Beckham starts for England

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sean Donahue, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    England's starting line up

1 Paul Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur)
    2 Micah Richards (Manchester City)
    3 Nicky Shorey (Reading)
    4 Michael Carrick (Manchester United)
    5 Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)
    6 John Terry (Chelsea)
    7 David Beckham (LA Galaxy)
    8 Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    9 Alan Smith (Newcastle United)
    10 Michael Owen (Newcastle United)
    11 Joe Cole (Chelsea)

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/07/EnglandGermany_report.htm

Mods, please move or delete if this doesn't belong here.

2. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love seeing Galaxy next to Beckham's name. Lets just hope he doesn't injure himself in this game.

3. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    That's what I am thinking too.

Playing alot of soccer on an ankle that isnt right yet.

4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean he won't be playing tomorrow night for LA?

5. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word on the street is that he'll play at least part of the game. I'm a bit hesitant though, like I said before, all this playing and flying could result in something terrible. I say don't risk it.

6. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, it looks like he's about to play the full 90 minutes. England just gave the last substitution; Becks remains on-field.

7. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Soccernet tracker says he's limping too.

8. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems okay, but I could be wrong. I'm watching it via Sopcast.

If he comes back hurt, I'm pretty sure McClaren will get some heat from both sides of the pond for this one.

9. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game over. Becks played all 94 minutes, and seemed to be okay. Donovan also played in Sweden, and was substituted around the 60 minute mark.

10. Made_in_England

Made_in_England New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Beckham get injured for England?

The lazy so and so didn't do anything to even break a sweat.

His play was distinctly average, a 6 at best.

His delivery was terrible and the only ball that did work (a 5 yarder to Dyer) my grandma could have executed.

A couple of years ago he really got stuck in and the other players shown him alot of the ball, this game the players seemed to go down the left wing and Beckham never really looked that interested.

Then to top it off, instead of subbing Beckham, off goes Joe Cole (1 of England's most explosive players) and on comes SWP on the left wing?

SWP is naturally a right sided player and is twice the player that Beckham now is, as soon as he came on he looked threatening.

The person who most needs criticizing in this game (I can't wait for the papers tomorrow, who will be baying for blood) is the manager, Steve Mclaren.

I disagreed with every substitution in this game, why is the manager bringing old ass players back when theres a abundance of talent not even in the squad?

James, Brown, Dyer, Barry all should NOT even be in there.

The manager needs to go, he's obviously stuck in the past.

SACK MAC!!!!!

Its the only chance we got of winning anything, this England team will win nothing, its already tried and failed numerous times and yet the manager persists with the same team.

SACK MAC now before its too late!!!!!

England could field a world cup winning team... if half the current team was replaced, the players are already available, but the manager refuses to play them!

11. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, you are definitely English.

12. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(let me catch my breath)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

13. Made_in_England

Aug 20, 2007

Either you don't follow the EPL or your 12 years old in which case does Mommy know your talking to strangers on the internet?

14. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Beckham's crosses as a whole were on par, especially the set-pieces plays. Dyer didn't play a bad game at all to me except for the fact that he didn't finish when he should have, but he wasn't completely off-target. He missed at least three shots within a foot of the goal. That's farely acceptable when it comes to a friendly, because the team knows what they have to work on. And Lampard's goal was straight up wicked. I have no clue why England fans keep hating on him.

The only reason why England has a chance at qualifying at Euro IMO is the fact that they brought Beckham back. Slow down before you even think about qualifying for the World Cup, much less winning it though. I agree with SixKick, that was pretty funny though:)

15. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what he's trying to say is that the EPL's foreign talent is loads better than its domestic. I would agree for the most part.

16. Kawal_Huja98

Kawal_Huja98 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Chicago
    You sir are an idiot. Did you watch that game? Beckham was one of the better players for England and if only English players could finish the chances Beckham set up for them we'd be talking how great Beckham played.

17. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to interrupt the laughs, but check this out...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=455871&cc=5901
    If the Galaxy could use a win or two, the time is now. Their two biggest stars (D-Boy and Becks) are coming from Europe tomorrow afternoon, and according to Allen Hopkins, they're actually using the same flight from London to Los Angeles.

18. Made_in_England

Aug 20, 2007
    You guys just don't get it, you don't... its like we're talking on 2 seperate levels.

England don't want "acceptable" performances we want excellence. The players who play for England get paid £50,000 - £150,000 + (about 100,000 - 300,000 US) per week to play the game.

We demand perfection!

The only player we REALLY love is Rooney, that lad always gives 110%

Rooney! Rooney!

19. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, didn't even mention Robinson the latest David James for England. Stop worrying about Beckham playing in the US and start worrying about the players in England. Beckham wasn't spectacular bur he didn';t lose the game.

20. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I think "perfection" and "England", I think Lucy Pinder :D

But c'mon man, you're talking as if England's one of the best football teams in the world. When was the last time England's won a World Cup? 1966 when they hosted. Or when's the last time England's won a Euro Cup? Never. In fact, for Euro 2008, England's trying to rise to Greece's level in 2004.

It's not that England's not good. England has a great team and great roster. But your journalists over there are overhyping the team beyond belief. The fact is that you WANT them to be excellent and you WANT perfection from them, but regardless of how well or poor their results are, you'll still be proud to be from England, and you'll be proud that your team represents you and gives 100%, just like everyone else. The media there though is trying to paint this picture that you've won as many World Cups and regional titles as Brazil, Germany, France, Italy, Argentina, etc., when the fact is that England is simply a CONTENDER for the titles, not DEFENDING it...

21. Made_in_England

Aug 20, 2007
    Probably the most sensible comment I've heard all day. Obviously I beg to differ but at least your argument is sensible.

To say England isn't 1 of the best intl teams in the world is crazy. We have the quality to beat ANY team and when the big teams clash its always who plays better on the day (look at the England Vs Brazil game, Brazil were VERY lucky to equalize and tie the game). Our players are on the biggest salaries of any nation. It is also a nation that expects.

No England fan would deny that the national team underacheives (just like many others, like Spain) and we have no idea why. Its one of sports great mysteries. Its like the Yankees, given the abundance of star players you'd expect them to win all the time, but they don't. Man for man they probably are the best team in the world....on paper.

I do think England will win a WC in my lifetime, only not with the some of the current players and manager.

Every competition we're told that this could be the one, but then something happens or someone makes a mistake and its all over for another 2 years. The nation as a whole are sick of the national team not performing, thats why they get booed when they don't win and certain players, no matter how good they are, are singled out for criticism.

The only player that is universally loved by all is Wayne Rooney, for us he encapsulates everything that is the English footballing tradition who will never let us down... if only we could clone another 10 of him.

In my eyes the ELITE international teams are (in no part order): Brazil, Italy, Argentina and England.

If any of those teams played any other team you'd fancy them to win, but if they played eachother then its the proverbial coin toss.

"Its coming home, its coming home its coming, footballs coming home"

22. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's the problem with your arguement. The NY Yankees on paper are not the best team in the world. They are simply hyped that way EVERY year as the best team money can buy.

England on paper are not an elite team by any standards. When they can product it on the pitch, feel free to come back and let us know about it.

2007 minus 1966 = a long time ago.

23. Made_in_England

Aug 20, 2007
    Wow, the English fans are really letting the team have it with both barrels after tonights result! You thought i let em have it? Heres something i lifted off 1 of the English national newspaper sites forums:

Seems im not the only 1 criticizing the manager. I told you this was a nation that expects, theres page on page of the same kinda comments too!

Another reads

you'll see by the time of the first comment i pasted (in GMT) that these were left after my initial comments on here. So consider it a Bigsoccer exclusive from a genuine England fan! (theres 3 lions on my shirt right now, although i may take it off, after a performance like that it makes me feel dirty.)

For you MLS'es you're probably thinking it wasn't such a bad game, for us its a complete disaster! They are already calling for the managers head!

or you can read the whole thing at http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/27243.page

By now your probably wondering why we're so upset at losing a friendly by 1 goal.

1) It was Germany

2) It was at Wembley

3) It wasn't even a near a full strength Germany

4) It was almost a full England team, barring a couple of players (albeit stars like Gerrard and Rooney)

5) This is a new stadium and we really need to turn it into a fortress where we NEVER lose, this way teams will fear us before they've even stepped onto the pitch

6) Did i mention it was Germany

7) We're in the middle of a Euro campaign, the last thing we need is results going against us, doesn't help the teams moral.

There are umpteen other reasons this really grinds our gears... 1 day you MLS'es will be as passionate about your national team, hopefully you'll live to see the day! (no disrespect intended, like its been said in other threads by MLS fans give it a few generations and you'll get there)

24. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respectable post. I still don't understand how it works in football that England would be considered one of the best in the World though. Having the highest paid players does not make you elite; it just makes you the highest paid. The Yankees are the highest paid, yes, but they've also won more baseball titles than any other in MLB.

England has only made the World Cup top 4 twice EVER, 1990, and the one they won and hosted in 1966. France has accomplished the exact same thing between 1998 and 2006 (won in a World Cup they hosted, then made the top 4, in fact, top 2, in 2006). To be elite, you have to have won CONSISTANTLY. England's won once. That's a start, though.

England does have dangerous talent. I wouldn't say their current team is better than Portugal, Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Netherlands, or Croatia yet because those teams have all accomplished more in the past 10 years than England, but they're still a team that no one takes for granted when playing against them. I won't even say they've under-achieved. I'd say they've achieved exactly what they could with their teams, and that leaves England fans disappointed because they expected too much from them.

25. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Im really just annoyed at McLaren. His continuing mis-managemnet of England is obvious.

Some of his choices just didnt perfrom: Dyer - how many chances did he miss? Smith - did he even touch the ball? Nick Shorey - when everbody wants to see Taylor get a chance somewhere on the left!

And Lampard shooting at the coluds - makes one and then misses to get back to his usual England form...