Beckham facing player resentment at Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mundial, Jan 19, 2007.

1. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=400609&cc=5901

Vagenas: 'Of course there is resentment. I think if people said no they would be lying. But a wise man once said you are worth what you negotiate.

'On the one hand you would say more power to him but on the other hand you think why can't I be earning that?'

2. Turboduck01

Turboduck01 New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    San Diego CA
    wake me up when vagenas starts playing better

3. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Andy Mead.....

4. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    So the player that Beckham is likely to replace in the lineup isn't excited. Shocker.

Also, if he'd pull his head out of his tail, work hard, and play well next to a superstar he could get noticed and get a nice contract of his own. This is great news for guys like Quaranta and Jaqua.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I completely understand, and I will fully support Mr. vagenas when he holds out of training camp until MLS comes around and pays him 9 million a season. Good luck to you Mr. vagenas. May you get everything you want in your next contract.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Vagenas gets $128K/year as one of the worst d-mids in the league?

I resent him for making that much money in a league of paupers and giving us fans nothing in return.

7. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Vagenas! Vagenas should problably worry about Beckham not knowing what is his nickname realy is: "Passback Pete":D

8. hig76

hig76 New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    NJ
    I was shocked to read Vagenas made that much money.

9. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Beckham facing player resentment at Galaxy

And in other news: Neighbor with new BMW receives covetous glances

Other headlines: "Gravity a drag," say the obese

10. Foousic

Foousic New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Washington/Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he's being a bit of a douche, but it is a valid point that I've heard brought up by a few players in the past couple weeks since Beckham's announcment. I mean it's hard to not resent Becks making that much dough when your a guy playing along side him making only $16,000, and working a second job to get by. Once the inital euphoria of playing along side one of the most famous athletes in the world wears off I'd imagine this could become a problem for LA in the way of team chemestry on the field. We'll see...

The best example of this sentement can be found in a Washington Post article last week, where Esky voiced his displeasure in MLS' growing lopsidedness in pay to it's players. I can't remember what exactly he said but it was something along the lines of "it's just wrong what the league puts it's young guys through financially". I tend to agree, and you can see it as a growing problem since I think MLS this year has lost more young American talent to overseas leagues than any other year, purly based in most cases on money.

11. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

No kidding, his comment is ignorant.

He has missed open goal shots that an AYSO kid would nail. Most infamous would be the RSL game in 05'.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    tell ya what, when Pete can make MLS and the Galaxy millions in Ticket sales, merchandising, raise their profile to a global brand that allows them to tour Asia, and get the Galaxy as headline news everytime something happens with the club, I'm sure the club will be happy to him 9M

13. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Pete's earning his nickname...

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a bunch of BS. As Autogalozo said: for a guy who plays like Vagenas does, it's a blessing for the guy he makes $128 G's. I hope he and whoever else out there feels like he does get their head out of their arse and see this as an opportunity, not as a slap in the face. What other way is there to look at it at this point?

I have to wonder what college did for this guy, except to become the expert in the unpressured back pass.

Personally, I don't think most players will care about the money Beckham commands, they'll just go about their business and the oppportunities will present themselves from there.

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Yea, the bottom end is a valid point, but there isn't much room to argue until the league becomes profitable. That is certainly happening. There should be a decent bump in the minimum the next time around, and if there is not, the players have a right to use their collective powers to threaten labor action. They should also educate themselves as a group as to the positive effects financially from the Beckham deal and thank the guy for growing the pie in ways that any current MLS player cannot.

Having said that, from the comments that have now come out from vagenas, eskandarian and cooke, it seems like the league should have done a little proactive education of the players in advance of actaully using the Beckham Rule. For one thing, they should realize that only $400,000 comes out of the salary pot. The rest can be viewed as a private deal between beckham and Mr. Anschutz.

16. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    BTW- Pete was dumb enough to express himself to FiveLive- so of course the headline on the BBC Sports Page is 'Beckham faces resentment of Galaxy teammates'. Just great..

Rather than call Pete in his office and give him a talking too, I'd rather just see him get traded in the next 24 hours. Not because he doesn't have a right to express himself, but that someone who chooses such a forum to do so (I mean, a British broadcaster just looking for a slant- are you kidding me) can't be all that bright.

And because he can't figure out that getting paid what you are worth makes perfect sense in any business, hello Toronto! He can make 'more' there, since he'll be paid in looneys (the higher 'number' should make Petey happy)

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A salary cap league where the standard contract isn't a no-cut deal is going to have salaries that reflect value way, way better than any other league. Peter should shut the f' up.

18. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of changing the name of this thread to "Peter Vagenas is an idiot" I figure that way we would have one less Beckham thread too.

[​IMG]

19. nbtc971

nbtc971 Member

Dec 26, 2006
    What an idiot. Even Carlos Ruiz said Beckham being in MLS is a good thing.

20. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yeah, and he's not even on the Galaxy squad.

Its ironic with Pete's timing: In the last 48 hours there was a major row in Spain because of the public comments of Real Madrid's President, who couldn't keep his mouth shut either. Rightly, the President stood in from of the team and apologized (and they rightly ripped him a good one), but the damage is already done.

One always remembers the transgression much more than the apology.

What's also bizarre, at Beckham first press conference- Lieweike went out of his way to make a pointed joke about how Beckham was not to be hurt at a Galaxy practice (looking at the Galaxy players in the front row). He was laughing, but he was dead serious too:

'Don't fawrk with our massive investment, guys'.

Well, Pete just did that.

21. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know Becks could probably double the reserve squad's salary if they washed his car, carried his water and cleaned his shoes.

OT: With minimum wage going up to $7.50/hr does that mean MLS must raise the reserve squads salaries? I know, $15,000 per year is an absurd amount to pay someone to play a game, but you gotta do what you gotta do in today's market.

22. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, this kind of thing is bound to happen really. There will be players that put in equal or better seasons than Beckham, either for the Galaxy or other MLS clubs, that are going to ask the question, "Why am I not being compensated fairly". If you want examples of this kind of thing happening ask BigSoccer poster and former NASL player England66. He will explain how this went down back in the NASL days. It is certainly something MLS has to be sensitive to. It's easy to dismiss the quote because of the source, but Vagenas won't be the only feeling this way. Does that mean MLS shouldn't have signed Beckham? Of course not....but they do have to understand the consequences of such a move, and labor unrest is part of that.

23. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's be one thing if we were talking about players of the same skill level and world popularity, but come on! You get paid what you're worth. When Pete can land a gig ad Man U, Real Madrid, captain his national team and be the most famous footballer on the planet, then he can complain. Till then he needs to realize that (assuming he remains with the Galaxy) he's about to be a part of one of the most well-known soccer teams on the planet.

Plus the fact that moves like the Beckham signing are intended to improve things for the future - that includes player salaries.

24. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 out of 10 Galaxy fans would agree the team would be better off without Vagenas. I would like to commend his ability to hit the crossbar from 4 yards out of a wide open goal though. He's done it 3 times in the last 2 seasons. It's his fancy way of passing back.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Becks himself can hire those guys at better salaries and still come out way ahead!

We may be looking at this the wrong way: Sneaky Pete has found a way to get coverage in Europe. "All is well" and "we love Beckham" wouldn't get a single column inch.

EDIT: Doh! Drew with the joke before me! :)