady from "there's something about mary", and she looks like a female skeletor to me. i'm a boob man myself... but she does need a damn sandwich.

24. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't believe it would happen this year, but i can't say that i'm upset. Next we will have to see who NYRB bring in because they probably hate the idea that they are being outdone!

25. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in the other thread, who wants to bet LA comes here in July, so we get no Beckham attendance bounce this season...