Beckham Deal is Done - LA Times

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Mar 8, 2009.

?

It's DB's first introduction on the roster since rejoining LAG. How will you greet him?

1. Cheer wildly! After all, he's still part of the LAG family!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll clap, but I'm not thrilled with his recent actions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I will boo him as loud as I can!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. F**K David Beckham! Let him ride the bench from July to October!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm with ya'. And maybe it's just me, bit I don't see the whole bad taste in my mouth going away like a cheap HDC beer. I can see myself not really thrilled to see Becks, and really not thrilled to see AC Milan. If we are playing well, then why do I want to see Becks come back and disrupt it? And see ACM come back and put us in our place.

So I do I have to pretend to be glad to see Becks while he pretends to be glad to be back? Even in the best case scenario, I don't see Magee running through ACM's defense.

And the worst case scenario - we are floundering again. Becks comes back and we get to see Milan's reserves in the second half capping off a nice 5-0 dismantling. Yippeee! But at least it's for 10% less.

2. Galileo777

Galileo777 New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Sec 134, Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what I really care about: (maybe the Steves can help)

1. When am I going to get my 10% back?

2. Is the Milan game going to be part of the season ticket holders' bonus games?

3. Is the game going to be at the HDC?

4. Is Kaka, Ronaldinho, and Pato going to be at the game?

5. Pellegrino or Perrier?

3. LA GALAXIAN

LA GALAXIAN Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the worst case scenario just coming through: Mr.Self-indulging full time model part time soccer player coming to play for our team for 2 months, provided he's healthy and because he must - not because he wants to. The transfer woudn't materialize otherwise so honestly, what other choice would he have? none....

Bruce please do not make me see this guy ever wearing our Galaxy uniform, it's a disgrace to you, our team and our fans. It's time to look around for a true dedicated DP player...there must be another Cienfuegos out there somewhere...

4. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick poll...

Knowing now how it all supposedly went down, I'm curious to see how people will react to DB when he once again steps on the HDC field again.

5. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: A quick poll...

I am really disappointed and disgusted with all the posturing and sneaking Beckham has been doing lately. All the backhanded compliments and the lies about wanting to develop soccer in America still. Frankly I'd much rather we had just accepted even the $3,000,000 offer, just to end this circus. I wish we'd had a clean break, instead of him awkwardly coming back and pretending he wants to be here.

There's still alot that can happen between now and July, so this is a bit premature. But I selected clap politely, but not thrilled. In truth, I'll probably just sit there silently. I'm tempted to boo, but I am not really interested in booing anyone wearing the green and gold (er... navy and white) even if I don't really consider them part of our team. I think we'd be better off without Beckham, but I'll give him a chance to make this up to us with some great play this year. You never know. If he is clearly mailing it in and not trying, then I'll be boo his ass off the field. But I'll give him a chance to work hard and prove he wants to be here before I pass too much judgment.

6. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a fair statement. I'm in full agreement with him working hard to earn back the respect and admiration of his fans. I'll most likely boo him as loud as I can, but will leave the door slightly adjar for him to win back my good graces with some amazing play. I just wish he cared, even a little, about retaining his fanbase here in L.A.

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    i did not think this mess could have turned out any worse. i am quite literally beyond pissed; i simply don't care anymore. with the 10% discount, the unused bonus games and a few tickets i sold, my season seats are dead cheap. the galaxy has 16 home games to convince me to return as a sth.

8. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I voted for the last one.

I don't want to see him in a Galaxy jersey again.

He showed his true colors over the past few months with all his statements and actions.

He can say all the pretty, manufactured PR niceties all he wants from now until he's blue in the face and it won't mean a thing to me.

His teammates deserve better. They have my respect.

I'm done with thinking or speaking of David Beckham.

9. KingsQueen949

KingsQueen949 New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Screw Beckham. I'm going to watch a real futbol star - Marta! Go Sol!! :p

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please do not start any more unnecessary Beckham threads/polls.

Keep it here.

11. SIR-T

SIR-T New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I'm just glad David Beckham has left this football club. It's obvious he was being used by the league, and the club as a money maker. The fans worshiped him when he arrived, showed annoyance at him when he was injured (even though the club was making millions of his name), and hate him now he's left.

L.A. should be grateful for the time Beckham was at the club, because your revenue and popularity will dwindle now he has gone.

12. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you don't think any other club, including AC Milan's fans, would feel the same way if he showed them the same kind of disrespect and lack of quality while he wore their jersey? Come on, have you never been a fan before? When was the last time you saw disloyalty rewarded by fans of any team in any sport? The fans never cared about the money the club was making. AEG did/does. The fans have always cared about the quality of the product on the field. I could care less about revenue and popularity as long as we win some matches.

13. Laudrup13

Laudrup13 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC København

I don't know where to start.

1. Becks ain't nothing special, (as most of you allready know, i guess)
    The reason why he got him self a big name is cause he played at Manchester United. But if you look at the players he played with, he was not a star in any matter. I am a United fan, and i loved the fella when he played for us. 3 things he does good. Freekick, croosses, and fighting for the team. Thats all.

When he went to Madrid, it was clear they only bougt him for he's name. They paid like 15-20 mio pound, and made 5 times that on shirts and other PR.

If i'm not remebering to wrong, you guys had péle for a couple of years, and most likely anohter 10 players that is considered better.
    Are there still people in the U.S who thinks of him as the best footballer in the world?

I will give you some footage of some of them who can play football.
    ( you proberly know em' all;) )

I am sorry if i have underestimated your knowledge of this great game, but had to be sure.

You can tell you daughter that she ain't gonna miss nothing. And if she just wanted to see him, i don't petty you one bit. Football is not a fashion show.

If you are real football fans, you will go see manchester vs barcelona in the CL.

I hope you won't have to see becks back for a long time, for both american and european football sake.

cheers.

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    statements like this expose a distinct lack of knowledge about the game in general and beckham specifically. it comes across as bitter and distracts from legitimate criticism of his behavior.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    :confused: Except he hasn't left.

16. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wtf? why did this guy just post like 30 random youtube videos in this thread?

17. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? You don't like seeing some thug karate kick someone in the stands with his studs? LOL, but that has everything to do with the Galaxy doesn't it? Don't we all feel like that fan? :eek:

18. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is everyone this morning? The time change getting people?

Some very interesting thoughts from Ives about the deal. While I think SBI is a good resource for news, I don't always (or even often) agree with Ives when he expresses his opinions. I do agree with most of this post though.

I can't believe Beckham is willing to give up over 3 mil to play 10 more games for Milan. That's incredible. I don't even know what to make of that.

This is really interesting. I hadn't heard anything about this yet. This makes it seem Beckham may be here for the long haul. Maybe we loan him back to Milan after this season, then he comes back next year after the WC. But...

Obviously this is the key. He SAYS he wants to play for LA, and still wants to achieve things in MLS. We'll see if that's true by how he plays.

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely!
    But of course Beckham has to waive half of his salary. He's missing more that half the season. Won't AC Milan compensate him, possibly at about that rate? Maybe I'm missing something...

This makes it seem like Beckham's not kicking in personal funds, really, unless he opts out at the end of the year.

I'm sure we'll be reading a lot about this.

20. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't change for a few more weeks over here. So it's just a normal monday afternoon. But now we're only 7hrs ahead of you, as opposed to 8.

Right, that makes sense. But Galinari (or whoever) keeps going on and on about how Beckham is making this huge financial sacrifice. It will be interesting to see exactly what's going on. I'm sure you're right, we'll defintley hear more soon.

21. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F.......you...David Beckham :eek:

22. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Can you blame Becks really for wanting to leave L.A Galaxy , he wants to play for England in 2010 and he wont achieve that playing in the MLS will he.

23. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deal Done = Goose Cooked

What did we learn?

Becks wants out. (Check)

AC Milan "has" to play meaningless friendly (Check)

Donovan given captaincy because now Timmy hates becks (Check)

Bruce signs moses to play starting center back (Check)

Fans get to relive Galaxy season 2007 all over again (Check)

What is that saying about the more things change..... how does the rest go.

24. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not our problem. He should have thought about that prior to committing to a 5 year contract. He was obviously more concerned with the $$ than the football...and now all of the sudden he's concerned about the football again. The man changes his mind more often than...fill in the blank here.

So yes.... I can, do, and will blame him for wanting to leave.

25. wiganer1

wiganer1 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC

i agree that beckham came to the U.S to promote his brand and acadamies and not really to play football but if he wanted to win things in America he should of joined NY red bulls ( i follow them in the MLS) plus beckham is only 1 player and he isnt a striker he is a playmaker he needs quality players to set up which he hasnt got