Beckham Deal is Done - LA Times

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Mar 8, 2009.

?

It's DB's first introduction on the roster since rejoining LAG. How will you greet him?

1. Cheer wildly! After all, he's still part of the LAG family!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll clap, but I'm not thrilled with his recent actions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I will boo him as loud as I can!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. F**K David Beckham! Let him ride the bench from July to October!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow it didn't hurt him playing for England in 2008.

2. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC

if it didnt hurt him in 08 why move to milan

3. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's a douche...that's why. (I know, very unproductive, but I couldn't resist.)

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn't have been over here in the first place. How did any of you think this was going to end, after failing for Euro 08, with SA 2010 looming, after contributing to a title-winning Real Madrid side... the writing was on the wall a long time ago. He doesn't belong in the MLS.

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing, and then I'm officially done. :)

Some further info. Some interesting words from Garber.

And in light of how the poll is going, here's a highlight:

http://www.usatoday.com/community/p...7993Post:ec9e7efe-3763-47b4-8493-f92ff9e61114

And one more highlight for me:

6. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    tech geo i agree with your comments and i bet every football fan will , that beckham made a big mistake going to the MLS he had the chance to join milan before he joined LA Galaxy he should of bit there hand off to join them. Beckham joined to make lots of $ and to make LA Galaxy lots of $ but i dont think beckham knew the quaility of the MLS

7. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had the league's leading goalscorer (Landon Donavon: 20 goals, 9 assists) & the league's 3rd leading goalscorer (Edson Buddle: 15 goals, 3 assists)...but please continue...:rolleyes:

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree. He probably didn't realize it was going to be too hard for him....

Look - the good news -- we get $200k of salary cap space. This could be HUGE for us if used correctly - getting us a stud central defender to partner with Gonzalez. We also gets tons of allocation money to help sign this potential player.

The possible good news -- if Beckham wants to stay in Capello's game plan, and win back the Galaxy fans, he has to show up and play lights out and help lead this team into the playoffs. There is no other way for him to save face.

The bad news - the F.O. could totally screw up the added salary cap space we got and Becks could come back lame and not caring about the team....

I intend to wait and see how it plays out - then come on here and crow as if I called it correctly from the beginning....

9. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol zing!

10. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC

good players in the MLS not any where else ( provern by donavon at munich and the german league is the 4th best league in europe FACT)

11. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mushrooms are the fourth best pizza topping... FACT

Don't you think it's a bit presumptive to put 'FACT' after a subjective opinion of yours? I happen to agree with you about the leagues (though not in the least about Landon and Edson) but that still doesn't make it a fact.

12. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC

the position of the national leagues are based on club attandences , audiences and position in the champions ,the order is 1 EPL 2 la liga 3 Italion league ( soory dont know how to spell it ) 4 german

13. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point and I agree MLS is not on par with the Bundesliga, that's pretty obvious but DB was competing against other MLS teams while with the Galaxy...if MLS is so terrible shouldn't he at least be one of the top players in the league? I would argue he wasn't even the best player on the team...

14. dmhines

dmhines Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seeing that we got rid of becks till july . . . weren't the beckham jock-ing brits also part of that deal?

MODS-

please revoke this ********ers access until becks returns. thanks,

15. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    how are us brits also part of this deal its bewteen ac milan and la galaxy ( any 1 think it would be funny now that beckham has spat his dummy out and moved to milan that capello doesnt pick him for the squad for 2010)

16. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick reminder - - please don't feed the trolls.

If you sense someone here is a wind-up, just use your "ignore" list and be done with him.

17. LA GALAXIAN

LA GALAXIAN Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the logic behind some of the comments stating that we gotta understand that the pretty boy wants to leave because he doesn't like it in LA anymore even after signing this thing called contract. It's like me buying a car 2 years ago... Guess what I don't like it anymore...the design isn't top of the class but unfortunately I'm stuck with the payments because I made a decision to buy it in the first place and sign a contract... Now why is that guy any different...?!

18. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Enough talk about the quality of MLS, the Galaxy and is Becks a douche bag? Mediocre, poor and yes, OK we get it.

Now, Galaxy FO, go get Chavez. Carry 23 players until what's his face gets back and let him play when he integrates with the team and push for a playoff spot. On the one hand I'm pissed with AEG, but the season is almost here and watching Topper's highlights is getting me pumped. Let's put this to bed, turn the corner and get ready for the season.

19. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I semi-agree with what you wrote, I think the problem might be that there is no corner to turn. We're effectively in limbo until July as to how to build/keep a team together until our supposed wunderkind shows up again. I would love to just build ourselves up as is and rely on DB as a sub at the most. If that were the mindset, then we could definitely "turn the corner" and get pumped with you Venturadoc!

20. Since1996

Since1996 New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    That's exactly how I feel. As a loyal fan (STH since the first day) I feel royally screwed. For the first time in fourteen years I am considering not renewing my season tickets in 2010.

In my opinion AEG has been screwing the fans too hard for too long. A friendly with AC Milan ? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

"Hey honey, we got screwed by this jerk, can we pay to go see him perform???"

Yeah right!

Other ways I feel screwed by AEG:

"We're going to bring in a Mexican star player, you'll love him ! (as long as you don't mind that we destroy the team chemistry resulting in far fewer goals than without him!)"

"We're going to build a soccer specific stadium for the LaGalaxy!!! You'll love it! (as long as you don't mind sharing it with all the other organizations who are going to tear up the turf and make it look worse than an amateur side's home field.)"

"We're going to bring in a new coach, an ex-national team coach no less, you'll love him too! ( as long as you don't mind that we go from first to last place and as a bonus you get to watch the fired coach win the MLS cup with his new team at his old stadium!)"

"We're going to bring in David Beckham, you'll REALLY love him!" (as long as you don't mind sharing him two other teams while we increase your ticket prices by 30%!)"

We're AEG, you'll love us, as long you like being screwed by us !!!

21. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So lets say we sign some defensive guy for $200k... What happens with him and his part of the cap space when Beckham comes back? I dont understand this part. Will we have to let that guy go?

22. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC

sell beckham and sign christian benitez from santos laguna from mexico he is amazing wigan was intrested but if you sell beckham you would be easily able to out bid wigan with the funds from his sale to ac milan

23. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Agreed Ludwig77. Ambivalence is really how I feel about what's happened. The team, BA and fans really get screwed here. However, what's done is done. March 22 we have DC United and what we should be talking about is who is our best 11 at this point. I hope we get that allocation money and cap space and do something positive. Maybe there's no time or not enough cap space to do anything meaningful, but.......

24. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    My suggestion is carry 23 players until July. Can you imagine the locker room when DB comes back and some player who has given his all to the team, been here since preseason, probably making a pittance to chase his dream getting cut just like that......Brutal, way to build team chemistry. Therefore, I think we go into the season with 23 and make all the cuts prior to the season.

25. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    just seen the news that la galaxy will play ac milan in a friendly match. Question for all galaxy fans on here , who would beckham play for and would you want him to play for you again ????????