Beckham to end Career in MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by dmike, Apr 11, 2006.

1. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    If Joey Franchino is still around, it will be the end of his career.

Sachin

4. TheBaRoN

TheBaRoN Member

Jan 23, 2006
    London, England
    DAVID BECKHAM has again stated his interest in playing in the United States.

The England captain revealed during last summer’s England tour of the states that he would be keen to move to the US at the end of his stint
    with Real Madrid.

He has now confirmed that could be on the cards, although certainly not before the end of next season, when his current contract in Spain expires.

He said: “At some stage, playing in America is possible.

“I’ve one year left at Real, and maybe two more after that, but things can change in football and the American league does interest me.”

Were he to transfer to an American side, 30-year-old Beckham would become the biggest star of Major League Soccer.

It would be the highest profile import since the late 1970s when Pele and George Best played in the North American Soccer League.

He added: “I want to be part of a country that is passionate about sport.

“I’ve got my academy in LA which is important to me because that is my life after the game.”

From the Sun newspaper in UK.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is only 30-31 so in 2 years i think he still be fit enough to play at his best and he isn't unfit anyway he keeps himself in form.

I'm guessing Galaxy would be his choice as his Academy is there and he'll rather live there too.

5. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    'At some stage, playing in America is possible,' Beckham, 30, told ESPNSoccernet Press Pass.

If you guys think he's coming here after only 2 more seasons and passing up millions to play in Europe, I've got a nice New Zealand-based Mexican food franchise I'd like to offer you a ground-floor opportunity on... :D

This crap happens all the time. There was a thread about Ronaldo coming to RBNY just about 2 days ago...as if... Hell, Beckham has said this kind of stuff many times. What the hell is he supposed to say? The US sucks and who would want to play over there? This is a classic example of a non-story made up because people need a headline. I'm still waiting for George Weah to join NY/NJ.

How many will it put in seats? Probably quite a few--for a few matches. Then, Eurosnobs will tire of it and go back to watching Champions League or whatever domestic European league they follow. I remember my friend who swore he'd start watching MLS games after he heard Hristo Stoitchkov was coming to Chicago. A year later I asked him if he had come to see the guy when he came to town for road games that year, and he looked at me like I was crazy. Stoitchie did nothing to "brand" MLS. Beckham, if he came today, could definitely brand his team and possibly MLS as a whole. But Beckham is not coming until he's lost 2 steps in his game--not any time soon.

The better argument I have seen recently is that you need maybe 3 guys on a team who have a bit of recognition, and aren't too far over the hill--totally hypothetically let's say Gary Speed, Phil Neville, and Juninho--or pick your 3 known but not star-power players if you have problems with those 3--who can both help make your team good and gain it a bit of notoriety. They can all 3 be had for a fraction of Beckham or Ronaldo alone, and will do a lot more for a team over the long run.

Beckham alone (and, sadly, maybe not even Ronaldo) isn't going to deliver the title to the Metrostars--remember, for all the talk of Pele and Beckenbauer being the big draws back in the day, the Cosmos did win TITLES...but it took multiple good players. Meanwhile, you didn't see people running around with Gerd Muller or George Best T-shirts, even though these NASL guys were huge soccer names and still, when not totally sauced, very high quality players.

Avoid the "silver bullet" solution to MLS' attendance and popularity woes. It's not out there.

6. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Oh, except for Gazza. Bring him to MLS and all our problems will be solved!!!

7. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Yay!!!!!

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know, when you put it that way...

I am suddenly interested, for the first time in the history of my time on bigsoccer, in actually seeing David Beckham end his career in MLS.

9. kakaboypuf redded

Feb 1, 2006
    Rotterdam
    It would make the american league somewhat more attractive (for plastic fans), but i doubt if it will ever become true.

Beckham is, even though they are playing like amateurs, perfectly happy with life in Madrid. I believe he is the highest paid squadmember(endorsements included) and people worship him like a God there.

So, Never Gonna Happen

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I am going to end my career in Barcelona... nobody cares? DAMNIT!!! SOMEONE SIGN ME!!!

Before anyone else says it, "I heard George Weah is on his way too!"

11. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm skeptical myself on his claims. Even if he does come, it will be when he's pretty much too washed up to play on a decent club in Europe. But he might end up being a decent player at a older age. Look at Youri Djorkaeff w/ RBNY, he's still doing alright over there at 38.

If does come over, the only club I see him playing at is the LA Galaxy, where his academy is.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Beckham really gave a crap about playing in the US market then when his contract is up he'd join MLS... EARLIER than later.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Okay, we have Weah and Gazza and Ronaldo on the first page. I think we still need Ronaldinho and a World Cup 2006 Breakout Star to be Named Later, and we'll be well on our way.

Oh: Obligatory Lothar Matthaus mention.

14. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I woud rather have Jordan Older than Beckham.

Did you see those clips on his mom's website? Awesome!!

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    His comments when he was here were the obligatory "I love America" comments everyone makes when they are on a promotional tour of the US.

With Beckham, though, I believe it because him and his wife really do love it here. My guess, however, would be NY as I think the City would fit their lifestyle better. It's not like they wouldn't have a home in LA as well.

On the question of when, it is time for MLS to make a push for stars when they are younger. The key is their international careers. If Beckham decides that he is done with England after this WC, then I think there would be a shot to lure him over when he is still young (33-34ish). Then you are in the Peter Nowak age group, and obviously, he had a pretty nice impact on MLS.

The "leaving millions on the table in europe" argument ignores some important financial points. First, stars lose serious commercial value when they move to a lesser club in a big league as they age. If they are big enough personalities (like Beckham) their commercial value takes a jump in the US in a new market. Also, salaries fall off in europe when you move to lesser teams, bringing the numbers more in line with what MLS would pay. Then you have to factor in different tax treatments and cost of living to come up with a net take-home.

16. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should sign Conor first. He's nationally ranked.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, because it's just IMPOSSIBLE that he could make more money by signing an MLS deal giving him image rights, and by signing US endorsement with Gillette, SportsClips, etc. :eek: :rolleyes:

And if not more money, at least close enough for it to be a) worth getting away from the paparazzi b) making Victoria happy and c) creating his personal brand as a player, so that Gillette, etc., are still willing to pay him once he's retired. If he tries to get a Gatorade endorsement here having never played in MLS, it won't be as lucrative as if he's playing here.

18. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    For what it's worth, Beckham is crazy fit and will most likely be able to play into his late 30s. If he comes to MLS in 2-3 years, he will be a MVP candidate.

I think his national team status will have as much to do with it as anything else. I don't think he'll be a captain in 3 years, but I imagine he'll still be on the team & I don't think an English coach would select a guy playing for the Galaxy. Although if England wins Euro 2008, maybe he'll retire.

Anyway, probably not gonna happen.

19. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I think it's swell that MLS gets mentioned every now and then by the mega-bucks superstars. If one is very optimistic, one would feel free to believe the sentiment is genuine. No reason to believe it's not. I am, however, interested first in seeing whether or not this kind of interest stokes the interest of those players in Europe who could make a big splash in MLS and still not be as much of the budget busters that are rumored to want to come to America. Otherwise, it's all PR.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good points in your post. It's interesting how it doesn't happen as often as it used to in the early days of MLS, back when players would talk about "playing in America" because they remembered hearing stories from their dads about how much money the NASL was throwing around for awhile.

"Playing in America" doesn't quite mean what it used to in that respect. For now.

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I think Beckham playing in MLS would be underwhelming. Here's why:

Free kicks aside- he's just not that an exciting a player. He doesn't score that much. He makes some nice crosses (but that's going to be a function of players running onto them, and having the skill to finish).

He doesn't beat guys 1v1 much.

I guess if he is still top notch with free kicks, that will be exciting. But otherwise, how is he much more exciting than Donadoni (was)?

I also think he will not be the "Man U" Beckham in 3 years, but a fading player still looking for a big payday. Sound familiar?

I also think that his marketing 'star' will be lessened. He probably won't be playing for English Nats anymore, and his pretty boy thing will be getting old. Posh will be almost 10 years removed from the Spice Girls. Will anyone here care about them anymore? How many Vanity Fair articles do they get? One (if?). He may be lucky to have a Vinny Jones acting career (Vinny's actually doing well for himself as character actor type...but that's not 'star' power)

Now Ronaldo- I could see, if fit/trim/motivated...could be very exciting. He could dribble thru 5 guys and score. Now that is something Sportscenter can understand.

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    So, in conclusion, I think Beckham in 3 years would be Freddy-like effect (a pop first year, then fade). I don't count that as worth much $$. Especially in a place like LA that can get a lot of sellouts without having to pay ONE PLAYER $2-5 million if they are smart (they overpay Landon several hundred k- they coulda had him for 500-600k a year fer sure).

Now if Uncle Dieter wants to blow his many millions on Beckham. who am I to stop him? (financial logic be damned).

And yes, its either LA or NY for Becks.

23. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham's value to MLS should not be measured in jukes and goals he scores directly himself.

Soccer is a team sport and Beckham is a World Cup quality captain for one of the best soccer playing countries in the world.

The experience he could bring to MLS dealing with the fans, his teammates, and the media will help raise the game in the US more than anything he contributes to the stats sheet.

Beckham in LA would be an absolute darling - with people from all walks of life fighting to what will be an even hotter Galaxy ticket. This helps the Galaxy in that market but also hte perception that MLS doesn't have the star factor that all of the other major sports currently enjoy.

Beckham to MLS also opens the door to better coaches seeking employment in the US and vice versa - with MLS proving to be a quality league where if you are a Bob Bradley you can achieve success in this league and in others given the mix of international players, the travel stress and etc.

Beckham to MLS naturally will also open the eyes of the foreign press and players to the 2nd Generation of MLS and MLS players. This will be good from an international transfer perspective for players going abroad or coming to MLS.

Finally, for sponsors having a David Beckham should not be understimated. There are very few Michael Jordan type players that people respect, admire and recognize as being part of greatness. David Beckham has earned that to some degree in soccer and to have a winner like that shouldn't be passed up.

The moment MLS signs Beckham they will have won. You don't pass up opportunities like that.

I agree though that MLS would be foolish to think that just accomplishing that is enough. Frankly, what would be great to see is Beckham signing with the Galaxy around hte same time Reyna signs for the Red Bulls.

Now that would be a story line and it would be intersting to see those MLS games where you have literally the best US players back in the league as well as some of the best the world has had to offer.

24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting how Becks mentions many times in his interview about the "passion" in America. In some cases he's refering to sports passion and in other cases he's refering to patriotism. These comments do line up with his remarks after the RM-Galaxy friendly last year about how he got 'goose-bumps' during the singing of our national anthem. Now comments like these can be promotional in nature, but I do sense some sincerity and that he would like to end his career here.

25. Futbolisto

Futbolisto Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Upper West Side
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I think Becks might come to the states: MONEY+FAME. I've read a lot of stuff on this thread about him losing money and stuff like that, but that just doesn't make sense. I lived in So. Cal for years and I can tell you that folks out there will eat kill for this dude. HE sold out the HDC in record time with Real Madrid came out and demolished the Gals. Girls drove in from as far away as Phoenix just to get a glimpse at the dude. I heard there were even people waiting outside who couldn't get tickets.

What he brings is star power and good looks, which is a perfect fit with LA. U.S. advertisers will be knocking on his door for lucerative endorsments, probably more than he could receive in Europe. Even a 35 year-old Becks could pull in tons of cash with his looks in La-La land. Besides, being in LA means that he might try his luck in show biz, something that I know he and his Posh wife would want to entertain.

Though, I would like to see him go to DC United for selfish reasons.